Who made the Cherry/Rose Eyed Yodas and the MIHK tagged robes?

LukeGroundLimper

Youngling
I'm struggling to find the cherry/rose eyes. I've got a tagged robe but don't know what color his eyes are supposed to be. The eyes are a dull rose color and the figure, robe and belt were told to me to be originally together. The cane and orange snake are from other figures. I just haven't ever seen one with eyes that I would call cherry is why I'm hoping fir some help. Thanks for any info about any part of this Yoda would be a big help.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The Cherry eyes Yoda was made by the Unitoys factory. It was the first Yoda figure produced by them and was a relatively short run which is why it is comparatively hard to find. It was superseded by the standard Unitoys orange snake figure and later the Apple transition Yoda and finally the Apple Yoda both found on the 41d cardbacks.

As you mention it has a paper made in Hong Kong tag inside the cloak itself. It can be found with and without this tag. The tag is very delicate and can often disintegrate, and I believe it is unknown if the cherry eyes always came with the tag, and if examples without have just disintegrated or whether they came like that from factory.

As to the other accessories it has an orange snake with sprue in mouth rather than gate on side which helps to distinguish it from the Smile Yoda. The cane is wider and more detailed than its Smile equivalent. The belt has holes on the inside of it and does not have the circular epms on the outside. The Kader belt has an epm on the lightsaber part and the Smile on the belt itself. The cloak is also different but these are harder to describe.

Here is mine below with correct accessories.

One final thing to note. Kader also made a Yoda with Hong Kong tag. This one is a cloth fabric rather than a paper tag.

Attachments

• 6F86F93A-53D6-4DDD-AF4D-6895126424A8.jpeg
    6F86F93A-53D6-4DDD-AF4D-6895126424A8.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,193

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Here are some shots taken from the Yoda group on Facebook run by Jon Meade. I'm sure he will be happy for me to post them here. If you are on FB it is worth joining and looking at the pinned posts in announcements as Jon's knowledge is incredible.

Attachments

• 5B11E7A5-0FC8-4818-986D-8D86B79FA709.jpeg
    5B11E7A5-0FC8-4818-986D-8D86B79FA709.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 85E45419-3DAC-4612-B25E-9B0871768D94.jpeg
    85E45419-3DAC-4612-B25E-9B0871768D94.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 3786D81E-D504-4532-BA15-EB1F3A294E42.jpeg
    3786D81E-D504-4532-BA15-EB1F3A294E42.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • C5B361A7-B5A0-475B-9A99-6C9D1B6313D9.jpeg
    C5B361A7-B5A0-475B-9A99-6C9D1B6313D9.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 1,184

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Very interesting info, Jay. In the interest of furthering my own knowledge and understanding therefore, am I correct in thinking that with my two light-greened skinned, orange snaked Yodas below (which may or may not have the correct accessories! I haven't checked them for sprue locations yet :-D), the one on the right is the cherry eyes Unitoys version, and the one on the left is the lighter eyes standard Unitoys version? If I am wrong, please could you advise which ones my two are? Thanks.

The Eyes Have It.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Hi Jeremy. Yes both figures you have there are produced by the Unitoy factory. You can tell they are from the same factory because of the hand and feet sculpt (though I'm not as good as Jon at identifying yodas from the toes). The one on the right is indeed a cherry and the one on the left the standard orange snake.

Jon could confirm if the accessories were correct just by looking at them. You would have to undress him for me to confirm though unfortunately. :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Hi Jeremy. Yes both figures you have there are produced by the Unitoy factory. You can tell they are from the same factory because of the hand and feet sculpt (though I'm not as good as Jon at identifying yodas from the toes). The one on the right is indeed a cherry and the one on the left the standard orange snake.

Jon could confirm if the accessories were correct just by looking at them. You would have to undress him for me to confirm though unfortunately. :wink:

Thanks, Jay. Every day's a school day in this hobby :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Be interested to know if yours has a tag Jeremy. Just be very careful when looking as some can just fall apart in your hands.

Right, I can finally answer your question! Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I simply didn't know the answer. However, I have finally had the time to open up the two cabinets containing those particular Yodas and strip them (something I absolutely hate doing as the cloaks have a tendency to stretch and rip over Yoda's hunchback if you're not careful, as you doubtless know yourself). The result? No tags in either. I can't see any evidence that there ever was a tag in either, but then again I don't know how completely the tags come out when removed / disintegrated, or if they were ever even there in the first place, or even if these cloaks are original to these particular figures (I haven't owned them from new, and back in the 90's when I bought them, I don't doubt shops would have happily paired up parts and pieces from different figures to make nice complete ones out of two incomplete ones if needed), so who can say?

Thanks.

LukeGroundLimper

Youngling
Well now I've got a total of 5 of them with slight variations. Some have a bigger nylon tag on the right side and there are some with a tough paper MIHK tag mostly on the left side and that tag is smaller and not as tall. I've got one that is going to go into my "Grail" collection because the left eye is the normal orange while the right eye is a cherry red!!! Don't even try and act like you wouldn't keep that one just like i am. I'd post pics but I don't know if it will show the difference well enough for you to see it but it is very obvious that they are the two different colors. I'll try to put some pics on if they will show up. I hope it does because that cool of a mix up to me is exactly the definition of a grail.
On another subject. does anyone have any of the Swarovski crystal Star Wars figures that are for sale? I want to get a full set of those to keep forever.

LukeGroundLimper

Youngling
I am truly sorry for the delay getting the pics but I have a rare genetic disorder and have been bed ridden unable to even walk and barely use my fingers so being online was the last thing I was capable of doing. As soon as I can take those amazing pics I promise to post them for you. Thanks for the patience and understanding. David

LukeGroundLimper

Youngling
Here are the pics I promised to show my amazing factory mistakes that caused such a beautiful outcome. I hope you all can see it and enjoy it as much as I do. The accessories are not shown so that their colors wouldn't cause any reflections that might affect how they are seen.
These are the best way I could get the pics to show how I have one Cherry eyed, MIHK tagged coat Yoda that has one Cherry eye and one orange eye. I put a full Cherry eye beside it on the cherry eyed side and an orange eyed figure on the side that has the single orange eye to make it easier to see that they truly do have the 2 different colored eyes on the Yoda in the middle. I will label the pics as I go so you will know what you are seeing because if the angle isn't perfect then the tiny difference in the colors is almost impossible to see because the colors are similar but obviously different if seen in good lighting in true life. I'm sorry if I said all that in a complicated way.

This is the picture showing all 3 with the 2 cherry Eyed Yoda on the left beside the 1 Cherry eye on the middle figure then the Yoda on the right is a 2 orange eyed version on the side of the middle Yodas single orange eye.
863E56CC-89A2-45DA-9EFD-646566665D12.jpeg

This pic shows the single Cherry eye beside a true double Cherry eye so you can see they are the same color.
5081F281-6404-4300-B0AE-AD3A636DF44A.jpeg

Lastly is the single orange eye side next to a true double Orange eye showing they are the same color I did with the other side.
3AE61FDB-1931-40A8-BE9F-A01786EF1C68.jpeg

I hope that the pics are good enough to show everyone such a small detail especially being colors since every single person differs in their ability to see variations in the color spectrum. I truly hope you think he is as fun as I do.

LukeGroundLimper

Youngling
You can see in the pics how hard it was to find him because one of the pics makes them appear the same color but the pics that show just the orange eyes and the ones that were only cherry show how distinct the colors actually are from each other which is hard to see without proper lighting which normally isn't available in normal room lighting. Whenever I have a person that refuses to understand about the lighting I simply point out every art museum in the world because they always have the lighting exactly perfect for every master piece they have and I always try to show them in the same way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom