Loose collecting

gammoguard

Padawan
Wondering what people's level of 'satisfaction' is when collecting loose figures. I've got most of a loose run (except Blue Snaggletooth & Pop-up R2) but flip side is I have extras and variances in my collection. So:
- are you happy to have just one of each, regardless of COO
....or....
- would you display one of each COO?

The reason I ask is I want to display my loose run but don't know whether to go down the 'one of each' figure or 'differences' route (eg display Yoda with orange snake & Yoda with brown snake).

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I recommend displaying those figures you like and have the room for. Why place needless restrictions on your display? If you like it, own it and have the room for it, why not display it? Who cares if you only have 1 of most figures but 2 or even 3 variants of another? It's your collection, so display it your way :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Exctly that

Display how you want to, what makes you smile. Don't get bogged down with what is the "right way" the right way is your way.

There are so many variants of figures, personally for me it's the character, not the COO or paint ap differences

Enjoy your collection for what it is...your collection :D

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Exctly that

Display how you want to, what makes you smile. Don't get bogged down with what is the "right way" the right way is your way.

There are so many variants of figures, personally for me it's the character, not the COO or paint ap differences

Enjoy your collection for what it is...your collection :D

This post says it all :D

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
I recommend displaying those figures you like and have the room for. Why place needless restrictions on your display? If you like it, own it and have the room for it, why not display it? Who cares if you only have 1 of most figures but 2 or even 3 variants of another? It's your collection, so display it your way :)

Ditto 8)

lejackal

Grand Master
I have less than ten loose figures.

I own less that five where I drool

The rest I can take it or leave it

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

Ditto

Robstyley

Sith Lord
As others have said it's entirely up to you, it depends what's important to you and what you want to see. I'm very satisfied with my loose set. I display mine in a two figures deep, six shelf cabinet that would hold 132 figures if full. I have doubles if they're major variants and still have some I'm after. It's personal, for instance I don't give two shits about COO's, they mean nothing to me. But I do want to see orange and brown snake Yoda, smile and no smile Lando, big and small head Han etc. Just get a cabinet and fill it, you'll soon figure out what you want 8)

gammoguard

Padawan
Thanks all.
I think the problem I have is I have more figures and vehicles than I do space and feel that what can't make it on display is 'a waste' (ie - I don't feel like I'm giving them the recognition that they deserve by keeping them boxed away if you see what I mean).

I recently sold some duplicates on these boards because of that exact reason (and will more than likely add a few more as I held a few back just in case I wanted to expand a display).' Its quite clear that my man cave will probably never happen :( so I'm going to have to be selective on what I can display which is probably my main reason for asking this question. In years to come I don't want to regret having sold 'a' Yoda purely down to whether I wanted more space.

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Like everyone says just do what seems right for you. I group my loose by geography so I try to have it make sense in that context. So in the jabbas palace section I can have as many Gam guards as I like. Stormtroopers can appear anywhere so the is scope for lots of variants. The main characters pop up on tatooine bespin, hoth death star etc but it unsettles my display to have 2 Yoda's for example or 2 bibs or 2 emperor's. I still have 2 landos though. No idea why, perhaps just because the rules are made to be broken.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
You can always store items then periodically refresh your display and switch it around if your stuck for space.

Rule of thumb, if you think you'll regret selling, don't sell

Collecting is different for every individual, but eventually you find you keep coming back to wanting the same items, be that a certain loose run, run of Mocs, baggies or a combination of the aforementioned. Advice and opinions are just that, opinions based on others collecting traits and preferences.
It's a difficult situation when your stuck for space to display.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I have a loose run of all 96 on display which I like as it represents what most people would have realistically collected as kids if we'd been lucky enough to follow Kenner's "collect all...." slogans.
It also makes a nice conversation piece for non collectors when they visit.

I have around 50 or 60 variations which are currently not displayed but I would very much like to have these as a companion piece to the standard 96 and I'd put blue snag, VCJ etc in this lot.

I also have a few cheeky spots around the house for the odd stormy or rancor keeper but these are more for a bit of fun than any serious display.

jared007

Padawan
I started to go down the route of "variant" collecting, but when on display I really couldn't see the point of having multiple figures where the C.O.O is different. I can't *see* that difference on display, so I decided to put the brakes on it.

As others have said, if it's a visual difference like snake colour of Yoda, head size of Han, dent or no-dent of snaggle boot then that's more interesting to me.

UKS

Jedi Knight
When I did mine in the nineties, I just wanted "one of each". I wasn't aware of major variants like Blue Snaggletooth. I went small head Han.

Even to this day, variants mean nothing much to me. I got Blue Snag in the end. The COO stuff I find a little bizarre. Sorry!

.... Though, there is always an exception to the rule! I do fancy one of those Luke Jedi with a molded face rather than painted. it's something that annoyed me slightly as a child, and I could easily see myself heading in that direction. Just the one, you understand.

Just the one..... *twitch*

UKS

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm the same, I don't really bother with the COO thing, I just like visual differences.

47328856351_1c3a2578a2_b.jpg

I have recently sold my molded legs Han Hoth but not too bothered about having that in my collection.

I'm building a cabinet for a standard 100 figure run (96 + Blue Snaggletooth and Rebo Band).

I've bought some spare first 12 to display separately with my VCJ, DT Luke, small head Han and dark blue R2.

32331285928_d137ee8127_b.jpg

The other foreign variants I'm going to get the PBP / Ledy / Takara display stands.

Any other variants I'm going to have just loitering around the ships and playsets. :D

coomber75

Sith Lord
yep as said each to tyeir own, my display has changed loads, i still keep a full run of loose but if all types and coos that never bugged me, then i went to scenes / groups now im at... if i like it put it up on display, if not fussed store away :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom