What's the one vintage SW item you wished you had as a kid but never got?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm sure this thread has been done before but was thinking about it today. It's hard to pick one so I'll pick three, one from figures, 1 from vehicles and one from playsets.

The one figure I never got was Han Solo, pretty shocking I know. I had all the Hans apart from the original. Just never found one in the shops, probably because I was late to the game, 1983/84 they were all gone down my way!

The vehicle has to be an X-Wing, yes I know pretty unforgiving really! Just not sure what happened had a Y-Wing, B-Wing, Rebel Transporter and MF but not an X-Wing! I remeber asking for one a lot.

Playset is easy as well, never got a Jabba the Hutt. Friend had one, I really wanted one as well, just thought it was really cool. Had a Rancor and most of Jabba's goons, but not the centrepiece.

Would be interesting to read what you all missed out on? I made sure I got all these items in the 90's with hard earned cash and still have them. Still need a box for my Jabba though.

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Probably a falcon or a tie fighter. To be honest though my best mate had those so it didn't really matter too much. I think our parents must have coordinated it especially so we had different stuff. I had an x wing, snowspeeder and an at at, he had a falcon tie fighter and ewok village so between the 2 of us we could manage some decent battles.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
I always wanted the Falcon (which I have now), I had the rebel transporter and my brother had the falcon 😡, and never had a yoda but hopefully will tick him off my list 😎😎😎

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Imperial Attack Base for me. I loved playing with my mate's, such a great set with fantastic action features, but I never got one as a kid.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
AT-AT here too.
The first item I bought off ebay was an Imperial troop transporter, and the second was an unused AT-AT.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Suprising how many never got an AT-AT, everyone seemed to have one where I lived. Even friends who weren't into Star Wars got one!

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Suprising how many never got an AT-AT, everyone seemed to have one where I lived. Even friends who weren't into Star Wars got one!

They were bloody expensive so surely not that surprising. My uncle (who was unmarried and drove a Capri at the time!) Got me mine.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:

Would the AT-AT have cost about the same as a Falcon years ago ?
As I've a feeling I didn't get one due to size and trucking my toys down to my nan's regularly on the weekends to play with the kids down there.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
AT-AT's were about £25 give or take a phew quid. MF was about the same it was £20 from Argos at one point.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
AT-AT's were about £25 give or take a phew quid. MF was about the same it was £20 from Argos at one point.

Google recon today's equivalent of £25 is about £76.
Those who had a falcon ,At-At and x wing for Christmas were really lucky :lol:
But we had our monies worth out of the toys, unlike kids today sadly.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
welshwookie said:
theforceuk said:

Google recon today's equivalent of £25 is about £76.
Those who had a falcon ,At-At and x wing for Christmas were really lucky :lol:
But we had our monies worth out of the toys, unlike kids today sadly.

Yes very true, although my son does get a lot of play from his Lego and it is easy to sell everything on these days once they have grown out of the toys.

I remember my Grandad used to give me a cheque for £15 at birthdays and Christmas, no way that felt like £45 though.

UKS

Jedi Knight
I had quite a lot of SW when I was young so had most of the main vehicles.

I also wasn't a huge vehicle fan, so didn't feel I missed out on the one or two I didn't have (tie fighter/snowspeeder)

I think the one thing I wanted would have been a figure... but which one? I had about 80% of them and access to about 15% of the rest!

I think what I yearned for would probably have been a bit different.

What I wanted was.... large amounts of certain troops! I only had one stormtrooper and wanted LOTS!

I know I had two Bikers, two at at drivers, I think I had 2 Hoth and 2 at-st drivers... but only one stormtrooper!

So for me. The one vintage I wanted was lots of vintage things of the same type.

(My neighbour had 5 rebel soldiers..)

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
There were a few different items I'd wanted as a kid but never got - the Imperial Troop Transporter and Imperial Attack Base spring to mind straight away.

But there's one that's head and shoulders above them - the Palitoy Death Star. As a kid I knew someone who had one and, for something that was made of cardboard, it was absolutely mind-blowing. There was just so much you could do with it - the walkway, the turret, the chute into the trash compactor, the trash compactor itself, the door out of the trash compactor... Phenomenal. I wanted one so badly. Sadly it was the sort of toy my parents would never have bought - "How much? For just a few sheets of cardboard!?" Ah well.

I still don't have one now, ironically because I can't justify to myself the price they demand for what's really just a few sheets of cardboard! :lol: :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
There were two figures I really wanted but could never find new as a kid, Luke X-Wing and the Biker Scout. I eventually managed to get both second hand in the late 80s, but by then I was getting in to MASK so I wish I'd got them a couple of years earlier to enjoy.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I must admit that at the time the only clue you had to the more obscure items in the UK was the glimpses we had on the back of the odd kenner card we would find on the peg mixed in with the many Palitoy, in the early days and I always wondered what it would be like to have access to some of the playsets that we just never seemed to have in the shops over here, the sandcrawler play set , I never ever saw that over here or even the sandcrawler ever :) with the limited advertising you have access too as an 7-8-9 year old these small pictures on the back of the kenner cards were very interesting . As a kid you had no idea of Palitoy /Kenner market supply divides or anything like that. It was always the sandcrawler that interested me the most of all the items you never, ever saw in the toy shops in the UK. Don't know if this was any different for any of the other UK , 50 year olds on here ?? :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
bosk70 said:
I must admit that at the time the only clue you had to the more obscure items in the UK was the glimpses we had on the back of the odd kenner card we would find on the peg mixed in with the many Palitoy, in the early days and I always wondered what it would be like to have access to some of the playsets that we just never seemed to have in the shops over here, the sandcrawler play set , I never ever saw that over here or even the sandcrawler ever :) with the limited advertising you have access too as an 7-8-9 year old these small pictures on the back of the kenner cards were very interesting . As a kid you had no idea of Palitoy /Kenner market supply divides or anything like that. It was always the sandcrawler that interested me the most of all the items you never, ever saw in the toy shops in the UK. Don't know if this was any different for any of the other UK , 50 year olds on here ?? :D

My then local toy shop in the small town of Ware in Hertfordshire carried the entire Palitoy Star Wars line in 1978-79. It was actually a tiny shop, but I still managed to get all of the following there (but certainly not all at once!): Palitoy Cantina, Droid Factory, Land of the Jawas, Death Star, Land Speeder, X-Wing Fighter and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, plus most of the figures (the ones I didn't manage to get there being because they had sold out). I too saw the occasional Kenner cardback (although not in Ware Toy Shop, which seemed to carry exclusively Palitoy branded Star Wars toys) showing the Kenner versions of the playsets, but of course the Sandcrawler proper was never featured on the back of a figure card, only the Land of the Jawas version, and hence I was blissfully ignorant of its existence until the 90's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom