The Vintage Rebellion Episode 68 Launched

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Happy Nearly New Year, its the first TVR podcast episode of 2020

68-fb.jpg

"We don't need another hero, we don't need to know the way home, All we want is to hear a podcast about vintage Star Wars collecting with an interview with Justin Haynie and Jenn Thunders(dome)" Catchy rendition of that famous theme tune, no? Richard catches up with these two awesome collectors whilst we are joined by the Andy's, Preston and Spoons (Norton in real life) for hosting duties.

In Rebel Briefings Richard highlights a mysterious tale of a price sticker, we share Gary Smith's completion of an incredible collection and a discussion breaks out on how best to display a much loved action figure.

Memories of ice lollies in Licence to Thrill as Pete delves into Andy Preston's sticky wrapper enthusiasm of Lyons Maid and sees if there's anything still worth tasting.

Three and a half hours of stuff...

https://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com/e/episode-68-beyhand-thunderdome/

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well having a great listen guys and am as always v grateful for all ur efforts :D
As u can prob guess a highlight for me was the report on my good friend Gary Smith's Palitoy landmark achievement of the first 10 Empire figures run from 30A to 45b-incredible pal well done 8) However not meaning to b rude but it is just the passion for Palitoy in me that forces me to point out a couple of errors in the report :!:

1, the 30A logo size is not the same size as the 20 back, it's what we call the mid size logo so it's in between the 20 back and the 12 back logo size. The 41 back displays about the size logo as the 20 back as the 30B displays about the same size as the 12 back.

2, there were 8 figures(poss 9) that debuted on the Palitoy 45a not 6; Black Bespin Guard, AT-AT Commander, 4-LOM, R2 Sensor Scope, Tie Fighter Pilot, Luke Hoth, Cloud Car Pilot and C-3PO Removable Limbs.

3, Regarding Gary's error of displaying two 30A IG-88s, that is a luxury that even Gary doesn't have! He only has the 1 example which is pretty amazing because as far as he knows no one else has a 30A IG-88 :!: It's the rarest Palitoy debut MOC :!: :!: This implies Gary's set of the first 10 on 30A is unique as is prob his first 10 30B set and currently his first 10 45a and 45b set due to the Leia Bespin(and 45a Han Hoth). Further talking about rarity, there are also some real rarities in the 30B set, the 41 set, indeed the 45a set and as mentioned the 45b set.

Amazing :shock:

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Thanks for your comments, you're absolutely right and I'm always happy to be corrected. But, my research was based on Jason's site - so I'm blaming him! :D

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
I am probably wrong but doesn't Max Field and someone called Ralph on here also have a 30a IG-88?

Palifan

Sith Lord
x-wingMark said:
I am probably wrong but doesn't Max Field and someone called Ralph on here also have a 30a IG-88?

I was also wondering about how rare the 30A IG-88 is as I have a reseal one and card back. Maybe it's the sealed MOC that's really hard to come by (or near impossible).

Great show though and I remember getting a SW lolly back in the day from an ice-cream van and them giving me the Stormtrooper paper mask. It's something I thought that I'd kept hold of along with my shreddies transfer sets and various sweet wrappers but I'm pretty sure it never ended up being saved with these. All great info in this section which I was happy to hear about and another fun podcast line-up.

Ian

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
AndyPreston said:
Thanks for your comments, you're absolutely right and I'm always happy to be corrected. But, my research was based on Jason's site - so I'm blaming him! :D

Hi there. What errors are on the site. I'll correct them.

Cheers Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
Well having a great listen guys and am as always v grateful for all ur efforts :D
As u can prob guess a highlight for me was the report on my good friend Gary Smith's Palitoy landmark achievement of the first 10 Empire figures run from 30A to 45b-incredible pal well done 8) However not meaning to b rude but it is just the passion for Palitoy in me that forces me to point out a couple of errors in the report :!:

1, the 30A logo size is not the same size as the 20 back, it's what we call the mid size logo so it's in between the 20 back and the 12 back logo size. The 41 back displays about the size logo as the 20 back as the 30B displays about the same size as the 12 back.

2, there were 8 figures(poss 9) that debuted on the Palitoy 45a not 6; Black Bespin Guard, AT-AT Commander, 4-LOM, R2 Sensor Scope, Tie Fighter Pilot, Luke Hoth, Cloud Car Pilot and C-3PO Removable Limbs.

3, Regarding Gary's error of displaying two 30A IG-88s, that is a luxury that even Gary doesn't have! He only has the 1 example which is pretty amazing because as far as he knows no one else has a 30A IG-88 :!: It's the rarest Palitoy debut MOC :!: :!: This implies Gary's set of the first 10 on 30A is unique as is prob his first 10 30B set and currently his first 10 45a and 45b set due to the Leia Bespin(and 45a Han Hoth). Further talking about rarity, there are also some real rarities in the 30B set, the 41 set, indeed the 45a set and as mentioned the 45b set.

Amazing :shock:

Have updated my cardback guide to reflect points 1 and 2.

cheers Jason

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
x-wingMark said:

Max's is a nice reseal, are you talking about "Wreck it Ralph"? If so he has my old mint 30B example.

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Thought I was probably wrong.

Just to say another great listen guys and Gary's Palitoy collection is just jaw dropping. 8)

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great listen again this month lads, very entertaining as usual.

Regarding the panels comments on the Rise of Skywalker, what would you recommend as an alternative set of stories (EU or Comics)? I really enjoyed TROS, but am curious to know what other 'Sequel' stories you preferred? I'm fascinated by the EU but too lazy to read, making it my mission this year to get into it.

Off to find an Imperial Attack Base now, smashing feature.

Thanks guys.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The Lyons Maid section was awesome. Hats off to 'Andy S. Preston Esquire' for his knowledge helping to bring it to life. Really helps having someone who totally knows his stuff just like when Craig Spivey was on for Letraset

Richard_H

Grand Master
Darth Bobby said:

Regarding the panels comments on the Rise of Skywalker, what would you recommend as an alternative set of stories (EU or Comics)? I really enjoyed TROS, but am curious to know what other 'Sequel' stories you preferred? I'm fascinated by the EU but too lazy to read, making it my mission this year to get into it.

Thanks guys.

You must have read Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series? I'd also do Dark Empire comics.
If you don't like them then you'll not like much else.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Richard_H said:
Darth Bobby said:

Thanks guys.

You must have read Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series? I'd also do Dark Empire comics.
If you don't like them then you'll not like much else.

No haven't read them, thanks for the recommendation.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Only just finished this episode, good job as always guys. Really enjoyed the discussion about the Empire Palitoy MOCs following on from Gary's showcase, I was quite surprised by the scarcity (or not) of some of them. I was also quite shocked by the price sticker story, pretty bad for a grading company to miss that. And I'm not 100% convinced by the owners story of 'sending it off for grading and see what happens', that doesn't excuse the seller of any responsibility.

On to the next!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom