Settle for a reseal?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
A MOC I need to complete a run has just come up for sale on eBay, however it's partially resealed (from the photos looks like only one side is still factory sealed.) It's a very hard to find MOC, only a few are known to exist. I already have a cardback. As it's a scarce MOC, even the reseal is quite expensive (several hundred pounds.)

I can't decide whether to buy it or not. I already have a cardback, which is a placeholder. But so would this be, even though it is an upgrade. I know that I would still not be satisfied until I got a fully sealed one.

So what would you do, hold out for a sealed one with the possibility of never owning one, or snap up this reseal?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I was so anti reseals for at least 20 years.

These days, certain cards are so rare, that a reseal is fine with me.

It was Ryan Bluedogs amazing Palitoy 12 back reseal that made me change my mind. I picked up a mint 12 back Palitoy Chewbacca reseal for £70 at the same time sealed ones were going for £5500.

I think if you've been around long enough, you will realise that some of the MOCs are just to scarce.

lejackal

Grand Master
Although you'll still be looking for a MOC I'd say go for it if it's that rare.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Assuming the price is fair, and given the rarity, I would buy the reseal. Yes, technically it doesn't complete your run as you're still looking for a fully sealed version, but you can always upgrade if and when the factory sealed one comes around.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I dismiss reseals and partial reseals. Thats just me, sounds like you want it, so get it. :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Personally I would go for the reseal if and when the opportunity came up to buy the fully sealed version you could always sell on the reseal, that way you have a more than tangible place filler and should the fullY sealed elude you for evermore then you won't regret not buying the reseal.

By the way did I say I love reseals :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Re seals have a place in the hobby nowadays what with the prices and rarity of some MOCS.
I have two, never thought I would, but I'm happy with them, until a upgrade comes along.
Go for it, sell the card back and keep looking for a sealed MOC.
It will fill that space that otherwise will remain empty and remind you of this missed opportunity.

maxf

Jedi Master
I bought 2 part sealed/reseals as 'placeholders' for my palitoy run - I was always going to upgrade them if the opportunity came along but honestly, they don't even bother me know and I'm not sure I'd spend the money to upgrade given the extra 'value' I'd get from spending the cash. Go for it.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I would buy it without question or hesitation. If the MOC is that rare, so will good quality reseals be. And as has been stated, if in the future you find the actual MOC, you can always recoup your outlay on the reseal, and probably even make a profit on it if enough time has passed.

To put it another way, which would you rather own, this:

Pal LS B4.jpg

or this?

Pal LS After.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's sold now anyway so might as well post what it was:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124003288111

The last 70C card I need for my run and also the rarest, Nikto. Regardless of rarity I just couldn't bring myself to pay nearly £400 for a resealed trilogo Nikto. I don't have any regrets holding out for a sealed one, yet!

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:

The last 70C card I need for my run and also the rarest, Nikto. Regardless of rarity I just couldn't bring myself to pay nearly £400 for a resealed trilogo Nikto. I don't have any regrets holding out for a sealed one, yet!

I think I'd struggle to pay £400 for that purely on the basis that a 70b/c Trilogo variation would go unnoticed by probably 98% of people so the chances of getting one for considerably less must be fairly high. Certainly more chance of one of them going under the radar than a Trilogo Madine anyway

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

What will be will be...
Good luck with your continued search.

spoons

Grand Master
why dont you make a reseal with your cardback Edd? Best of both worlds, you have your placeholder, save some cash and can wait for the real thing.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I think Gary has the only 45A Han Hoth so I've just picked up a nice cardback with original figure and am now looking for a bubble to display with the rest of my Pals. £35 outlay rather than at leat £1 or £2k puts things into perspective.

Just need an 02 bubble if anyone has a spare :mrgreen:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
spoons said:
why dont you make a reseal with your cardback Edd? Best of both worlds, you have your placeholder, save some cash and can wait for the real thing.

Yes it's a good idea, I did have a trilogo bubble to pair it with, but as the cardback has some litho missing it didn't really look anything like a MOC, and I didn't want to start restoring the cardback.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom