Vintage is my Alcohol

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
We live in strange times. I'm back on the trail, searching out and buying vintage.
I'm self isolating, I have an underlying health issue which means I need to be a little bit careful. The health issue is fine, I'm sorted. However about 13 years ago I wasn't and I had to have a heart operation. The operation went well and hopefully I'm fixed up (touch wood). One of the outcomes of the operation was that I had to give up drinking. I used to be a very social drinker. I'm from Newcastle so most of my friends are heavy drinkers, it was always around when I was growing up. So when I gave it up it effected my social life in a big way. I was 34 when I gave up drinking and to be honest I don't miss it one bit. The hangovers were getting worse and I used to spend a lot of money going out etc. However every now and then I feel it, a sunny Friday night when everyone is out drinking, a social occasion, a bad day at work, or a situation of stress. These are all times when I think "I'd love a pint".
This brings me to my point... it occurred to me the other day, whenever I get the urge I for a drink I buy a bit of vintage. I've had bad days at work where I've thought "F@@k it! I'm buying a moc on the way home!" I know I shouldn't buy a moc on the way home but it gives me the buzz of going out for a drink.
A few years ago the old health problem flared up again for a few months. To take my mind off it I decided I wanted to put together the whole last 17 loose run but on a budget. Hunting around for bargains kept me sane. It took a while but saw me through while the doctor fixed me up again.
Now that we are in this current situation and trapped inside I find myself repeating that behaviour. Looking out for bargains, searching out budget mocs, or just watching the live auctions on Echo.
My girlfriend kind of understands collecting although I think she thinks I'm round the bend when I get excited watching a toy auction on Facebook. But she gets it. It's my thing and it keeps me entertained.
I think we are very lucky to have such a rich and varied interest. If Star Wars is your thing there's a whole world of distraction to immerse yourself in.
If Covid 19 is twisting your melon, switch off the news, put on the OT and rearrange your figures. It works for me every time.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A great post, and well done for finding a way to cope with things which doesn't harm your health. I guess pretty much everyone on this forum will understand your addiction to vintage to one extent or another, so you're definitely amongst friends :D

Thanks for sharing your story, and may you remain healthy and vintage-obsessed!

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
I agree with Snake, that is a tremendous post Bobby and puts things into perspective.
I love how you equate collecting vintage to having a drink, well SW collecting has certainly kept me intoxicated over the years.
A really good read that mate.

Still can't forgive your lot for nicking Steve Bruce from us :wink:
Stay safe brother.

Regards
Paul

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Cracking post 😎👌 and I agree, puts things into perspective.

I too am off work due to an underlying health problem and am really struggling everyday with this lockdown, so to utilise my time efficiently I am valeting my Mini and T4 Camper from top to bottom, quite enjoying it and keeps me busy. As far as buying owt vintage, it's been a while and I'm missing it to be honest, think it was Christmas time..........got to get back on it 😃

Stay safe Bobby and all the others on this forum and let's hope things get back to normal soon.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great post Bobby

That is the true nature of the resilience of the human race, well done mate :D

"intoxicated by vintage" that's a great line

Stay safe all :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I don't have an underlying health issue but I definitely know where you're coming from Bobby. In 2009 I developed prostatitis and had to give up alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods for around 2 years. It was a difficult time with a lot of my vices taken away from me. At the time I was not collecting and I certainly could of done with a hobby to keep me sane.

Today I can only work intermittently because of a serious back condition and I turn to our hobby all the time. Now in lockdown I normally look at my collection every night before going to bed and it brings a smile to my face.

Haven't managed to pick up anything of significance though as I've noticed prices are generally high at the moment as everyone is off work or working from home with more time on their hands, and searching eBay for Star Wars. You can see just in the number of watchers on each auction. A standard Lando Calrissian sold for £30 for ****s sake. :cry:

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Darth Bobby said:
We live in strange times. I'm back on the trail, searching out and buying vintage.
I'm self isolating, I have an underlying health issue which means I need to be a little bit careful. The health issue is fine, I'm sorted. However about 13 years ago I wasn't and I had to have a heart operation. The operation went well and hopefully I'm fixed up (touch wood). One of the outcomes of the operation was that I had to give up drinking. I used to be a very social drinker. I'm from Newcastle so most of my friends are heavy drinkers, it was always around when I was growing up. So when I gave it up it effected my social life in a big way. I was 34 when I gave up drinking and to be honest I don't miss it one bit. The hangovers were getting worse and I used to spend a lot of money going out etc. However every now and then I feel it, a sunny Friday night when everyone is out drinking, a social occasion, a bad day at work, or a situation of stress. These are all times when I think "I'd love a pint".
This brings me to my point... it occurred to me the other day, whenever I get the urge I for a drink I buy a bit of vintage. I've had bad days at work where I've thought "F@@k it! I'm buying a moc on the way home!" I know I shouldn't buy a moc on the way home but it gives me the buzz of going out for a drink.
A few years ago the old health problem flared up again for a few months. To take my mind off it I decided I wanted to put together the whole last 17 loose run but on a budget. Hunting around for bargains kept me sane. It took a while but saw me through while the doctor fixed me up again.
Now that we are in this current situation and trapped inside I find myself repeating that behaviour. Looking out for bargains, searching out budget mocs, or just watching the live auctions on Echo.
My girlfriend kind of understands collecting although I think she thinks I'm round the bend when I get excited watching a toy auction on Facebook. But she gets it. It's my thing and it keeps me entertained.
I think we are very lucky to have such a rich and varied interest. If Star Wars is your thing there's a whole world of distraction to immerse yourself in.
If Covid 19 is twisting your melon, switch off the news, put on the OT and rearrange your figures. It works for me every time.

Thanks for sharing mate. Keep safe

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great that Star Wars has been a replacement for you, amazing to think what Star Wars has become for so many.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom