Amazing vintage find!

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I just wanted to share with you folks something amazing that happened last week to me. :D

Last Thursday I got a text from my mate Andy at work:-
"My brother is renovating a flat and has found star wars figures in original packaging, photos to follow"

Obviously the kind of message we all want to get. :eek:

Anyway after a lot of messaging back and forth back on Whatsapp turns out his brothers girlfriend owns a flat in Dumfries, in which stayed a long term tenant. The tenant being an old boy who 'collected stuff'. After many years the old boy passed away and eventually they got round to doing the flat up. His brother found bags of various things but recognised one bag as being SW figures.

A picture still hadn't turned up by this point. In my mind I figured it would be modern stuff, POTF2 at the most maybe. Then this picture arrived...

IMG-20190412-WA0005_zpsnifggukr.jpg

I almost died.

After more rapid whatsapp's back and forth he was bringing them back home for me to look at. His brother had found them in a plastic bag in the eves of the flat. 9 figures, all carded. Apparently there was bags of 'stuff' taken to the charity shop - god knows what was in them, I never found out!! His brother only recognised the SW logos.

2 days I had to wait before Andy and his wife returned home and I could go and look a them, all the time trying to figure out what I should offer and how I was going to pay for them should they take on offer! I explained about each of the figures and a brief history of the line and where these ones fit in. The bubbles are not perfect and by no means are any of these cards mint.

I explained that individually they could be worth a fair bit. I tentatively made an initial offer - which they refused! They made me a counter offer which was much lower! He phoned his brother and decided they'd met me half way. I got these figs for a fraction of what they might have got elsewhere but knowing my love for SW they just wanted me to have them. They planned to give the money to charity (Alzheimers) and just wanted a donation for them. I was absolutely flabbergasted!

These won't be getting flipped or the like, I don't have any of these figures carded in any form and I certainly don't have an ESB Palitoy!! They will be getting cleaned up and put in acrylic cases and on my shelf. I'm so chuffed. :D A big thank you to Andy and his wife (even though they'll never read this!)

This sort of thing never happens to me and is only the kind of thing I've read here on the forum. It just shows you there is still stuff out there!

Ricky

PS. Shout out to my mate Stevie (Nita Nitro on here) I was on the phone for half an hour with him buzzing on adrenaline after picking these up! :lol:

IMG_20190414_174308635_zpskmwcucsk.jpg

IMG_20190414_174301756_zpstdsjfxui.jpg

IMG_20190414_174257648_zpswvafgpgr.jpg

IMG_20190414_174253749_zpsztbjiasn.jpg

IMG_20190414_174248048_zpsc5agdtqy.jpg

...and one has a John Menzies stickerwhich has been on my wants list for yonks!! 8)
IMG_20190414_175122835_zpsgfmcflqa.jpg

IMG_20190414_174241790_zpsk67r6tm7.jpg

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I'm chuffed for you! These are the kind of finds/stories that give a real buzz. Congratulations!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
What a wonderful story, we all dream of the day we get that phone call!

I most of those cardbacks can be sorted out with a few weeks under some heavy books and then they'll pop in some of Christians cases

Congratulations

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great find, super story backing it up, aside from the fantastic pieces of SW you have, the unselfish dealings by the people selling them and gifting to such a worthy cause and your dealings of openness with them.
Congratulations on the find, and thanks for posting up such a feelgood story.

Palifan

Sith Lord
That's a fantastic find and good on you for trying to offer a reasonable price first off. That Yoda 30 back is probably missing from a fair few collectors collections so that's a big score right there.

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Congratulations! Great find and story, and brilliant that you are keeping them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom