SWTOTW, Week 13, 2019, Part 1/2 Droid Factory

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Droid Factory:

factory.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I don't collect play sets as a rule, but as this set includes R2 I had to get this one.
Not the best of condition but complete.
74481252-3328-4A84-89CF-724E18BFEF2C.jpeg

And if anyone can help I'm still looking for one of the parts lists. Imagine below, cheers.

Attachments

• 91CB6C92-DFC7-4FEC-8B5B-4B9F23E80DB0.jpeg
    91CB6C92-DFC7-4FEC-8B5B-4B9F23E80DB0.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,026

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
I don't collect play sets as a rule, but as this set includes R2 I had to get this one.

And if anyone can help I'm still looking for one of the parts lists. Imagine below, cheers.

I think it looks great, what is wrong with it ? :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Mini99 said:

Many thanks.
The box is rattier than I would like, other than that it's fine.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:

You say 'not the best condition', but it's still very nice to see! Plus, as you quite rightly say, you get a 3-legged R2, and what's not to like about that?

Thanks for sharing :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK Lars, you didn't want to separate the Kenner and Palitoy Droid Factories either, so here goes...

For anyone unfamiliar with the differences between the 2 sets, it's not just the packaging which differs. Although more similar to each other than either of the Land of the Jawas or Cantina playset pairs, the two versions of the Droid Factory still contain significant differences from one another, despite all the droid parts being the same in each set.

However, before we begin I would like to highlight a couple of (hopefully!) interesting things about the Palitoy Droid Factory. Firstly, it is the only vintage Star Wars toy with a partial name plate on the packaging. Eventually of course, both Kenner and Palitoy dispensed with the name plates on all of their toy packaging apart from the carded figures (which kept them to the end of the run), however the Palitoy Droid Factory is the only one with the job half-done; it's missing the oval surround around the name:

01 - Name Plates.jpg

Secondly, the Palitoy Droid Factory plastic base comes in two completely different colours, despite its packaging not changing. A few other toys also changed colour during their production runs, but their packaging usually changed at the same time, e.g. the TIE Fighter comes in both white and blue versions, but its packaging changed at the same time. The white TIE Fighter is never found in Jedi packaging and the blue one is never found in Star Wars or Empire packaging.

However, the Palitoy Droid Factory base came in both canary yellow and blue versions, despite the box never changing and only ever showing the blue one. When you bought a Palitoy Droid Factory, you had no idea which version you were getting until you opened the box! Incidentally, my childhood Palitoy Droid Factory was a yellow one, and because I never bought a second one (well, why would I? ;-)), it wasn't until adulthood that I learned to my considerable surprise that the blue version also existed! Prior to that, I'd simply assumed the blue one shown on the box was a misleading con, and I was even quite cross and disappointed about it as a child as I wanted it to be blue to match the one on the box, which I thought looked much better! :lol:

Interestingly, the base of the Kenner version also comes in two colours; a light brown and a darker brown. However, the toy was reissued in Empire Strikes Back packaging with its original light brown base, and it was, to the very best of my knowledge, a late running change in its new Empire packaging which saw the base switch to the darker brown version. I do not believe the darker brown one ever came in the original Star Wars packaging, but I am of course happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken.

Lastly, for those that don't know, the 3-legged R2-D2 which came with these sets has a sticker which is a mirror image of the regular carded 2-legged R2-D2's sticker. God knows how the error occurred, but it does at least help identify some fake stickers for the 3-legged version once you know about it! :)

Also, the Palitoy and Kenner versions of the stickers are not the same, making each set's version of the 3-legged R2-D2 unique.

Anyway, the Droid Factory!:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Kenner: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Palitoy:

Base: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Light or dark brown hard plastic with moving crane. _ Bright yellow or blue, flimsy plastic, card-backed, no crane.

Base Stickers: _ _ _ _ _ _ None. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Unique stickers for the base.

Droid Stickers: _ _ _ _ _ _ Bright glossy finish. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Very different dull, darker, matte finish, but otherwise same as Kenner.

3-legged R2-D2 Sticker: _ Glossy, bright blue mirror image of carded R2-D2. _ _ Mirror image again, but dull, matte, dark blue with different details.

02 - Ken DF.jpg

03 - Ken DF.jpg

04 - Ken DF.jpg

05 - Ken DF.jpg

06 - Pal DF.jpg

07 - Pal DF.jpg

08 - Pal DF.jpg

09 - Pal DF.jpg

10 - R2 Comparison.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And since I recently took some extra comparison photos for another thread to highlight the differences between the two Droid Factory versions of R2, it seems appropriate to post them again here:

3-Legged Comparison 01.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 02.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 03.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 04.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 05.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 06.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 07.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Pomse2001 said:
Mini99 said:

Many thanks.
The box is rattier than I would like, other than that it's fine.

Ok I think the box is ok but yes it could be better, will you try to upgrade it ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
And since I recently took some extra comparison photos for another thread to highlight the differences between the two Droid Factory versions of R2, it seems appropriate to post them again here:

3-Legged Comparison 01.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 02.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 03.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 04.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 05.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 06.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 07.jpg

wow mate thanks for sharing your huge collection and all the great info, again I learned something new about the playset, thanks :D

I can see you have 2 palitoy playsets, but do you only have one box ? :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
wow mate thanks for sharing your huge collection and all the great info, again I learned something new about the playset, thanks :D

Thanks, Lars. Actually now I only own the yellow one. I used to own the blue one too, but sold it a while ago. I included the picture here for comparison purposes. I don't display my items out of their boxes, and since I couldn't see the contents, it seemed a little extravagant to display two boxes which otherwise looked the same! :D

coomber75

Sith Lord
im hoping this will be my next purchase to get me there re the r2s never had it as a kid, great knowledge as always folks, every days a school day here :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks, Lars. Actually now I only own the yellow one. I used to own the blue one too, but sold it a while ago. I included the picture here for comparison purposes. I don't display my items out of their boxes, and since I couldn't see the contents, it seemed a little extravagant to display two boxes which otherwise looked the same! :D

ok thanks mate for the info, after this I also need to buy a blue one now :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Some older pictures of my Kenner set

Droid%20Factory%2005.jpg

Droid%20Factory%2006.jpg

Droid%20Factory%2008.jpg

Droid%20Factory%2009.jpg

Droid%20Factory%2010.jpg

and some new pictures of my palitoy set, that only miss a few parts before it is complete :D

P1180376.JPG

P1180378.JPG

P1180377.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom