I just did something I've never done before...

tigerham

Sith Lord
(Really careless of me)

So... I was attempting to open up my display unit with all the MOC's still in the unit (in their GW acrylic cases). Previously I've opened it knowing well that they wobble when opening the unit door.

This time was unforgiving. It jolted and as it did the top MOC wobbled and at the same time the one below wobbled and both at the same time dropped from a height and smashed on the floor.

The bottom one, because of dropping from a lower height just smashed the corner of the GW acrylic case (solid things). It contained my Tri-logo Pop-Up R2 MOC. It was safe fortunately.

Unfortunately the same could not be said for the one above. It was a hard to find piece that a friend on here so kindly let go of to me knowing I was in need of it for my collection. It was a Palitoy ROTJ 45bk R2 Sensorscope which I had been searching for a while. The case smashed to pieces and all I could see was the MOC face down.

I turned over the MOC only to find the bubble empty. My face dropped like a bomb! Across the room was the R2 laying on it's back. I managed to carefully force it back in the bubble (and luckily it was a force otherwise it would easily slip out and the bubble). The bubble was all their apart from one very small piece.

It still displays well (thankfully) but I humbly apologise to not only my friend but to the hobby. Absolute carelessness and lesson learnt fast.

Palitoy R2.jpg

Palitoy R2 bubble.jpg

tigerham

Sith Lord
EDIT: The damage was only to the bubble. The R2 itself is fine and the cardback was already in it's condition in the photos.

tigerham

Sith Lord
If there is any positive out of all this it was the lowest valued MOC out of all I have that got the damage so it could have been much worse.

I'm already on the case of securing the cases in their spaces within the unit.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Ham, I'm really sorry to hear this! What a bummer for you :-(. I'm glad you're able to find something positive out of this horrible accident, and thank you for posting the story here as a warning to others to make sure their collections are as safe, stable and as secured as possible. Hopefully your post might prevent the same thing happening to someone else.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Ham, I'm really sorry to hear this! What a bummer for you :-(. I'm glad you're able to find something positive out of this horrible accident, and thank you for posting the story here as a warning to others to make sure their collections are as safe, stable and as secured as possible. Hopefully your post might prevent the same thing happening to someone else.

Thank you Jeremy.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Oh no really sorry for you, every collectors worse nightmare. It still displays great.

These things just happen some times. :(

tigerham

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Oh no really sorry for you, every collectors worse nightmare. It still displays great.

These things just happen some times. :(

Thank you, appreciate the kind words.

Human error. :roll:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
That really is the pits when that happens, gutted for you mate :(

Happened to me more than once on my loose display, you'd only have to touch the cabinet and the DSD would send 50% of the others into freefall. Still nowhere near as bad as having MOC's take a fall :(

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
Mate, it can happen to anyone. I've been quite fortunate over the years but we had a fairly substantial earthquake up here about ten years ago and certain MOC's were up-ended upon entering my collection room.
Fortunately nothing fell from a great height and most of my cards were ungraded and in starcases which didn't wobble or fall, including that R2 :wink:

Ah well Ham, it could've been worse.

Regards

tigerham

Sith Lord
Pulsar said:
Mate, it can happen to anyone. I've been quite fortunate over the years but we had a fairly substantial earthquake up here about ten years ago and certain MOC's were up-ended upon entering my collection room.
Fortunately nothing fell from a great height and most of my cards were ungraded and in starcases which didn't wobble or fall, including that R2 :wink:

Regards

Thanks Paul, the only way I can look at it is iot could have been worse.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
tigerham said:
Pulsar said:

Regards

A very philosophical approach...but still heart breaking.
Sorry to read this, no one goes out to damage a MOC, so I feel for you.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
tigerham said:
Pulsar said:

Regards

A very philosophical approach...but still heart breaking.
Sorry to read this, no one goes out to damage a MOC, so I feel for you.

Thank you Nick, appreciated my friend.

coomber75

Sith Lord
the fear of cases and heights lives me always!, fortunately r2s a tough little fella and the card still displays well i dread the day i have that similar event

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Ouch.sorry to hear it bud. This is exactly why i will be making runners/guides to secure my MOCs on the top of a shelf. Both top and bottom are being secured to stop this.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Oh dear, sorry to hear this Ham but all not lost, accidents happen no matter how careful you are, it's just one of those things and something you can't turn back time on.
Put it behind you, there's no way you can change what's happened only thing you can do is learn from mistakes in life and move on, and don't beat yourself up,on it.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Oh dear, sorry to hear this Ham but all not lost, accidents happen no matter how careful you are, it's just one of those things and something you can't turn back time on.
Put it behind you, there's no way you can change what's happened only thing you can do is learn from mistakes in life and move on, and don't beat yourself up,on it.

Thank you Mike and absolutely. Lesson to learn for sure and learnt.

Thank you all for you kind words. Appreciated.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
tigerham said:
Michael Sith said:

I would be interested to know how your going to secure your cases in future, as this is something that I have been pondering on for a while now.
The problem that I have is that I often have a change around so don't want anything permanent.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
tigerham said:
Michael Sith said:

I would be interested to know how your going to secure your cases in future, as this is something that I have been pondering on for a while now.
The problem that I have is that I often have a change around so don't want anything permanent.

Hi Nick. I was thinking of some kind of plastic telescopic screw jack and attach soft white pads to protect the casing ( but in white)...

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 07.41.56.png

Either one on either side or just one on the top. Either will be enough to hold it in place in relation to the force that would be given to jolt the cases.

Just something that is minimal to see.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
You could always run two lengths of fishing line horizontally, one high up across the top of the cases and one low down across the bottom. It will be unobtrusive, and should certainly prevent the cases from toppling forwards, plus it will be a simple matter of inserting and removing the cases whenever you want to.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I ran three lengths of fishing line across the top of one of my cabinets in case I had any toppling figures that needed securing via an additional line coming down vertically to support them. I intended to use the horizontal lines to tie the vertical ones to, but as it happens very few of the figures needed it. However, it gives you an idea of how unobtrusive fishing line can be:

Attachments

• Fishing Line.jpg
    Fishing Line.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 830
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom