Vintage Rebellion Episode 72 Launched

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
72face.jpg

https://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com/e/episode-72-i-am-the-law-bot/

Hot off the heels from Episode 71, comes Episode 72! Amazing isn't it.

Check out the 4D version from our Vintage Space Wizard Chris Porteous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxG3EmJhRF8

Andy Norton decides to have a go at a quiz this month to test the chops of recent 'Farthest From - Online' champions Richard Hutchinson and Andy Preston. It's an attempt at ITV's The Chase. With Mr. Preston being the Chaser. Can Jason, Peter & Richard beat him down?

The main interview is with Irish writer Michael Carroll, who runs the online blog 'Rusty Staples', which we touched upon in our Panini Licensee section a few months back. Rusty Staples covers every single mention and influence of Star Wars in British Comic 2000AD. Michael is a current writer of Judge Dredd and with Peter, reminisces about Star Wars, collecting and all things of an Irish influence back in the day.
https://michaelowencarroll.wordpress.com

We ask the question about certain scenes in the Original Trilogy which there are few, if any, collectables. Richard leaps onto Farthest From online, and certain Facebook groups in Rebel briefings whilst looking at the latest Vectis Auction. Can Richard win another R5 for his collection? Will Andy Norton just buy all the Action Man gear?

The Licensee section sees Peter tackling Cliro, where he gets all soapy with the lads. What can we make Jason buy this month? Thanks to Craig Stevens for supplying some amazing insight into this glorious brand.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Brilliant, looking forward to listening to this, so enjoyed the last one.😀

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for your work in getting these to us even in down time. Especially in down time.

Regarding the readalong 7" records, they did turn up here. A non collecting friend of mine has his childhood copies in his record collection. I was surprised to see such things as I only remember the red tapes made by Rainbow. He can't remember where he bought them though. Bah.

And I hope it was on the podcast I heard discussion about these. If not then ignore my irrelevance!

Palifan

Sith Lord
Fantastic podcast this month guys and my worlds really did collide with the interview as I'm a big 2000AD fan so it was great to hear Michael Carroll talk about his SW history. I heard him a week ago on the 2000AD podcast talking about his time in the comics industry so it was nice to see he also has a big interest in SW and I'm looking forward to looking through his blog on all of the adverts that appeared in the comic over the years.

The Cliro section was really interesting as well as I know very little about this side of collecting and it's always good learn something new.

Thanks as ever for putting this together and getting it out to us, it's always very much appreciated :D

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
chipsteak said:
Thanks for your work in getting these to us even in down time. Especially in down time.

Regarding the readalong 7" records, they did turn up here. A non collecting friend of mine has his childhood copies in his record collection. I was surprised to see such things as I only remember the red tapes made by Rainbow. He can't remember where he bought them though. Bah.

And I hope it was on the podcast I heard discussion about these. If not then ignore my irrelevance!

Thanks, and your podcast memory is good! I knew the ESB ones were sold here but didn't know the SW ones were

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Another good listen, fellas. Especially enjoyed the Cliro section, as I had both R2 and Darth bubble baths as a kid. I used the empty bottles as figures with my Action Men, although the Darth scaling was way off! R2 pretty on the money though. My childhood ones are long gone, but have managed to source nice loose examples for my childhood focus. I remember the packaging well, as I cut bits off the boxes and stuck them on my bedroom wall. Great memories!

Richard_H

Grand Master
chipsteak said:

Wow! I only thought the tapes made it over here too. Awesome stuff.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Fantastic podcast this month guys and my worlds really did collide with the interview as I'm a big 2000AD fan so it was great to hear Michael Carroll talk about his SW history. I heard him a week ago on the 2000AD podcast talking about his time in the comics industry so it was nice to see he also has a big interest in SW and I'm looking forward to looking through his blog on all of the adverts that appeared in the comic over the years.

The Cliro section was really interesting as well as I know very little about this side of collecting and it's always good learn something new.

Thanks as ever for putting this together and getting it out to us, it's always very much appreciated :D

Ian

Cheers Ian - 2000AD passed me by because, lets face it I wouldn't have been allowed a comic up in Gateshead as a kid!!!

Richard_H

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Another good listen, fellas. Especially enjoyed the Cliro section, as I had both R2 and Darth bubble baths as a kid. I used the empty bottles as figures with my Action Men, although the Darth scaling was way off! R2 pretty on the money though. My childhood ones are long gone, but have managed to source nice loose examples for my childhood focus. I remember the packaging well, as I cut bits off the boxes and stuck them on my bedroom wall. Great memories!

hahahaha brilliant. I definitely remember Mr Matey but no SW ones sadly.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Richard_H said:
Cazza said:

hahahaha brilliant. I definitely remember Mr Matey but no SW ones sadly.

Matey was the go-to bubble bath for 70's & 80's kids 8)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Cheers Ian - 2000AD passed me by because, lets face it I wouldn't have been allowed a comic up in Gateshead as a kid!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
Richard_H said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Hello Ian

Do you have a link for the 2000ad pod casts, still read it every Wednesday now :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
Palifan said:
Richard_H said:

Hello Ian

Do you have a link for the 2000ad pod casts, still read it every Wednesday now :)

Good man for still reading as I do and I always listen to it on soundcloud, there's the most recent ones in order after the first fe and you can DL the episodes from there - https://soundcloud.com/2000-ad

The Ben Wheatley one is a particular standout.

Ian

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
bosk70 said:
Palifan said:

Hello Ian

Good man for still reading as I do and I always listen to it on soundcloud, there's the most recent ones in order after the first fe and you can DL the episodes from there - https://soundcloud.com/2000-ad

Ian

Thanks Ian just finished reading vol4 issues 1-18 of the megazine it has a really good history of 2000ad story, spread over about 7 issues where they talk about problems with IPC , takeovers, move from ipc tower, problems with artists, the Maxwell takeover in house disagreements , I couldn't stop reading it , got the issues as a birthday present as I stopped buying the magazine in 2000 as it was to dear at the time now I find myself buying it back in lumps off e bay charity shops etc , all good fun,

Palifan

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
Palifan said:
bosk70 said:
Hello Ian

Ian

Thanks Ian just finished reading vol4 issues 1-18 of the megazine it has a really good history of 2000ad story, spread over about 7 issues where they talk about problems with IPC , takeovers, move from ipc tower, problems with artists, the Maxwell takeover in house disagreements , I couldn't stop reading it , got the issues as a birthday present as I stopped buying the magazine in 2000 as it was to dear at the time now I find myself buying it back in lumps off e bay charity shops etc , all good fun,

There has been a lot of information on the podcasts over the years about what you've mentioned and the 2000AD doc. Future Shock tells the whole history of the comic so is definitely worth a watch. I got back into reading the comic a couple of years back and fortunately still had a stack of the old comics at my parents that I've been working m,y way through. They progs are from around 600 onwards and this was a great period for characters and stories.

Ian

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
bosk70 said:
Palifan said:

Ian

There has been a lot of information on the podcasts over the years about what you've mentioned and the 2000AD doc. Future Shock tells the whole history of the comic so is definitely worth a watch. I got back into reading the comic a couple of years back and fortunately still had a stack of the old comics at my parents that I've been working m,y way through. They progs are from around 600 onwards and this was a great period for characters and stories.

Ian
During the lockdown and limited days on and off work I have started reading from prog 4 upwards i'm up to 148 at the moment and the thrill suckers haven't affected me yet , some of the early stories not often reprinted are so good , better stop or they will have to make a 2000ad thread section in off topic :lol: i do post the odd sw article when i find them, as i read, but think most of the adverts have been seen before, :)

Palifan

Sith Lord

Ian
[/quote]
During the lockdown and limited days on and off work I have started reading from prog 4 upwards i'm up to 148 at the moment and the thrill suckers haven't affected me yet , some of the early stories not often reprinted are so good , better stop or they will have to make a 2000ad thread section in off topic :lol: i do post the odd sw article when i find them, as i read, but think most of the adverts have been seen before, :)
[/quote]

Ok, last post about 2000AD from me as well :lol:

I do have the first 20 issues which I was surprised to see how violent some of the stories are and I had these comics from prog 1 growing up so I've no idea what I thought of it all back then ( I suspect I couldn't read it very well and was just happy to see some future action and spaceships).

I did get a bunch of the Quality US/UK reprints though that had many of the old stories in them and agree how good it was back in the day. It still does have it's moments today though but I normally find that there's the odd story that doesn't interest me so much where as during the 70's/80's it really was firing on all cylinders fairly consistently.

I can see why it's still around today and I have picked up a few of the graphic novels recently from characters I've never heard of like cabalistic inc which was a great read in that Hellboy sort of world.

Happy days! :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom