Feel good post in these troubled times

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
We are all dealing with the current situation and the impact is massive for most people, so I thought I'd do something in a very small way to lighten the mood

It might not be of interest to some but may be to others

Just post up on this thread why Star Wars is important to you, what are the reasons for you collecting, anything really

And I will choose a recipient of this acrylic on canvas I have and post out to you

Only prerequisite is you have to have posted on here at least 50 posts and be in the UK and I will chose the most relevant to me posting and then post out the canvas to you as a little cheer up.

We are going through a very torrid time at the moment and for me, it doesn't matter how small the gesture anything positive helps in these times

So get posting and I will post the canvas out to the one I feel most fits the bill

Maybe it's not of interest and maybe people will think " that's a daft idea" but just trying to rIse a smile

Here's the canvas 51 x 30 cm

Attachments

• IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,405

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Cracking idea and very charitable 👌😎

The reasons why Star Wars is important to me is the fact that it's been in my life since I was a kid and I love the films, toys, collectables and everything to do with it, Star Wars never ages, plus collecting and displaying my collection gives me a good feeling and is a distraction from reality.

Plus with being on this forum, i get to talk to like minded individuals like you all and have a laugh 😎👌

quins

Padawan
Supporter
Nice one.
Simply put.For me.
Great memories and great times and collecting what i can brings it all back.
:D

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
We are all dealing with the current situation and the impact is massive for most people, so I thought I'd do something in a very small way to lighten the mood

It might not be of interest to some but may be to others

Just post up on this thread why Star Wars is important to you, what are the reasons for you collecting, anything really

And I will choose a recipient of this acrylic on canvas I have and post out to you

Only prerequisite is you have to have posted on here at least 50 posts and be in the UK and I will chose the most relevant to me posting and then post out the canvas to you as a little cheer up.

We are going through a very torrid time at the moment and for me, it doesn't matter how small the gesture anything positive helps in these times

So get posting and I will post the canvas out to the one I feel most fits the bill

Maybe it's not of interest and maybe people will think " that's a daft idea" but just trying to rIse a smile

Here's the canvas 51 x 30 cm

What a nice idea Mike

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Fantastic gesture Mike.
You are a prime example of what makes this place great.😀

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Nice gesture Mike, standard from you though so not suprised. Star Wars is important to me because it was the first thing I remember getting excited about and still get excited about it now with the same feelings from all those years ago.
:)

x-pack

Grand Master
Mike is so generous. Top man

Star Wars is a connection to my childhood. The toys, the films and the stories behind these things. Then there's the guys in the hobby. Some really decent people. It's great and I still love everything about the hobby.

coomber75

Sith Lord
star wars captured my imagination as a kid first the films followed by the toys, these were given away by my mum when i went to university apart from 1 box which if you scroll back in time on this forum i found, yes you guessed it... in the loft... i posted the contents on here to get advice.. in that box... the standard... ben, luke vader, damn ewoks... oh and as i was then told... a vcj :shock: add that to the only cardback that survived.. a 20 back palitoy snag... and after a short debate, some shock from my wife that... ' that tiny bit of plastic is worth how much...' and some sound guidance from you guys here i started to go to toy fairs again.. the passion for a loose run started,.. friendship grew, knowledge grew.. the bug grew... now my wifes love of a spreadsheet allowed me to tick off my list, its given us some great days out to toy fairs, comic cons.. display alterations... cost me a fortune but created memories and fun and still get the buzz of the search. of course the loose collection was completed and the path i said i would never ho down started.. moc occurred but amongst it all the chat, yhe forum, the knowledge and the people have kept it a no hassel no argument no drama great feel way to while away the hours.. to that i have to thank star wars and my fellow collectors... oh better add in my wife too :lol:

coomber75

Sith Lord
and found my first thread
https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=253543#p253543, what can i say reading through a few of you have been with me every step of the way including you Mike, :D

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Alwas looking after your fellow collector Mike, such a great gesture, but what we have all come to expect from you kind sir.

Collecting SW for me is like for many about the capturing a small slice of our childhood, it's been with me & part of my life as long as I can remember & very much always something thats been a part of the fabric of my make up since first rolling into the Oadby picture house in 77, thats a superb pic you have done, I think your work is improving buddy, please don't enter me, let someone else have the chance as I have some great pieces of yours already that I proudly display with my collection.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
What a delightful thread.

Well SW is personable to us all in a myriad of different ways.
My introduction i can still taste, smell and hear.
I was 10 years old when my friend's Dad took us to the old ABC in Sheffield.
I seem to remember it being Christmassy as it was cold, icy and snowy but it could have been Jan/Feb of '78 as we didn't get it in May '77.
The things i remember are a bit strange some might think.
I was unprepared for the huge queues outside and remember Jim (my mate Steve's Dad) saying the world was going mad for this film and it was breaking records.
I was spellbound by the imagery on the posters outdside so didn't notice the long wait or my freezing toes.
Once inside the foyer we had an age to get to and up the winding stairs as another queue was forming to a downstairs auditorium.
Please remeber in those days i don't think it was a thing to pre-book so you just turned up to get a ticket.
Once we were on the first floor my pulse started to race as we could hear a fanfare of music, i could see the doors to the auditoriums and i was absorbing further movie stills and artwork.
There was a posh red twisted rope railing separating two queues for each auditorium as they were both or all showing Star Wars.
The rope undulated up and down to various free standing ornately carved wooden posts and my head was just about level with each one.
A sign at the end said "queue here" which looking back seemed a bit daft as we'd already been queueing for more than an hour.
The queue slowly made it's way through the door as we could hear explosions and talking.
We got around the corner and i was blown away by the size of the auditorium, about 4 times bigger than the multiplexes of today.
THE FILM HAD ALREADY STARTED ffs!
As we walked down a few steps and took some seats the scene was dark. Who was this little droid moving down a rocky path? The noises had me immersed instantly, the robot was making beeping murmurings as his motors whirred before the shining lights from behind the rocks and boulders revealed themselves and blasted the poor little guy.
I was hooked, that moment kinda changed my life in a way.

Less than a week later i made my Dad take me and my friend to see it again, this time at the Gaumont which was even bigger.
The lights went down, the huge curtains swung away and the fanfare and beginning had me mesmorised as i had missed this before. That scene with the Stormtroopers boarding instantly became my favourite and i felt a huge sense of pride and excitement that i was making my Dad see this.

Within weeks i was buying SW soaps from shops and magazines with any pics i could lay my hands on. I even started to 'read' the neswspapers :p
I'm certain it was Star Wars that made me become a very good reader at an early age.

Sometime later i was buying toys that were starting to come out.
One week I'd be in Redgates of Sheffield and the next Coopers of Rotherham.
I bacame a member of the Star Wars fan club before it was known as Bantha Tracks and still have my old letters which i would be excited to receive through my letter box from America and read up on any info about the new Star Wars 2 they were making.
I thought it was so cool back then as i was a member of 2 fan clubs both with the same initials of SWFC..
Star Wars Fan Club
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club
How cool is that 8)
I used to draw pictures and even devised a new character for a competition in the fan club for a new bounty hunter in the upcoming new film which they had now titled The Empire Strikes Back.
I need to post all my scrap books on here sometime.

By the time Return of the Jedi came out i had started to 'grow up' and although it still blew me away and i went to see it a few times, money was tight due to football and starting to fancy girls and buy clothes.
I sold most of my stuff to a bloke called Kevin Sayles from my Mums workplace for his kids, i needed some spending money.
I remember the exact amount.
All my vehicles and playsets were Palitoy and the figures were half and half with Kenner. I sold my Landspeeder, DV Tie, Slave I, Cloud Car, Death Star and 12" figures of Boba Fett and Stormtrooper.
He also had my Denys Fisher R2 and C3PO model kits i had built and i had £50 in my pocket which didn't last.
I managed to keep my figures, around 60 (all SW & ESB) plus both blue and red full sets of Topps trading cards although a little beat up from the playground.
I regretted selling it all within a week but it was too late.

Fast forward about ten years and i had a full time job with good wages as i got re-introduced to SW via the Timothy Zahn trilogy..... a dangerous combination and the die was cast as i endeavoured to get back everything i once owned as a kid and the toys my parents couldn't afford as my Dad was down the pit and my Mum worked at Handsworth Asda ( the one in the Full Monty)

There was no internet or eBay then so i subscribed to Model and Collectors Mart and started to visit car boots, small toy fairs and then the big one, NEC Memorabilia!! :shock:
I was blown away by the things you could still buy and prices they were fetching.
100quid for a Palitoy Luke still on card, outrageous!
As soon as i walked into the big hall there was a dealer selling full trade boxes and seperate packs of MY original trading cards.
I had to have everything and did try for a time buying every single figure on every single cardback, well i gave it a good go :lol:
I do regret parting with my full set of Glasslites, Top Toys Yoda etc but when i actually started to stand at fairs myself it actually became quite cleansing but unfortunately it also added more fuel as i was able to acquire more stuff and i was there in the first place to try and de-clutter my house.

However, the main ingredient of this journey are the people and friends i have encountered over the years with a similar passion to mine.
Characters i wouldn't have had the pleasure to bump into without our galaxy and still to this day keep in touch with a few of them.
People from the old days like Gary, Carl and Bernie.
The first two even stayed at mine one weekend after we went to see Madness at Sherwood Pines so we all reciprocated a year later and had a curry weekend at Sith Smiths palace in London.

Whenever i acquire any SW merchandise to this day or talk with a friend or fellow collector, i am instantly taken back to the whirring mechanics of R2 in the Dune sea and realise his journey is somehow inherent with my own.

I apologise if i have meandered a little but this in a nutshell is what Star Wars means to me and if i had the time or indeed you had the patience, i could write a novel of my experiences and how it has shaped me.

MTFBWY

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
The ABC and Gaumont cinemas in Sheffield back in my day.
Proper cinematic experiences.

Kind regards
Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-090024.png
    Screenshot_20200418-090024.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 917
  • Screenshot_20200418-090037.png
    Screenshot_20200418-090037.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 914
  • Screenshot_20200418-101813.png
    Screenshot_20200418-101813.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 920
  • Screenshot_20200418-102623.png
    Screenshot_20200418-102623.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 916

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Some great reasons on this thread' will pick the winner tomorrow,

AND........There is a consolation prize as well, :?:

so this will go out to the second choice ( need to frame it up though yet) as I strip canvas when I buy it from the frame do the painting then reframe...can't find the frame for this one :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 907
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom