Selling Etiquette

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Recently there was a disagreement between a buyer and seller on here about the amount of detail and information disclosed in a sales post. I'm not going to name the individuals involved as in my opinion the seller didn't do anything wrong. It's now been sorted, both had valid points but it did raise some interesting questions about how things should be sold, as there are currently no rules and only a few guidelines in the sales section:

https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23184

Now I'm sure we've all seen sales posts of varying 'quality'. I have seen sellers post 10+ photos and a short essay about sub-£20 loose figures, and on the other hand I've seen people post one photo and no description for a 2k MOC (especially when graded as people assume the grade does the talking.) Should we introduce some seller guidelines?

For example - should a seller be required to describe (in text) any faults with items? How many photos should be added? Which common flaws should be disclosed (creases, discolouration, ink touch ups, bubble dents, lifting etc.) Some of these are subjective, and most you can usually see quite clearly in photos. So should people continue to use their common sense, or are you keen to help put together some sale requirements? Please post thoughts and suggestions.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I've always been of the opinion that you should describe and show, to the best of your ability, any and all details and then let the buyer decide if it has too many "flaws" or if they are can live with the condition of the item at that given price. However, in my experience one person's definition of 'mint' can be quite different to another's. Which is why I'm a firm believer in a picture tells a thousand words.

One of the reasons I like buying and selling on here is that there seems to be a level of decorum and understanding that has meant largely we haven't needed draconian rules. That said, perhaps a couple of basic outlines for both the sellers and buyers wouldn't hurt. As a seller you should at the least list the obvious flaws, such as ink touch ups, bubble cracks, lifting, paint rubs, very loose limbs etc. That said, if you're the kind of buyer where items must be mintier than the Extra Strong Mint factory, then I feel there is some onus on you to double check, ask for extra pics and be sure of what you're buying to avoid disappointment.

lejackal

Grand Master
I'm probably a bit lazy at times on listings but I do explain if there are cracks, dents etc.

That said we could knock up an example of what 'good' looks like for a listing and give people the opportunity to copy and paste the template, then add their own detail?

I don't think a raft of rules should apply apart from asking people to apply a bit of common sense as a buyer, pay G&S and ask for extra pics.

Maybe highlight that if flaws are not described then PayPal will side with the buyer

As long as ebays global shipping program isn't involved I'm not to concerned how a seller tries to sell their item as long as they are honest with whatever information they release . Buyers always ask questions and more pics if you have any concerns.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
I would agree with Carl`s post about mentioning certain flaws - if there are any, and try and take clear photos. On ebay I always include "any questions please ask, and if more pictures are needed"
And if I am interested in anything going on auction house sites ,I always ask now for more pictures, and have now taken to editing their pictures to highlight a specific area I am concerned with.
If it is an item I would not want damaged I would collect, and I suppose if you were unhappy about anything you would leave empty handed
(with regards to ebay or on here, as you can always pay by paypal if you needed to when there )
Paul

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
When I sell stuff I always describe any issue i.e.,crease,spider vein,scratch,bubble ding etc as best I can!

I've lost count of the number of times I've received something not described properly as the seller was too lazy so I wouldn't do it to someone else as I hate it being done to myself!

lejackal

Grand Master
Oh and please don't try to save 50p on postage :lol:

Attachments

• D4B32E67-FD1E-473A-A32E-D7EEBF6F00B4.jpeg
    D4B32E67-FD1E-473A-A32E-D7EEBF6F00B4.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,183

jayums

Jedi Master
I just think taking good quality pictures which show the item clearly (and doesn't mask any issues) is fine for most stuff.
The problem with being too fussy about written descriptions is that condition is very subjective, and if you start to describe issues that you spot, someone might then call you out on things you missed (fairly or unfairly!).

For run-of-the-mill loosies I think good quality photos suffice. What you see is what you get, and you can always ask about other stuff like limbs stiffness if it's not in the original listing.
On the other side, I do think if you're trying to sell a moc for hundreds or thousands, then you probably should go to the trouble of taking at least a few pics, and have a decent go at an appraisal of the item's condition. That said, I guess this usually can happen via PM with interested parties rather than in the sales thread.

So on balance, I think the seller has a responsibly to be honest, but equally we are all grown-ups and buyers should also not part with their cash without a bit of due diligence first.

Postage: I had to go to the post office a few times over the years for eBay purchases where I had to pay extra postage, and I always felt aggrieved about it (tight gits I thought!)... that was until I had somebody come back to me that I had underpaid postage!! It wasn't deliberate, as I just give anything I have to post to my local postmaster to sort out. I think sometimes it comes down to those envelope-parcel-sizing-price things... The postmasters check them at both ends apparently, and some make a bit of an effort to put them through the hole, whereas others presumably can be more fussy/awkward about it.

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:
Oh and please don't try to save 50p on postage :lol:

I saw that on Echo Carl before it got shut down by the admin.I don't get why you need to contact the admin there before you called him out,he started to ignore you so the next best thing is to call him out to get his attention.I'm sure it could've been sorted out without getting admin involved! :roll:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Maybe I'm being simplistic and old fashioned but for me on here ( as in life) it's all about trust.

Good description and photos when selling, as a buyer if you want more pics/ info ask for it, it may not apply elsewhere, but on here I think regular members know they can trust each other. If there is a situation arises post sale deal with it with decency and fairness, then it's all good.

jayums

Jedi Master
I agree Michael. This isn't the hard sell Wild West a la eBay / facebook etc where you might expect some shenanigans from time to time (goes with the territory).

It's a collectors forum, and I'm sure 99% of folk on here understand how to conduct themselves and deal with any issues that come up (- reasonably!)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I pretty much agree with most of what has been said. I always try to adopt the position when selling of treating others as I would want to be treated myself; write the description and provide the photos that I would want to see if I was the buyer, and pack the thing for posting as I would want to receive it. Yes, any major flaws should be highlighted (especially on more expensive items), but a picture paints a thousand words, so multiple, clear, well-lit photos of the item are a must. I get fed up with seeing eBay listings of things I might want to buy, but where only one or two low-res blurry photos have been taken with a light source behind the item, meaning it's in complete shadow!

Common sense, honesty, fairness and courtesy should be King on both sides of a successful sale. Both the buyer and the seller need to act responsibly, sensibly and fairly. If something is important to you as a buyer, but isn't clear from the listing, then ask the seller to clarify it! If they're also being sensible and reasonable, they will happily answer. Likewise if there is something about the item you are selling which clearly warrants special attention being drawn to it (as I have done here with my PBP 4-LOM listing, for example (https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=522772#p522772)), then you have an absolute obligation to do so! To do otherwise is to invite guaranteed disappointment on the part of the buyer and accusations of dishonesty or deceit on yours.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Michael Sith said:
Maybe I'm being simplistic and old fashioned but for me on here ( as in life) it's all about trust.

Good description and photos when selling, as a buyer if you want more pics/ info ask for it, it may not apply elsewhere, but on here I think regular members know they can trust each other. If there is a situation arises post sale deal with it with decency and fairness, then it's all good.

Mike has hit the nail on the head...
Remember "buy the seller before buying the item"; getting to know people is the key here. :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
TK-7785 said:
I've always been of the opinion that you should describe and show, to the best of your ability, any and all details and then let the buyer decide if it has too many "flaws" or if they are can live with the condition of the item at that given price. However, in my experience one person's definition of 'mint' can be quite different to another's. Which is why I'm a firm believer in a picture tells a thousand words.

One of the reasons I like buying and selling on here is that there seems to be a level of decorum and understanding that has meant largely we haven't needed draconian rules. That said, perhaps a couple of basic outlines for both the sellers and buyers wouldn't hurt. As a seller you should at the least list the obvious flaws, such as ink touch ups, bubble cracks, lifting, paint rubs, very loose limbs etc. That said, if you're the kind of buyer where items must be mintier than the Extra Strong Mint factory, then I feel there is some onus on you to double check, ask for extra pics and be sure of what you're buying to avoid disappointment.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom