The Vintage Rebellion Episode 69 Launched

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Wehay.. 69... fnarr, fnarr,.. phwoar...

facebook69.jpg

Funnily enough the episode number of this podcast produced zero crude jokes and innuendo's, which is surprising. Almost as much as Jason Smith returning with fellow supporting guest co-host Andrew Mr Spoons Norton.

The main interview sees Richard catch up with David Deans to discuss many things including his love of that short fused droid R5-D4.

A brazen phalanx of midland and northern flavoured hosts results in a focus on that great staple of British picnics: the Thermos - in Pete's Licensee section.

Richard warbles merrily in Rebel Briefings about Jasons cardback matrix, the forthcoming Propstore auction and poses the question from the Tantive forum about "Collecting without Buying".

https://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com/e/episode-69-r5-deans4/

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Another cool listen, many thanks fellas :)

Just to say Mr Palitoy, ur efforts on ur website and continued work is much appreciated mate 8)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thankyou. You make hours of chores go by in a flash.

Also. What's in that Thermos Hughie?
Pea and ham.
Pea and ham, from a chicken?! Now that's clever.
( maybe that's a regional thing )

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Another knock out episode, thanks guys ... I was thinking though...surely the title should have Pete and the missing catalog? :roll:

Palifan

Sith Lord
Almost at the end of another great listen and as ever the interview was really interesting as was pete's section on Thermos (I always thought they just made flasks whilst growing up as well and it was only noticing the Star Wars lunch boxes years ago that I realised they branched out).

One section that I found really interesting was the discussion about not buying that many Star Wars items but still enjoying the hobby. I'm definitely in that camp and must admit that I've pretty much stopped buying any vintage or modern SW items. The last things I can remember picking up was the first wave of Retro figures and a loose ERG ages ago. I hardly even have any SW items on display any more as all my collecting space is made up of other toy lines but it certainly hasn't stopped my interest in this area. I still daily check this forum and weekly listen to the RFR podcast and this one each month and receive a lot of enjoyment from all of these areas. You really don't need to be buying every week to still enjoy the hobby and as we all know there's always something new to learn about it, regardless of how long you've had interest in it.

I say buy and enjoy what you like but it's worth listening to Jason about not selling up as soon as your interest wains in something as you may well want to go back to it. Give it a bit of time before letting go of what you once cherished just to make sure you're doing the right thing. I've still kept hold of my SW collection as I get a lot of enjoyment out of looking at it all from time to time and as I change my display around all of the time I know one day the SW items will be back up in the cabinet.

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
chipsteak said:

Pea and ham.

Definitely a regional thing - I don't understand that at all :lol:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Great episode fellas! Especially loved the Thermos discussion. Had a Thermos flask as a kid and remember breaking the glass inside several times and pouring out tea or soup full of shards of lethal glass! I remember my parents buying new inners for them, rather than a whole new flask. I even smuggled a froglet home in one from my class, instead of releasing it in the school pond :lol:

I remember very well when the new 'indestructible' plastic flasks came out. They were supposed to be revolutionary...They had a kind of foam layer in between the plastic, instead of the glass vacuum inner. Suffice to say, I wasn't allowed a SW one and was so jealous of my mates who had them, along with the matching lunch boxes (Yoda/Vader). I ended up with a red Snoopy one and being tremendously disappointed that it didn't really work very well at all. Luke warm soup is so disappointing! I also remember the design getting scratched and worn pretty quickly. Great concept, but pretty lame in reality. Fantastically nostalgic though!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
spoons said:
chipsteak said:

Pea and ham.

Ah right. I just took a complete breakdown after hearing the word Thermos again.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
chipsteak said:
spoons said:
chipsteak said:

Pea and ham.

Ah right. I just took a complete breakdown after hearing the word Thermos again. It happens to old Scottish people all the time.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
After an absolutely horrible week it was such a treat to listen to this episode. Maybe because it was recorded before the lockdown, it was nice to hear friends discussing old toys. Very uplifting and a welcome distraction from the rolling news. I don't think I'll have a lot of spare cash over the next couple of months so I won't be buying much vintage, but once it's over I intend to get right back on it.
I've been buying bits of modern because I think there's some really nice pieces out there, I really like all of the Rogue One Hasbro stuff.
At the end of the podcast Richard was talking about how kids don't know what DVDs are. I still buy DVDs and young people at work take the piss out of me. Well apparently the streaming services can't cope with the amount of people streaming and Netflix keeps going down! Who's laughing now?!
Great work everyone, we're going to need you to help us through! Thanks.

Jez

Sith Lord
Just started this :) Looking forward to listening to a pre C19 chin wag. Definitely looking forward to the Thermos section. Nostalgia for sure :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom