Palitoy 12 back and 20 back set question

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Hi, I am half way through a Palitoy 12 back set, and 3 to go on a 20 back set.
This question has likely been asked before ,( but I cannot find anything in search-) has anyone got a real rough idea of how many completed sets there are out there. As it would be interesting to know if it`s tens, hundreds or thousands. :lol:
Paul

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Cazza said:
Tens, I should imagine.

I tend to think the same Cazza, but I'm probably thinking a lower number than what is actually out there. Fingers crossed I get to finish mine...eventually :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I wonder how many 85 sets there are out there?
Not very many, but of course not everyone likes grading or has their figures graded, so there could easily be some examples out there which would grade at 85 or higher, but which remain as free of perspex as the day they were made.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Not very many, but of course not everyone likes grading or has their figures graded, so there could easily be some examples out there which would grade at 85 or higher, but which remain as free of perspex as the day they were made.

Instead they are kept in Plastic Star Cases which makes all the difference lol.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Out of interest, how many of your set is on a certain card back ?
And out of preference didyou go for an A over a B or C ? Or was it more the condition of what was available?
As originally I had hoped to get as many A cards as I could, and B where I had to. But my jawa from years ago turned out to be a C .So that's that ! :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Snaketibe said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

I don't like grading myself, but neither was I having a dig at it (on this occasion ;-)). I was merely pointing out that the global stock of mint 12 and 20 backs, whilst doubtless small in terms of absolute numbers, is also almost certainly a fair bit higher than most people probably estimate due to black hole collections. The AFA and UKG population numbers by definition cannot include figures which have never been graded, no matter how perfect those examples might be. Of course as black hole collectors eventually sell up (for whatever reason), those items which have been kept off the market for years then resurface, allowing others to buy them, and doubtless some of those will be sent away for grading. Assuming the current owners of graded figures generally look after them and that those figures suffer no accidental damage (although yellowing blisters, failing glue and especially vibration / shaking due to transit will sadly doubtless claim some previously perfect graded examples), I think you can actually expect the global supply of 85+ graded 12 and 20 backs to continue to nudge upwards for a few years yet.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
welshwookie said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
And out of preference didyou go for an A over a B or C ? Or was it more the condition of what was available?
As originally I had hoped to get as many A cards as I could, and B where I had to. But my jawa from years ago turned out to be a C .So that's that ! :lol:

When I bought my set back in 2017 only A and B were known as the C back variation has only recently been identified by Davinder I believe. I wanted a 85 grade set as it is not possible to put either an A or B set together, I am not sure about C. I collect runs as in 12 backs, 20 backs, 30 Backs and until recently 41 and 45A backs. I can see why you would prefer A backs but I don't think you can get a Jawa or a DSC on a A Back and I don't think you can get a Han on a B card but Jason the cardback guy would now better than me. I have no idea what my card backs are as they are permanently in a display and it is difficult to take them out, so long as the label says 85 or higher I am happy.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Snaketibe said:

I don't like grading myself, but neither was I having a dig at it (on this occasion ;-)). I was merely pointing out that the global stock of mint 12 and 20 backs, whilst doubtless small in terms of absolute numbers, is also almost certainly a fair bit higher than most people probably estimate due to black hole collections. The AFA and UKG population numbers by definition cannot include figures which have never been graded, no matter how perfect those examples might be. Of course as black hole collectors eventually sell up (for whatever reason), those items which have been kept off the market for years then resurface, allowing others to buy them, and doubtless some of those will be sent away for grading. Assuming the current owners of graded figures generally look after them and that those figures suffer no accidental damage (although yellowing blisters, failing glue and especially vibration / shaking due to transit will sadly doubtless claim some previously perfect graded examples), I think you can actually expect the global supply of 85+ graded 12 and 20 backs to continue to nudge upwards for a few years yet.

I am into grading but then I am new back into the hobby, I can see why older collectors Dont like it as they did not need it previously and do not need it now.
I am not sure whether we will see 85+ grades increasing as graders like AFA are moving the goal posts with their grades as previously the 80+ grade did not exist which means it is now harder to achieve a 85 grade than previously if UKG and CAS follow suit then this may cause a reduction in higher grade items. I don't use the mail for MOC's anymore I would rather pick them up to avoid damage, too many horror stories! Yellow bubbles are unavoidable and unfortunately lead to the demise of collecting in that specified card type as can be seen with POTF, I have never seen so many Anakin's on the market!

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
welshwookie said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

When I bought my set back in 2017 only A and B were known as the C back variation has only recently been identified by Davinder I believe. I wanted a 85 grade set as it is not possible to put either an A or B set together, I am not sure about C. I collect runs as in 12 backs, 20 backs, 30 Backs and until recently 41 and 45A backs. I can see why you would prefer A backs but I don't think you can get a Jawa or a DSC on a A Back and I don't think you can get a Han on a B card but Jason the cardback guy would now better than me. I have no idea what my card backs are as they are permanently in a display and it is difficult to take them out, so long as the label says 85 or higher I am happy.
Yes I think Ian or Jason pointed out which cards are available on different backs in a thread before for me.
I know that you have posted pictures of your sets, which are fantastic, but would you stay at 12, or if you could get the variants would you be tempted to add to it. Like a small and big head Han , and vcj.? :eek:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
welshwookie said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
welshwookie said:

Yes I think Ian or Jason pointed out which cards are available on different backs in a thread before for me.
I know that you have posted pictures of your sets, which are fantastic, but would you stay at 12, or if you could get the variants would you be tempted to add to it. Like a small and big head Han , and vcj.? :eek:

Now that I have stopped collecting 41 & 45A I will focus my future collecting on 12 back Variations VCJ and Large Head Han, 30 Back Fett and non Debut 30 Backs all of which I will pay serious money for. Unfortunately some of the collectors that own what I need are impossible to deal with!

sith-smith

Grand Master
welshwookie said:
Hi, I am half way through a Palitoy 12 back set, and 3 to go on a 20 back set.
This question has likely been asked before ,( but I cannot find anything in search-) has anyone got a real rough idea of how many completed sets there are out there. As it would be interesting to know if it`s tens, hundreds or thousands. :lol:
Paul

In answer to your question I'd imagine it was in the tens. Just not sure how high in the tens it goes.

When I put my set together in 2002 it was accepted that there was less than 15 confirmed. Since then many more of the rarer ones have turned up that were previously unknown.

The issue is that there are so many incomplete sets which collectively have enough of each figure to put a few more sets together.

So there's enough out there for many more complete sets than actually exist.

And who knows how many are out there that have nothing been publicised.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
That's definitely lower than I was thinking. Even if you double it for luck.
Hopefully I will eventually complete mine - as I was warned by the wife not to start it if I didn't want to pay the prices for the harder cards.
Wish u best of luck wreck -it -ralph on your intentions.
Be one hell of an achievement. Although you have that already with what you have now.
Paul

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
welshwookie said:
That's definitely lower than I was thinking. Even if you double it for luck.
Hopefully I will eventually complete mine - as I was warned by the wife not to start it if I didn't want to pay the prices for the harder cards.
Wish u best of luck wreck -it -ralph on your intentions.
Be one hell of an achievement. Although you have that already with what you have now.
Paul

Thanks Paul hopefully I will get the opportunity to get the stuff I need in the future but I think it will be a slow burn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom