SWFUK

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Snaketibe wrote:It may have been a pretty easy retool / reissue for Kenner to change this figure to make its limbs removable back in the 80's, but it's hard to deny that it didn't add a ton of play value to the toy! A brilliant yet simple idea, and presumably quite cheap for Kenner to do as well, but it resulted in a really neat figure which could recreate his unfortunate encounter with Dark Helmet's troops back on Bespin ;-)

I do like this figure, but my one big complaint about it is that it was never really gold enough. There may have been some fading in colour over the intervening decades, but I still remember my removable limbs C-3PO back in the 80's looking significantly less gold than my fixed limbs one. That gripe aside, this is a great little figure that even comes with a bag to shove him in when Chewie wants to go backpacking :lol:

I can't say I've ever found a huge amount of visually different variants with this figure. The gold paint does seem to come in a few different shades (again, this may be down to fading), ranging from goldish to practically silver, but the only 'noticeable' sculpting difference (and let's face it, it's not that noticeable!) is that some variants have small circles below their knees (see below).

As for mine, I have three different variants, two with circles, one without. They are all different shades of gold, but photographing them is a nightmare with my camera! Using a flash makes them appear mostly black, and using no flash requires a lot of colour correction in Photoshop to get them looking anywhere near how they actually do. In short, the colour difference (and surface details, for that matter), I have found quite tricky to capture in pictures. I've done my best though and also included both flash and no flash versions.

Tough to Photo - 01.jpg

Tough to Photo - 02.jpg

Tough to Photo - 03.jpg

Tough to Photo - 04.jpg

Tough to Photo - 05.jpg

Tough to Photo - 06.jpg

Tough to Photo - 07.jpg

Tough to Photo - 08.jpg

Tough to Photo - 09.jpg

Tough to Photo - 10.jpg


Now I got some time to read your fantastic post as always :D I agree a brilliant idea that c-3po could remove his arms and legs :D In denmark this C-3PO is the common one, the first one from 1977 is extremly rare in denmark. I would say out of 100 childhood lots you will maybe only find one C-3PO fra 1977 the rest will be this variant with removeable legs and arms. I never saw the first one for sale in the stores in denmark when I was a kid in the good old days. But then again it was first in 1983 I was old enough to play and get star wars toy :lol:

About variants, I know the head can have a totally different coulor than the rest of the body :shock: also the big circles on the belly can be different. There is also varinats of the net, but then again there is also repro fake net.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Mini99 wrote:Sorry about the late entry, I’ve not been about for the last week so much.
Here are my two, a POTF MOC and my one and only baggie.
4D13542C-33CE-4BED-A063-1752B82FBFCD.jpeg
BC5C9367-7B12-4F23-8329-D1792789E955.png


Wow cool moc and a nice baggie, thanks for sharing them :D

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

spoons wrote:Amazing how few 3POs are owned by us :shock:

I can add another baggie, and will own a carded one some day

C3P0 HK baggie.jpg


Thanks andy for sharing your baggie with us, it looks mint 8)

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two loose examples, both no coo. The one on the left is the common Raised Bar No Coo. This example came was bought with its original baggie for both figure and cargo net. The other example is the much rarer Smooth European CoO (so called Lili Ledy European counterpart). Apart from the CoO helping to identify this variant you can also determine it from the copper colour on the end of the limbs where it snaps into the figure. This particular example is unusually gold as most documented examples are much more silver in appearance.

In addition I also have a baggie and a Palitoy ROTJ 45 back.


Thanks mate for sharing your collection :D and thanks for the info, it was great reading :D Your collection looks fantastic :wink:

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two loose examples, both no coo. The one on the left is the common Raised Bar No Coo. This example came was bought with its original baggie for both figure and cargo net. The other example is the much rarer Smooth European CoO (so called Lili Ledy European counterpart). Apart from the CoO helping to identify this variant you can also determine it from the copper colour on the end of the limbs where it snaps into the figure. This particular example is unusually gold as most documented examples are much more silver in appearance.

In addition I also have a baggie and a Palitoy ROTJ 45 back.


Thanks mate for sharing your collection :D and thanks for the info, it was great reading :D Your collection looks fantastic :wink:

Thanks Lars. Just wish I had the room to display it

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two loose examples, both no coo. The one on the left is the common Raised Bar No Coo. This example came was bought with its original baggie for both figure and cargo net. The other example is the much rarer Smooth European CoO (so called Lili Ledy European counterpart). Apart from the CoO helping to identify this variant you can also determine it from the copper colour on the end of the limbs where it snaps into the figure. This particular example is unusually gold as most documented examples are much more silver in appearance.

In addition I also have a baggie and a Palitoy ROTJ 45 back.


Thanks mate for sharing your collection :D and thanks for the info, it was great reading :D Your collection looks fantastic :wink:

Thanks Lars. Just wish I had the room to display it


I have the same problem, most of my items I have to look for before I can take pictures of them, because I also do not have room to display it :(

User avatar
Snaketibe
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:It may have been a pretty easy retool / reissue for Kenner to change this figure to make its limbs removable back in the 80's, but it's hard to deny that it didn't add a ton of play value to the toy! A brilliant yet simple idea, and presumably quite cheap for Kenner to do as well, but it resulted in a really neat figure which could recreate his unfortunate encounter with Dark Helmet's troops back on Bespin ;-)

I do like this figure, but my one big complaint about it is that it was never really gold enough. There may have been some fading in colour over the intervening decades, but I still remember my removable limbs C-3PO back in the 80's looking significantly less gold than my fixed limbs one. That gripe aside, this is a great little figure that even comes with a bag to shove him in when Chewie wants to go backpacking :lol:

I can't say I've ever found a huge amount of visually different variants with this figure. The gold paint does seem to come in a few different shades (again, this may be down to fading), ranging from goldish to practically silver, but the only 'noticeable' sculpting difference (and let's face it, it's not that noticeable!) is that some variants have small circles below their knees (see below).

As for mine, I have three different variants, two with circles, one without. They are all different shades of gold, but photographing them is a nightmare with my camera! Using a flash makes them appear mostly black, and using no flash requires a lot of colour correction in Photoshop to get them looking anywhere near how they actually do. In short, the colour difference (and surface details, for that matter), I have found quite tricky to capture in pictures. I've done my best though and also included both flash and no flash versions.


Now I got some time to read your fantastic post as always :D I agree a brilliant idea that c-3po could remove his arms and legs :D In denmark this C-3PO is the common one, the first one from 1977 is extremly rare in denmark. I would say out of 100 childhood lots you will maybe only find one C-3PO fra 1977 the rest will be this variant with removeable legs and arms. I never saw the first one for sale in the stores in denmark when I was a kid in the good old days. But then again it was first in 1983 I was old enough to play and get star wars toy :lol:

About variants, I know the head can have a totally different coulor than the rest of the body :shock: also the big circles on the belly can be different. There is also varinats of the net, but then again there is also repro fake net.

Thanks for your kind words, and thanks too for the variant information. I shall have to take another look at my spare C-3PO's to see if I have more variants than I thought!

User avatar
Snaketibe
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two loose examples, both no coo. The one on the left is the common Raised Bar No Coo. This example came was bought with its original baggie for both figure and cargo net. The other example is the much rarer Smooth European CoO (so called Lili Ledy European counterpart). Apart from the CoO helping to identify this variant you can also determine it from the copper colour on the end of the limbs where it snaps into the figure. This particular example is unusually gold as most documented examples are much more silver in appearance.

In addition I also have a baggie and a Palitoy ROTJ 45 back.

Excellent figures and variant info, Jay! I'm starting to feel left out that I don't have a baggie version too since there are so many great condition ones being shared! :lol:

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 36, 2019, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:04 am

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:It may have been a pretty easy retool / reissue for Kenner to change this figure to make its limbs removable back in the 80's, but it's hard to deny that it didn't add a ton of play value to the toy! A brilliant yet simple idea, and presumably quite cheap for Kenner to do as well, but it resulted in a really neat figure which could recreate his unfortunate encounter with Dark Helmet's troops back on Bespin ;-)

I do like this figure, but my one big complaint about it is that it was never really gold enough. There may have been some fading in colour over the intervening decades, but I still remember my removable limbs C-3PO back in the 80's looking significantly less gold than my fixed limbs one. That gripe aside, this is a great little figure that even comes with a bag to shove him in when Chewie wants to go backpacking :lol:

I can't say I've ever found a huge amount of visually different variants with this figure. The gold paint does seem to come in a few different shades (again, this may be down to fading), ranging from goldish to practically silver, but the only 'noticeable' sculpting difference (and let's face it, it's not that noticeable!) is that some variants have small circles below their knees (see below).

As for mine, I have three different variants, two with circles, one without. They are all different shades of gold, but photographing them is a nightmare with my camera! Using a flash makes them appear mostly black, and using no flash requires a lot of colour correction in Photoshop to get them looking anywhere near how they actually do. In short, the colour difference (and surface details, for that matter), I have found quite tricky to capture in pictures. I've done my best though and also included both flash and no flash versions.


Now I got some time to read your fantastic post as always :D I agree a brilliant idea that c-3po could remove his arms and legs :D In denmark this C-3PO is the common one, the first one from 1977 is extremly rare in denmark. I would say out of 100 childhood lots you will maybe only find one C-3PO fra 1977 the rest will be this variant with removeable legs and arms. I never saw the first one for sale in the stores in denmark when I was a kid in the good old days. But then again it was first in 1983 I was old enough to play and get star wars toy :lol:

About variants, I know the head can have a totally different coulor than the rest of the body :shock: also the big circles on the belly can be different. There is also varinats of the net, but then again there is also repro fake net.

Thanks for your kind words, and thanks too for the variant information. I shall have to take another look at my spare C-3PO's to see if I have more variants than I thought!


I hope you find some more, let me know if you find anything :D


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron