Do we know when certain card backs were launched into shops?

UKS

Jedi Knight
Hi all!

I am trying to work out "exactly" when I got my first Star Wars figures. I can remember the event, I can just about remember the figures... but the date? I was just too young to know that. Alas, my parents have passed away so I can't ask them (though I doubt they would have remembered!)

What I can tell you is the cardback (approx) all the figures had. ESB Palitoy 41.(https://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy/esb41acardback.htm) I got Leia Hoth, Lobot, Ugnaught (or two!) and Luke X-Wing. I also got an X-Wing (original in ESB box IIRC)

These would have almost certainly been new on the shelves, as it was the large Bristol department store, Debenhams.

(I think it was post Xmas, purchased with money from my Grand parents, though that could be wrong.)

So... what sort of time did that cardback appear in shops? Do any of us know?

(The reason I ask, is some independent research of something else, has blown my previously believed timeline up!)

UKS

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I don't know exact information but most of those figures came out in the 1981 wave. They'd be among the newest figures at Christmas 1981 although the figures tended to come out in Spring into Summer so would be a few months old. Still bigger than sliced bread tho...

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
This topic is close to my heart as it kickstarts the nostalgia I have for the first few figures I ever bought and decades later purchased as recards for display purposes. They were Luke Bespin , followed by At-At Driver and then Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear) - purchased in that order over a series of three to four weeks from the wonderful 'Scotch Corner' toyshop in KIlmarnock. However, I have yet been able to confirm exactly when in terms of which month although I am absolutely sure this took place around about mid to late 1981. Can anyone help out here? This is particularly important for me (or "sad" as my daughter describes it!) as it was these three ESB Palitoy figures that led me to an intensive three year SW childhood focus.

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
You may be able to work this out by looking at Palitoy advert dates in UK Star Wars Comics.

For example: The Empire Strikes Back Comic - Issue 134 (18.09.1980) advertised "Can the Empire Ever be destroyed"
featuring drawings of: Hoth, Bounty Hunters, Yoda & Lando figures.

I did start a spreadsheet where id recorded key UK star Wars dates, e.g mail away figure offer dates, new waves of figures etc. I never completed it, partly because I don't have many star wars comics, partly laziness and partly because i didn't think people were that bothered.

You can also look up historic Star Wars adverts from your local toy shop through

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Its free to download a few articles. Not all newspapers are on it & it takes some searching.

Hope this helps you find the info you need.

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Just had a look at the spreadsheet and it has quite a bit of useful date related info on it.

if anyone wants it, let me have your email address and I'll zap it over

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom