Does this look genuine? 15” boxed Vader

fett1972

Padawan
Hi

Just purchased this 15" Kenner Darth Vader and although it looks the real deal I am concerned that the box has never been taped.

Just got back into the hobby after 3 years following the death of my father and I know they are fake boxes out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Attachments

• 4C3FD792-E145-4CC2-B8B4-2CE652F44336.jpeg
    4C3FD792-E145-4CC2-B8B4-2CE652F44336.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 35A52A18-F169-412F-ACB6-91EE7ED9A4A9.jpeg
    35A52A18-F169-412F-ACB6-91EE7ED9A4A9.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,235
  • A5B00BDA-E0AF-4004-AB30-FBA4A600782B.jpeg
    A5B00BDA-E0AF-4004-AB30-FBA4A600782B.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 0C034B8B-39F1-4742-984A-9DE60F2651C0.jpeg
    0C034B8B-39F1-4742-984A-9DE60F2651C0.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,234

Robstyley

Sith Lord
It does look very pristine and I can't understand why there wouldn't be tape or tape residue present. How much was it? That's case fresh and I would expect it to go for several hundred. You don't see many in that condition. I'm not an expert on these though, others will know.

fett1972

Padawan
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Like you I would expected some tape marks but to my partially trained eye it does look genuine in hand. However, with no tape marks, and how good the box is it does give me some doubt.

Any other experts who can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
With no tape/ tape marks, looks dubious, but you never know

Looks like a bit of research is needed to look at it's validity

Very nice if Kosher

Good lukk

fett1972

Padawan
The lack of tape was my main concern and the item doesn't smell at all. The Toys R us Price sticker looks old and shows the price as $7.97.

On the surface it looks genuine but I need expert help from you guys

Thanks for all the replies today

stu70

Padawan
It does appear in almost as new condition, I have owned a couple of 12" figures with original boxes, a Leia and Han, both had tape on the top and the bottom. The Leia was all original but the Han came with a reproduction insert from the Replicator boxes seller, he's on ebay and has his own site, and it was marked towards the bottom of the insert, this link shows where it was, if you enlarge the picture you can see it clearly.

He's not popular on here I know, but I'm just posting the link to try and help out, you can also see what his repro Vader boxes look like compared to yours, the pictures on his 12" boxes tend to be more fuzzy, darker and just not as clear and sharp as on the original boxes. Pretty poor really.

https://www.replicator-boxes-and-inserts.com/product/replacement-vintage-star-wars-12-han-solo-box-inserts-insert/

I'm not sure if all the inserts have this on them as I've only seen a Han one close up.

I know this does not help with the box itself but if it is original in that good a condition the insert should be genuine as well.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

jayums

Jedi Master
The print quality should be apparent in hand. I wouldn't say the repro versions of these are poor exactly, but they obviously don't have the clarity and crispness of the real thing in hand.

The repro copies made of this have 'reproduced by replicator boxes' printed on both the top and bottom flaps in large text.

In my experience the repro boxes also have a very distinct (freshly printed!) smell that is totally different to authentic boxes !! Go on, give it a good sniff :lol:

Yes there's a lack of tape but on the other hand the sticker and damage on the top add more credence. if you were going to go to the trouble of faking that you would probably go to the trouble of faking at least some tape damage?!

The price you paid is also a really good indicator I would imagine! I can't say I've seen one that looks that good before so it wouldn't (shouldn't?!) have been cheap.

Anyhoo it looks in great condition, so I hope it is the real deal - if so it is a lovely example. Let us know either way !

jayums

Jedi Master
Had a quick look - it isn't a Replicator box - check out the blue fill around the K on the rep. No gap between the K and E. also the big blue (r) isn't on the vintage.

Attachments

• 7FE099BA-4D3B-462C-9DB5-1D8FC6ECD175.png
    7FE099BA-4D3B-462C-9DB5-1D8FC6ECD175.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,088

jayums

Jedi Master
Again, no (or poorly printed) 'TM' to the left of the Leia/Luke logo...

In other words, your box looks too good to be a repro. Dunno anyone out there making them better than replicator boxes.

Attachments

• 10C3FEEB-B5A7-4CFD-AE3C-2E77C1E7A555.png
    10C3FEEB-B5A7-4CFD-AE3C-2E77C1E7A555.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,085

maxf

Jedi Master
The vader inside looks mint, which is a good sign. It isnt above the fakers to put a real price sticker on a fake box - without better pics its hard to tell for sure.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Looks good to me! That score along the gatefold has a double line which is a good indicator. Can we see the insert? Another good indicator.

LSAF boxes in this shape are really HTF and this looks like a great example. As others have said, the smell cannot be replicated so that should give it away.

fett1972

Padawan
Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and provide your thoughts.

I was initially 98% certain the item was genuine but after being out of the hobby for several years I was concerned that forgeries had advanced to the stage where it was difficult to spot.

I am now 100% the item is genuine as the inserts have the old musty paper smell and the front gatefold has the divide.

The aspect of concern was the box had never been taped yet had a price sticker. This aspect is something I am interested to learn more about.

The thing with this hobby is you never stop learning.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
fett1972 said:
Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and provide your thoughts.

I was initially 98% certain the item was genuine but after being out of the hobby for several years I was concerned that forgeries had advanced to the stage where it was difficult to spot.

I am now 100% the item is genuine as the inserts have the old musty paper smell and the front gatefold has the divide.

The aspect of concern was the box had never been taped yet had a price sticker. This aspect is something I am interested to learn more about.

The thing with this hobby is you never stop learning.
Congratulations in putting your mind at rest and for the addition of a stunning piece to your collection.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Soz am a bit late reading this. Am glad ur piece is proving to b legit.
Regarding packaging I have an Empire Canadian MIB Patrol Dewback and on one side of the box I cannot see any evidence of there ever being factory tape applied :!:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom