Waffle pattern on Vintage SW cardbacks

StarFox!

Youngling
Supporter
Hi guys. I've started buying a fair few vintage SW carded figures. I know about looking for the waffle pattern and how it should look. My question however is whether or not it is possible for people to re-seal blisters with glue and for the waffle pattern to still be fully visible? I'm hoping that none of my cardbacks are reseals. I'm assuming that if someone did manage this then it wouldn't look as clean and new as what a true waffle seal should look like. Please advise 😀

TK-7785

Jedi Master
It is possible and people do do it. Reseals are an accepted part of the hobby and you can usually tell. However, depending on how damaged the card back and bubble were when originally opened, if can go unnoticed. There are sellers who may knowingly sell a reseal as an original factory seal or someone may make a genuine mistake in not noticing. Look carefully for any evidence of damage to the litho (card print) inside the bubble where the bubble attaches to the card as it's hard to fix any tears internally once reglued. Also any glue residue.

Chris

StarFox!

Youngling
Supporter
Thanks for your reply, Chris. Perhaps you could let me know your thoughts on these images of my Death Star Droid. Waffling is pretty visible all around and no nasty glue residue so I'm hoping fully factory sealed.

Attachments

• FDF8A608-CBE9-4BC5-8315-5965EB2E6083.jpeg
    FDF8A608-CBE9-4BC5-8315-5965EB2E6083.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 809
  • 6406F7AC-FFDA-4D52-851B-A7EABB9BDC79.jpeg
    6406F7AC-FFDA-4D52-851B-A7EABB9BDC79.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 815
  • 83BC489A-FD9E-404B-9DAF-CB2C4B965C32.jpeg
    83BC489A-FD9E-404B-9DAF-CB2C4B965C32.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 817

TK-7785

Jedi Master
From what I can see the bubble and seal looks fine. It might just be reflections but the figure looks to have some play wear on him (chips and scratches on the chrome around his crotch and upper legs), which would be odd for factory sealed figure.

StarFox!

Youngling
Supporter
Thanks. I too think the seal is genuine as very clean and normal looking. The figure does have a few marks on it (some are reflections too). I'm hoping that these marks are just due to ageing and/or light exposure. Anyway, thanks for your messages 👍🏻

StarFox!

Youngling
Supporter
Thanks! I think it is too. I think that the Death Star droid itself inside looks a bit worn simply because of its age. I've been investigating other MOC Death Star droids (graded and non graded) and many appear to show small scratches- a combination of wear over the years simply because of its metallic shiny look it easily shows its age.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Also these figures were stored in large bulk bins in the factory before being sealed and there can always be some wear, where they came into contact with each other before sealing , if you look at some of the old factory photos and film on line you can see how they were stored, just toys back then on their way to be ripped off the cards by eager kids like me a few weeks later, :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom