Fake Irish 3 Pack Video

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Interesting video from Michael Havens and Tom Derby about a fake Irish 3 pack and repros in general. Also mentions the fake baggie scandal, plus includs some cool legit pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mXFWog7VSI

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Malcolmris said:
Were many people tricked by those fake Irish 3 packs?

I don't know much about them but according to Tom on this video they are not sealed, so basically all of them are impossible to verify.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I hope to God they're right and that it has been buggered with already. Even so, I couldn't help but wince a little when he sliced the bubble.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It does seem like a slightly strange decision considering the bubble is not sealed, he could have just taken the Fett out. But then somebody could just put a Yak Face or something in so I have a bit of admiration for the sentiment behind it.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
It was an interesting watch. Unfortunately, I can't help but conclude that Michael Havens did this to garner attention. Whatever the reasons, the wilful destruction of such an item can not be condoned when it is not fake and has been merely tampered with. Better to swap the Fett for the correct 3 pack figure and clearly note it in the piece's back history. After all there aren't many of these items out there and someone should have the chance to enjoy it.

I am hopeful that the real message here is that when purchasing rare or expensive items always do your research and look for provenance before buying.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps this is where a grading company could add value, sealing items that have been tampered with so they can be sold on with a clear conscience? Although I guess you could always just smash it out the case. Maybe watermark the card?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
My understanding is that these 3 packs are easily tampered with and in fact many on the markets have been tampered with. The question is do you watermark them all and effectively damage them, or just look for provenance and trust your source?

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
It was an interesting watch. Unfortunately, I can't help but conclude that Michael Havens did this to garner attention. Whatever the reasons, the wilful destruction of such an item can not be condoned when it is not fake and has been merely tampered with. Better to swap the Fett for the correct 3 pack figure and clearly note it in the piece's back history. After all there aren't many of these items out there and someone should have the chance to enjoy it.

I am hopeful that the real message here is that when purchasing rare or expensive items always do your research and look for provenance before buying.

I must agree with you its has been tampered with its a shame that if there was photo evidence of its previous incarnation it could not have been returned to that original state with the obvious declaration to any future buyer rather than cutting the bubble , if an art painting was defaced or overpainting you wouldn't cut the area out you would try to return it to its original state if possible. :cry:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
bosk70 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

I must agree with you it has been tampered with, its a shame that if there was photo evidence of its previous incarnation it could not have been returned to that original state with the obvious declaration to any future buyer rather than cutting the bubble , if an art painting was defaced or overpainted later in its life you wouldn't cut the area out you would try to return it to its original state if possible. :cry:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
bosk70 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

I must agree with you its has been tampered with its a shame that if there was photo evidence of its previous incarnation it could not have been returned to that original state with the obvious declaration to any future buyer rather than cutting the bubble , if an art painting was defaced or overpainting you wouldn't cut the area out you would try to return it to its original state if possible. :cry:

That's a fair point, that would have been a better option in my opinion.

walkie

Sith Lord
before and after pics....

nbvwLbA.jpg

sRvdXo3.jpg

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
At worst it's a reseal. To sit there and slice the bubble open is ridiculous.

TBF he paid for it and it's his right but as someone else stated putting this on YouTube screams of 'look at me....I'm controversial, like me!'

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I'm no expert on these three packs but my understanding of them is that they were a cheeky attempt to make a quick buck off of the back of a donation of weaponless figures from Kenner. If so, does this not make them no more than a curiosity? Collectible maybe, but no better than a Toy Toni item, or if any one of us on here had made our own packaging for new figure stock and sold it alongside official figure releases?

spoons

Grand Master
Nita Nitro said:
I'm no expert on these three packs but my understanding of them is that they were a cheeky attempt to make a quick buck off of the back of a donation of weaponless figures from Kenner. If so, does this not make them no more than a curiosity? Collectible maybe, but no better than a Toy Toni item, or if any one of us on here had made our own packaging for new figure stock and sold it alongside official figure releases?

Absolutely not

They are part of the Star Wars toy story and represent the decline of kids buying the toys, and ways stores found to keep the brand alive

Although not official they are very similar to Kaybee two packs, where carded or bagged figures were opened and repacked

Toni is a modern phenomena and has no bearing on how the toys were sold or marketed.

I agree that slicing the bubble for no reason is very sad

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Yeah, I agree with that Spoons. Wherever they came from, people obviously like them and collect them so it's sad that one has been removed from that market.

Palifan

Sith Lord
After watching the video I can see why Michael opened it up as he really didn't want this ever being passed off as the original release of this 3 pack ever. I'm not sure if this was the first 3 pack that had been found with this figure combination or if that's even really relevant but I guess it's a way of protecting the history of this item in some way. Saying that I'm not sure it's something I would have done but even if you sold it on with all the disclaimers about what you know about it, it's impossible to know that the next owner of it would do the same and I think that was the whole point of opening it up. I also think this was done so publicly so that everyone out there knew that this had been done to this item and the reasons for this happening.

I can totally see why this video would upset a lot of collectors out there although I'm sure there are a lot of supporters also for doing this but the one thing I kept thinking was did Tom Derby but a real Lando Skiff first shot in the fake box by accident? He seemed to pick up 2 of them from different boxes (the real and fake boxes he had on the table ), and then put them back in the same box. Hopefully he's not ruining the hobby himself lol!

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom