Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 7, 2019, Part 2/2

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 7, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Nice collection Lars, Apack... here’s mine as promised. Just a Smile factory variant. I’m going to try and pick up a Kader and MIM... and maybe a degraded cape variant... Ledy is out of my price range
Another beautifully clean and mint example, Jay! :-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:27 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Nice collection Lars, Apack... here’s mine as promised. Just a Smile factory variant. I’m going to try and pick up a Kader and MIM... and maybe a degraded cape variant... Ledy is out of my price range
Thanks mate for the very kind words :D

Nice figure, it looks mint 8) what is a Smile factory variant ? never heard about it for squid head :?

and what is a Kader ?

I hope you find the figures you are looking for :wink:

Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:

Nice figure, it looks mint 8) what is a Smile factory variant ? never heard about it for squid head :?

and what is a Kader ?

I believe that they were the two factories for the HK figures.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Mini99 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

and what is a Kader ?

:shock: I am lost :lol:

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Mini99 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

and what is a Kader ?

A guy called Mark Andrews has done some good recent research on FB on Squid Head. He has identified 4 variants: Smile, Kader, Made in Mexico (Euro No Coos) and Ledy. Smile and Kader share the Hong Kong CoOs and are the most commonly available variants. There are minor differences between the figure moulds and accessories.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Another beautifully clean and mint example, Jay! :-)
Just picked up another with the mintiest cape I have ever seen without a stitch dropped on the collar. Impressive... most impressive. :D

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Mini99 wrote: I believe that they were the two factories for the HK figures.
A guy called Mark Andrews has done some good recent research on FB on Squid Head. He has identified 4 variants: Smile, Kader, Made in Mexico (Euro No Coos) and Ledy. Smile and Kader share the Hong Kong CoOs and are the most commonly available variants. There are minor differences between the figure moulds and accessories.
Nice, I did not know about smile and kader, can you tell me more about them ? what do I have to look for ? :D

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Nice, I did not know about smile and kader, can you tell me more about them ? what do I have to look for ? :D
Hi Lars, I’m sure I’ve read a brilliant article on the Kenner factories that produced the figures we know and love, but I can’t find it at the moment.

One way of variant collecting is through the mold or Coo variants. If like Wolff wBobafett, Alex Magraw (Luke Bespin), John Meade (Yoda) or Mark Andrews (Squid Head) they have gone a step further and identified what Coo relates to which factory. They identify the differences in mold, as well as the different accessories that were produced at each factory. Knowing the size of your collection you will have many of these variants already, you will just not of related them to the individual factories.

Here are a couple of links to articles on factories that I could find written by Wolff:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t68 ... tory-codes
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/factory-codes/

Identifying moulds and accessories is easier when it is a figure like Squid Head, but when it is Luke Bespin it is a lifelong discovery. Check out the extraordinary work by General Khan (Alex Magraw) on Luke Bespin on the Tantive XI forum:
http://www.tantivexi.com/t1419-luke-bes ... uke+bespin

Another person who has done some brilliant work is Jon Meade on Yoda. Not only has he identified which factories made which figure and what accessories go with which one (which is no mean feat given Yoda had 4 accessories), but he has also determined what Yoda came with each card Back variant for all Kenner, Palitoy and foreign cardbacks. His brilliant work can be found on the Yoda group on Facebook, should you ever succumb to the dark side and join.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote: A guy called Mark Andrews has done some good recent research on FB on Squid Head. He has identified 4 variants: Smile, Kader, Made in Mexico (Euro No Coos) and Ledy. Smile and Kader share the Hong Kong CoOs and are the most commonly available variants. There are minor differences between the figure moulds and accessories.
Hi Lars, I’m sure I’ve read a brilliant article on the Kenner factories that produced the figures we know and love, but I can’t find it at the moment.

One way of variant collecting is through the mold or Coo variants. If like Wolff wBobafett, Alex Magraw (Luke Bespin), John Meade (Yoda) or Mark Andrews (Squid Head) they have gone a step further and identified what Coo relates to which factory. They identify the differences in mold, as well as the different accessories that were produced at each factory. Knowing the size of your collection you will have many of these variants already, you will just not of related them to the individual factories.

Here are a couple of links to articles on factories that I could find written by Wolff:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t68 ... tory-codes
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/factory-codes/

Identifying moulds and accessories is easier when it is a figure like Squid Head, but when it is Luke Bespin it is a lifelong discovery. Check out the extraordinary work by General Khan (Alex Magraw) on Luke Bespin on the Tantive XI forum:
http://www.tantivexi.com/t1419-luke-bes ... uke+bespin

Another person who has done some brilliant work is Jon Meade on Yoda. Not only has he identified which factories made which figure and what accessories go with which one (which is no mean feat given Yoda had 4 accessories), but he has also determined what Yoda came with each card Back variant for all Kenner, Palitoy and foreign cardbacks. His brilliant work can be found on the Yoda group on Facebook, should you ever succumb to the dark side and join.
Thanks mate for the info and the links, so much still to learn :wink: and I thought I was at the dark side :lol: but I will still try to stay away from facebook :D I have just found another variant to my squid head collection between the 6 I had in a bag from some different loft find :D

s1d0w
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by s1d0w » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 am

Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 10.07.59.png
Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 10.07.59.png (745.79 KiB) Viewed 125 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:45 pm

s1d0w wrote:Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 10.07.59.png
Wow! Lots of great additions to multiple threads. Thanks for sharing your terrific collection :-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am

s1d0w wrote:Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 10.07.59.png
Nice figure, thanks mate for sharing it :D