SWTOTW, Week 28, 2019, Part 1/2 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (With Pop Up Lightsaber)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (With Pop Up Lightsaber):

r2d2.jpeg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Nice condition R2, Dr Ball MD!

Here are mine, a TL and a loose one.
Never understood the card art on this one, it has nothing to do with R2 launching a Sabre to Luke as this scene is on Endor...oh well!

Attachments

• 1BC936E0-8DC7-4918-80CC-1A306275A331.jpeg
    1BC936E0-8DC7-4918-80CC-1A306275A331.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 959
  • F51261C3-85EB-478C-BE00-4B7C0B4D878B.jpeg
    F51261C3-85EB-478C-BE00-4B7C0B4D878B.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 968

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:

Never understood the card art on this one, it has nothing to do with R2 launching a Sabre to Luke as this scene is on Endor...oh well!

Another great R2-D2 with sabre and the awesome tri-logo moc, thanks for sharing them :D

I also do not understand the picture of the tri-logo, it has nothing to do with luke launching the sabre, yes scene is from outside the bunker where r2 got shot :roll: A battle damaged r2 would have been better if it should match the picture :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:

A terrific MOC and loose, Nick! Thanks for sharing, and I couldn't agree more about the card art. Since they used a picture of him battle-damaged, it makes me realise that I would have preferred it if Kenner had made that figure instead of the pop-up saber one, nice though that is.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I've come to like it a lot more these days, but when I first learned about the pop-up R2-D2 figure back in the early 90's (having drifted away from collecting and keeping up with the last releases as I hit my teens in '85), it slightly disappointed me. A third R2 based off the original (charming to be sure, but hardly accurate) sculpt, this time with a permanent hole in his head and a movie-inaccurate lighted half-length saber growing out of it? I genuinely do wish Kenner had chosen to make a battle-damaged R2 instead, but wishing is pointless and this is what they gave us!

I repeat, I do like it these days (although hate the stupid money they're now fetching!), but I'll always wish it was something else. Anyway, here's mine; a loose and a POTF carded:

Pricey Green Stick - 01.jpg

Pricey Green Stick - 02.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great MOC with a good bubble, surprised to see that you have a graded example, what is it a 85?
Those bubbles on the POTF are so vulnerable.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Great MOC with a good bubble, surprised to see that you have a graded example, what is it a 85?
Those bubbles on the POTF are so vulnerable.
Thank you :)

Surprised? You have seen it before :-D. But yes it's a straight 85. I had been after a mint POTF carded one for ages and when this one came up for sale at a price I was happy with, I pulled the trigger. I certainly didn't buy it because it was graded (you know my feelings about paying someone else to tell me what my own eyes can tell me for free), but rather because the condition and price were acceptable. Figures do of course look good in graded cases, just as they do in other acrylic ones, but I do regret not being able to remove it easily from its case when I want to, especially since, as you quite rightly point out, the bubbles are so fragile and the stupid sealed AFA ones make it impossible to protect the bubble during transit :-(

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yes I know I have, just playing along... :lol:
But I don't remember it being graded, it's a stunning example, I've only ever had one POTF R2 and that fell out the bottom! :(
Graded doesn't worry me if the price is right, as I never take them out of the case once they are inside their MOC case anyway.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
I've come to like it a lot more these days, but when I first learned about the pop-up R2-D2 figure back in the early 90's (having drifted away from collecting and keeping up with the last releases as I hit my teens in '85), it slightly disappointed me. A third R2 based off the original (charming to be sure, but hardly accurate) sculpt, this time with a permanent hole in his head and a movie-inaccurate lighted half-length saber growing out of it? I genuinely do wish Kenner had chosen to make a battle-damaged R2 instead, but wishing is pointless and this is what they gave us!

I repeat, I do like it these days (although hate the stupid money they're now fetching!), but I'll always wish it was something else. Anyway, here's mine; a loose and a POTF carded:

Wow cool figure and a beautiful moc that you have, great collection :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Wow cool figure and a beautiful moc that you have, great collection :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom