Hell has frozen over

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can't believe it - today is the penultimate day of the month, tomorrow is pay day, and I haven't bought a single Star Wars item :eek: I'm pretty sure this is the first month since 2014, when I started collecting again after the earlier theft, that I haven't bought anything for my collection.

I haven't quite been completely innocent, I have bought a games console, a few records and a couple of computer games. I'm not one for setting a budget as that has never worked for me, but I regularly set myself the goal of not buying any Star Wars toys for a full month yet usually fail, so am very pleased that I have finally managed it!

I think there are a few reasons - as you may have seen I had a baby 6 weeks ago, and my job is pretty busy at the moment, so I have had less time to browse for things to buy. I have lots of eBay saved searches, but none have yielded any decent SW stuff this month. And also I'm not sure about anyone else, but I definitely think the market is cooling off at the moment so whereas a year or two ago I would buy things that obviously I liked but also seemed like good 'investments', now I'm really only buying things I want for my collection.

Anyone else slowed down recently? Or like me struggle to go without buying stuff every month?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yep having a Baby will slow you down for sure.

I go in patches, depending on funds as well, as I have 2 grandchildren so lots of purchases going on there as well now!

I think as I've progressed I have a clearer head on what I want to collect as well now

I'm sure you'll make up for it this month Edd :lol:

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
I can't believe it - today is the penultimate day of the month, tomorrow is pay day, and I haven't bought a single Star Wars item :eek: I'm pretty sure this is the first month since 2014, when I started collecting again after the earlier theft, that I haven't bought anything for my collection.

I haven't quite been completely innocent, I have bought a games console, a few records and a couple of computer games. I'm not one for setting a budget as that has never worked for me, but I regularly set myself the goal of not buying any Star Wars toys for a full month yet usually fail, so am very pleased that I have finally managed it!

I think there are a few reasons - as you may have seen I had a baby 6 weeks ago, and my job is pretty busy at the moment, so I have had less time to browse for things to buy. I have lots of eBay saved searches, but none have yielded any decent SW stuff this month. And also I'm not sure about anyone else, but I definitely think the market is cooling off at the moment so whereas a year or two ago I would buy things that obviously I liked but also seemed like good 'investments', now I'm really only buying things I want for my collection.

Anyone else slowed down recently? Or like me struggle to go without buying stuff every month?

Congratulations on your baby Edd. Agree the market is cool ATM

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Well done Edd, an entire month! I've certainly slowed down this year, only one MOC so far. I'm not sure what has happened to my finances, I have only just recovered from Christmas and I have 3 birthdays and an anniversary within the next month.

I will be back strong in the summer though. :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm finding it really easy not to buy ATM. Other than a lovely little MOC from Stu and a recent pick up thanks to Steve S I really haven't bought much in the way of vintage for some months, well, MOCs at least.

I find it easy because whilst I only buy Palitoy/Trilogo I won't get into the insane price wars that those two can attract. I do not have to own a figure at any cost so when it passes the point I want to pay....I don't. With not having a steady income I can't afford to drop £500 on a toy without considering the consequences. Now more than ever I need to consider the resale value of something when buying it as you never know when a flat period of sales may come along and I need to start flogging the family silverware (specifically referring to my Trilogo DSD and IG-88 here as when I sell those it means either I hate SW or they've cut the water off).

And yes, the market has cooled off nicely. There's still a little way to go and sure, some stuff is still escalating away but gravity has an effect on everything, including vintage SW prices it seems.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Definitively been a quiet few months for me. I've not had as much work lately and I've had a few bills to pay off. I've only really bought that pbp mint green Walrus Man and Klaatu Molded Green Face in the last 2 months. Some of that's to do with money restrictions and some of it is because there's not been too much on the market of great interest of late. I can't afford to drop the kind of money they do on the Facebook groups so I have to sit back and pick the best of the bargains on ebay.

lejackal

Grand Master
Made you look :lol:

I've not bought much in the way of Star Wars but I have bought a load of random stuff, which could get worse immanently as I'm eyeing up a Master System and Megadrive.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
It does you good to have a break I reckon.

Not bought anything for ages. I had a clear out a while back and realised I've got loads of stuff already which isn't displayed, so do I really need to buy more? The things I want seem to go up and up so I feel less obliged to buy. I feel robbed if I overpay for something. I'm sitting tight for a while, hoping things cool off. Only buying stuff I really want. That said it's Echo at the weekend so I'll probably blow a bit there.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:

I've not bought much in the way of Star Wars but I have bought a load of random stuff, which could get worse immanently as I'm eyeing up a Master System and Megadrive.
Do it...your never look back!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
lejackal said:

Alex The Kid 8)

coomber75

Sith Lord
yep ive not had much in ages, have got two pieces to pick up at the weekend but like most am selling off other bits to either upgrade or because not displayed and so wasted packed away. still plenty of bargains to be had on ebay so spend my time trawling there... sunday landed me a die cast y wing and bomb for 9.78 posted :D

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I've certainly noticed a slow down over the last couple of months in particular, from a selling perspective anyway. Despite trying to save for a big holiday I've still been picking up a steady stream of goodies. But when it comes to selling, items certainly haven't been going at a pace. Personally I think it's been down to Celebration and Echo. A lot of people have been saving their cash for those events. I suspect things will pick up again in the summer. But in the meantime I seem to have been able to pick up a few bits a quite reasonable prices whilst everyone hangs tight with their cash.

maxf

Jedi Master
Ive got builders in making me a collection room (ie a study) at the moment but havent bought anything for ages... Ive not added to my palitoy run since well before Christmas. Let's see if vectis today changes that... I suspect not somehow!

Crumm

Padawan
Things have definitely slowed down in the past month or two.

Not many sales going on in the forums, and the pickings on ebay ain't that good either. I have been keeping my eye out for a few of Jabba's goons etc (the cheap end of the market) and there are not even too many of them to go at. Usually you can take your pick.

FB groups seem to be doing ok, but the prices on there range from the sublime to the ridiculous and everything in between.

Maybe the new film in December will give it a shot in the arm?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom