SWTOTW, Week 19, 2019, Part 2/2 Klaatu (Skiff Guard Outfit)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Klaatu (Skiff Guard Outfit):

klaatu.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Not content with giving us just one Klaatu figure, Kenner decided to give us two! Quite why they felt this character warranted two versions instead of one, with the other figure slot going to another of Jabba's Palace aliens (Hermi Odle, Oola, Ephant Mon, Ishi Tib, etc.) is quite beyond me. Whatever the reason, it resulted in a figure which probably won't feature that highly on many collectors list of favourite figures, but despite that, there are some genuinely interesting variants to be found on Klaatu Skiff Guard in the Lili Ledy line. I have no idea what happened to the Mexican quality control, but it resulted in Klaatu's usually brown back to his hood being painted black in some variants, and left completely unpainted in others. The green face paint on the Lili Ledy versions is also noticeably darker, however it's the hoods that really stand out, and as such it's the only vintage figure you might seriously consider displaying facing away from you :lol:

Here are mine. From let to right, a regular Kenner, an unpainted hood Lili Ledy, and two black hood Lili Ledy variants with different shades of brown paint used on the boots and skirt:

(N.B. One other thing, I don't know if they all did, but at least some of the Lili Ledy versions came with a vibro axe (like Weequay), instead of the staff weapon shown below. That's all very well and good, but with my three at least, their hands are too small to hold them, so I've given them staffs instead... Good job Lili Ledy! ;-))

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 01.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 02.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 03.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 04.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Another one of my mintiest figures, but who hasn't got one of these mint! Don't think he was played with much by kids in the 80s :lol:

Attachments

• 93F88FD3-8B7A-4B69-9595-A46A755C3A78.jpeg
    93F88FD3-8B7A-4B69-9595-A46A755C3A78.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 772
  • 31449841-549A-43EE-B9B6-2A2E4896E187.jpeg
    31449841-549A-43EE-B9B6-2A2E4896E187.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 757
  • F1CA8809-941D-44FB-87E2-2CB49BBEAB99.jpeg
    F1CA8809-941D-44FB-87E2-2CB49BBEAB99.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 755

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Not content with giving us just one Klaatu figure, Kenner decided to give us two! Quite why they felt this character warranted two versions instead of one, with the other figure slot going to another of Jabba's Palace aliens (Hermi Odle, Oola, Ephant Mon, Ishi Tib, etc.) is quite beyond me. Whatever the reason, it resulted in a figure which probably won't feature that highly on many collectors list of favourite figures, but despite that, there are some genuinely interesting variants to be found on Klaatu Skiff Guard in the Lili Ledy line. I have no idea what happened to the Mexican quality control, but it resulted in Klaatu's usually brown back to his hood being painted black in some variants, and left completely unpainted in others. The green face paint on the Lili Ledy versions is also noticeably darker, however it's the hoods that really stand out, and as such it's the only vintage figure you might seriously consider displaying facing away from you :lol:

Here are mine. From let to right, a regular Kenner, an unpainted hood Lili Ledy, and two black hood Lili Ledy variants with different shades of brown paint used on the boots and skirt:

(N.B. One other thing, I don't know if they all did, but at least some of the Lili Ledy versions came with a vibro axe (like Weequay), instead of the staff weapon shown below. That's all very well and good, but with my three at least, their hands are too small to hold them, so I've given them staffs instead... Good job Lili Ledy! ;-))

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 01.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 02.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 03.jpg

Why Did Kenner Make 2 Klaatus! - 04.jpg

wow lovely collection of variants, I must admit I like the klaatu figure, but I also agree, why make 2 different klaatu figures when there are many others that was not made :? but then again maybe they had an idea about making some of the ones that we did not get before they cancelled the star wars production :? I remember that they had an idea for more droids and ewok cartoon figures. But I have never heard about ideas for more ROTJ figures :?

I agree this is a figure that we should consider displaying facing away from you :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Another one of my mintiest figures, but who hasn't got one of these mint! Don't think he was played with much by kids in the 80s :lol:

nice figure and cardback. Funny I never had one when I was a kid and none of my friends had one when I was a kid :lol: so we did not have any klaatu skiff guard to play with :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
wow lovely collection of variants, I must admit I like the klaatu figure, but I also agree, why make 2 different klaatu figures when there are many others that was not made :? but then again maybe they had an idea about making some of the ones that we did not get before they cancelled the star wars production :? I remember that they had an idea for more droids and ewok cartoon figures. But I have never heard about ideas for more ROTJ figures :?

I agree this is a figure that we should consider displaying facing away from you :lol:
Thanks Lars.

Since you've resurrected this thread to kindly compliment the contributors, perhaps I should take this opportunity to update my photos, since I was recently fortunate enough to upgrade one of my black hood Lili Ledys to one with no paint rubs on the face or hood. Here's the new look line-up :)

Take 2 - 01.jpg

Take 2 - 02.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks Lars.

Since you've resurrected this thread to kindly compliment the contributors, perhaps I should take this opportunity to update my photos, since I was recently fortunate enough to upgrade one of my black hood Lili Ledys to one with no paint rubs on the face or hood. Here's the new look line-up :)

Take 2 - 01.jpg

Take 2 - 02.jpg

Thanks mate for the update, that new lili ledy, looks much better than the other, great update.

I will try to find my klaatu figures so I can share them in the thread in the weekend :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for the update, that new lili ledy, looks much better than the other, great update.

I will try to find my klaatu figures so I can share them in the thread in the weekend :D

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing your figures :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom