Boushh Cardback Art

Hod10

Padawan
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone might know why the card-back art for Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise appears to be an illustration / hand rendered art? I can't find any information on this and curious...

Why would kenner use an illustrator instead of a film still for this particular figure? Was it some type of conceptual art originally for the film!? Lighting issues from the available stills!?

It was the fIrst figure I bought of the shelf following watching the film. I'm sure I didn't even realise it was hand rendered back then.

Thought I'd put the question out there. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

batman

Padawan
Most of the cardback art is touched up with airbrush as they did not have digital photo editing back then. In this case the picture from the Jabba's palace scene was most likely too dark and gloomy to use untouched.

Hod10

Padawan
Thanks mate. I didn't know the technique was air brush. I see the modern vintage line card uses that original palace still it was worked on then (untouched but digitally enhanced). I guess it's quite nice that it was rendered, a sign of the times.

poncho

Grand Master
Original still used

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190428-003448_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190428-003448_Samsung Internet.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 929

Hod10

Padawan
Yep, I've done a quick merge attached here. If it was airbrush (kinda working with/over the still), among other things the brief to the artist could of been to also make the image replicate the actual figure more... which would be a bit odd but nice.

Attachments

• Boushh_1983-2018.jpg
    Boushh_1983-2018.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 914

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Weirdly, I hadn't noticed it before. It looks like it was done in the same style as the Gam Guard and Klaatu even though those are bordering on Andy Warhol.

Hod10

Padawan
Same here, I hadn't really stopped to think about it until fairly recently and couldn't quite work it out. The figure itself appears to be loosely based on conceptual art for ROTJ and so it would be unusual to make the final packaging art reflect that too, but appears they probably did.

Attachments

• boushh_concept.jpg
    boushh_concept.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 735
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom