This is getting ridiculous destruction.of.vintage.

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is getting ridiculous destruction.of.vintage.

Post by _Lee_ » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:11 am

So I stumbled on the below photo on Ebay this morning. Fucking R2D2 legs for sale. How many vintage figures have been ripped.part for that. This is getting fucking pathetic now.and this combined with destruction of vintage vehicles for spare parts is seriously damaging this hobby. I've seen Falcon screws, R2 body screws and half decent vehicles that have been taken apart. This is as bad for.this hobby as repro are IMO. We are giving new collectors fuck all, because so many things are being destroyed. I don't buy into the idea that people complete their incomplete pieces so it must be a good.thing idea, this is pure greed and ignorance towards this hobby.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Ruby2511
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: This is getting ridiculous destruction.of.vintage.

Post by Ruby2511 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Totally agree Lee. I have seen quite a few Falcons that have been stripped for cash. It is very sad that pure greed is the factor in most of the cases.

Even selling the screws is extreme.

I am quite new to collecting myself and am finding it difficult to get some decent vehicles due to them being parted out. An AT AT and snowspeeder being examples.
Hi i'm Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Sundancer Squadron
Regular
Regular

Post by Sundancer Squadron » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Agree completely, Unfortunately I'm starting to get completely priced out of collecting vintage and now only limiting myself to purchasing from forum members and finding the odd loose figure at bootsales.

Sad really, started to really enjoy collecting again but starting to wonder if Ill switch back to modern....
Wanted
Legacy collection AT-TE Millennium Falcon

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Are they definitely vintage? I heard that there are reproduction R2 limbs out there, believe it or not.

Ruby2511
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Ruby2511 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Sundancer Squadron wrote:Agree completely, Unfortunately I'm starting to get completely priced out of collecting vintage and now only limiting myself to purchasing from forum members and finding the odd loose figure at bootsales.

Sad really, started to really enjoy collecting again but starting to wonder if Ill switch back to modern....
I'm considering collecting potf2 moc's as opposed to loose vintage for the same reasons.
Hi i'm Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

stu70
Regular
Regular

Post by stu70 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:40 pm

That seller also has R2 bodies with repro stickers and the clicking mechanisms for sale, as well as periscopes, so it definitely looks like he's stripping R2's down, his line in one of his listings is "Restore your vintage star wars figures they deserve it!!." So you restore your vintage figure by destroying another one, yeah that makes great sense :?

Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

stu70 wrote:" So you restore your vintage figure by destroying another one, yeah that makes great sense :?
Unfortunately it does make financial sense...that’s what the world has come to, not only this hobby! :(

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Such a shame :evil: