Unique Action Figure smell!

Kadie D

Hi everyone first time post here so please be gentle!
So there I was sorting out my spare room where I keep all my opened toys, all the rest are safely in my parents loft, much to their chagrin, I was searching for my spare Death Squad Commanders and amonst the figures I found a rather old and tatty TIE Figher Pilot in the box and to this day he still smelt of blackcurrants, I think more the Ribena type than actual real blackcurrents. This is the figure I distinctly remember had a really strong smell of blackcurrant when I first got them in 1982!
Strange after all these years there is still a whiff!!! :lol:
Just a trivial observation to start my postings!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to the forum. The smell of Darth Vader always takes me straight back to being 5 years old, especially as I still have my childhood one :)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Was talking to my wife about this only yesterday! Wasn't it something to do with the TFP being made from some of the same plastic as some toy from the Strawberry Shortcake line?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Kadie D said:
So there I was sorting out my spare room where I keep all my opened toys, all the rest are safely in my parents loft, much to their chagrin, I was searching for my spare Death Squad Commanders and amonst the figures I found a rather old and tatty TIE Figher Pilot in the box and to this day he still smelt of blackcurrants, I think more the Ribena type than actual real blackcurrents. This is the figure I distinctly remember had a really strong smell of blackcurrant when I first got them in 1982!

There's a good reason why this is.

A batch from the Palitoy factory were made with the same batch at some Strawberry Shortcake (I think) figures that had that smell, and this is the reason why some Tie Pilots smell like blackcurrent! Strange but true :)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Stormtroopers are most memorable for me. I swear I have a couple with traces of the whiff.

Kadie D

SublevelStudios said:
Kadie D said:

A batch from the Palitoy factory were made with the same batch at some Strawberry Shortcake (I think) figures that had that smell, and this is the reason why some Tie Pilots smell like blackcurrent! Strange but true :)

Thanks for this I always wondered why! Now I know! :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
A couple of years ago, my boss found an ice cream tub of first 12 when clearing out his parents' attic. He loved SW, but was 13 when the film came out, so he bought the figures, but didn't really play with them. They had been in the box pretty much since they were opened and smelt as new! The VCJ was especially aromatic 8)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Kadie D said:
SublevelStudios said:
Kadie D said:

Hey, I said it first! :lol:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
So you did! I completely missed your post mate! Sorry!

It was mentioned at the Palitoy talk last year too, I think one of the chaps said the figures were stored alongside the Strawberry Shortcake figures enroute from HK and when the container was opened they realised the Tie Pilots had the same smell :D

I'm not 100% which version is true but either way Starwberry Shortcake was to blame.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Can't beat the vintage smell, not sure what to make of blackcurrents though. :? Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
SublevelStudios said:
So you did! I completely missed your post mate! Sorry!

It was mentioned at the Palitoy talk last year too, I think one of the chaps said the figures were stored alongside the Strawberry Shortcake figures enroute from HK and when the container was opened they realised the Tie Pilots had the same smell :D

I'm not 100% which version is true but either way Starwberry Shortcake was to blame.

No worries Mark :lol:

I remember it being the talk of the playground when the TFP was released- one was being handed around and everyone was having a sniff. The smell was pretty strong when they were new 8)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
The VCJ was especially aromatic 8)
:shock:

:lol:

Took a girls' team (year 5 & 6) to a kwik Cricket tournament on Monday and they were all given a brand new bat & ball each in a vinyl case. They smelt EXACTLY like vintage SW when we were opening them- the girls just rolled their eyes at each other, clearly thinking "What a NERD!" as I was there going "This is exactly how vintage Star Wars figures used to smell when you opened them!" :lol:

Kadie D

Cazza said:
Kadie D said:
SublevelStudios said:

Hey, I said it first! :lol:

Oops (feeling enbarrassed) must have missed that! Well thank you all anyway :p
I'll make sure my pages don`t skip from now on!!!!

lee gray

Sith Lord
Always remember the Tie Fighter pilot smelling of some type of berries and the Smell of the vinyl capes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom