Palitoy 12 and 20 Back MOCs

Bossk

Padawan
How rare are theses MOCs?

VCJ goes without saying right. Ben and Power Droid in good condition also appear to be very difficult to find. Chewy and Luke always seem to fetch high prices also. Many of the others year by year get harder to find, but does anyone have any kind of stats regarding these MOCs? I'd love to know roughly how many MOCs (not reseals) of each of 1 to 20 are out there in existence?

Anyone got any thoughts, intell or stats to share please?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Quite a few around...

VCJ & Large Head Han are the rarest 12-bks. Power Droid is the rarest 20-bk, probably followed by DSD & R5.

No clue on numbers, but would be very interesting to find out! A pretty impossible task, I would think.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39276

I asked this question a while back.
I don't think you would get an accurate figure, as it depends if all collectors use the internet. As the previous collection from c&T were from a couple that didn't use the internet, old school- from toy fair's and conventions.
There are a few more 20 back set completed since that thread too.
Paul

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Bossk said:
How rare are theses MOCs?

VCJ goes without saying right. Ben and Power Droid in good condition also appear to be very difficult to find. Chewy and Luke always seem to fetch high prices also. Many of the others year by year get harder to find, but does anyone have any kind of stats regarding these MOCs? I'd love to know roughly how many MOCs (not reseals) of each of 1 to 20 are out there in existence?

Anyone got any thoughts, intell or stats to share please?

You mention Ben and Power Droid in good condition, what do you mean by good condition? I think an ungraded set is relatively easy to put together as Good Condition could literally mean anything however if you move into graded then good condition would translate into an 80 grade which will prove more difficult and more expensive.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
You mention Ben and Power Droid in good condition, what do you mean by good condition? I think an ungraded set is relatively easy to put together as Good Condition could literally mean anything however if you move into graded then good condition would translate into an 80 grade which will prove more difficult and more expensive.

Hi Anthony, which figure was the hardest to source for you in the 20 backs, and did you buy most of them graded to start with ?
Also I have found that the 20 backs are easier to find than 12 backs, probably due to the smaller number of them.?
Paul

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
welshwookie said:

Hi Anthony, which figure was the hardest to source for you in the 20 backs, and did you buy most of them graded to start with ?
Also I have found that the 20 backs are easier to find than 12 backs, probably due to the smaller number of them.?
Paul

Assuming you don't care which cardback it is A,B or C which most don't then the hardest 12 back by a long way is Ben. Power Droid is the hardest 20 back. The reason I highlighted the grade as being important is because some collectors describe ungraded pieces as good when they are clearly not which is misleading and inaccurate.I recently heard a collector refer to a ungraded piece he had as good, this piece had a huge crack in the bubble, so big that the weapon fell out. I bought the three 20 Back droids ungraded and the Snagg everything else was graded.

From what I have seen more recently I would still say a high grade Ben and Leia would be difficult, Ben being the most difficult and a high grade Power Droid and R5D4, Power Droid being the most difficult. I am not actively buying that stuff now so this is only what I have seen. It is important to remember that the majority of rare Palitoy MOC is sold privately so there will be no recorded sales.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Totally agree with that Anthony. Mind I have seen a few Power droids that have been acquired lately and they look really nice.
I was lucky getting all mine graded to begin with, which unfortunatley sets a standard that you like to keep to. We'll see I only need PD now so I'm in no rush. Hopefully find 1 that will fit in with the others .

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
welshwookie said:
Totally agree with that Anthony. Mind I have seen a few Power droids that have been acquired lately and they look really nice.
I was lucky getting all mine graded to begin with, which unfortunatley sets a standard that you like to keep to. We'll see I only need PD now so I'm in no rush. Hopefully find 1 that will fit in with the others .

A friend of mine just picked up a nice ungraded PD and then got it graded, it graded overall 85 with a 90 sub grade so there are some nice examples out there. Good luck with your search hopefully you will get one soon!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
As said earlier a rarity list can have a relatively short shelf life regarding order of rarity :!:
Not too long ago the 12 back Chewie was hands down considered the rarest non variant 12 back. I know collectors that bought entire sets just to get Chewbacca :!: Today Ben seems to have taken No 1 spot and b4 Chewbacca was Luke and Luke was considered toughest for many years.
Regarding 20s it's been PD all the way and I rem a serious collector telling me they were happy to pay £700 for an example back in the mid 90s which was big money back then when I was seeing the others at around the £125+ mark:!: What is interesting now is the huge gap that has developed between the droids and aliens :!: You can pay twice the money for a mint DSD or R5-D4 than u would for Greedo and indeed the others :!:
Will b interesting to c what unfolds in future :roll:

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
I can see the Jawa going up in price.
Certainly from sales on Facebook at the moment.
It doesn't seem much between him and leia, obviously condition and grading similarities.
I'm glad I bought mine years ago

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Jawa situation is just crazy for years it was respected as a v gettable 12 back-part of the "easy" 7 :!: I believe the last Jawa that sold on FB for big money was down to a combination of being in near mint condition graded AND being unpunched :!: Unpunched examples r v tough to find :!:

sith-smith

Grand Master
12 and 20 backs have been the main Palitoy card that people have been after for far longer than I have been collecting Palitoy.

This makes them possibly the easiest cards to give a reasonable idea of rarity (though easiest and reasonable are highly relative terms) as there are decades of wants lists, posts about rarity and sets being completed/sold from which to draw info.

One thing I would say is be wary of getting rarity and availability confused. They are not necessarily the same thing. Condition is not the same as rarity in general. Just because a figure at a certain grade may be difficult, doesn't mean the figure in general is.

Ignoring the VCJ and LHH...Luke, Chewie, Han, Leia and Ben have consistently been the toughest 12backs to find for as long as I remember. When I put my set together in 2001 it was back then considered impossible as all known lukes (around 15) were locked away in collections! In fact, I bought am entire collection.

Jawa is only recently become supposedly rare but I think the issue could be more about availability. Jawas were always 10 a penny it seemed. I went through dozens until I found the one that I finally wanted (a mint unpunched one). That was certainly not possible with the key 5 I mentioned above. For some reason they could be locked away in loads of collections.

However it is also possible that over the years more of all the other figures have shown up, but not so much the Jawa, so maybe even though there could be dozens and dozens of Jawas the others could have increased much more. We may know more in the future.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
All the FB 12 backs were beautiful examples. By the time we saw them all they had sold.
My Jawa is a C , I wouldn't call him rare , just at the moment there are not as many as B card. Until a unused box is discovered out there . :lol:
As another collector said, "nobody knows what is out there" and he is right.
As without the internet would we be aware of all these variations ?

Vernon

Jedi Knight
palitoyjunky said:
Jawa situation is just crazy for years it was respected as a v gettable 12 back-part of the "easy" 7 :!: I believe the last Jawa that sold on FB for big money was down to a combination of being in near mint condition graded AND being unpunched :!: Unpunched examples r v tough to find :!:

Completely agree. Started on my run in the mid 2000's. Never bought one as they always seemed to be available at the time. Certainly wish I had now!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Indeed. I went on a quest for the 12&20 run in 2009 and by summer 2009 I believe I had secured 9 of the 12 backs and at least half the 20 backs. I distinctly rem writing a cheque out to a friend in the hobby for £1900 and that was for a case fresh mint 12 back A card Leia, A card stormtrooper and B card Jawa. The Leia was £900 and the other two £500 a piece.
My run was complete by Dec 2010 securing all 20 mint plus a mint large head 12 back Han. Each figure was certainly not picked up in order of rarity, can't exactly remember the order but I do remember Luke A card being my 2nd pick up and large head Han coming a couple of months or so later via eBay.
I believe Chewy was picked up early 2010 and the last two I secured was small head Han & Ben in Dec. All the deemed toughies back then I got on A cards and the other significant A card Was the Stormtrooper. To this day I have not laid eyes on another which is v interesting :!:

Bossk

Padawan
.....mmmmm, interesting comment regarding the Stormtrooper. I have a sneaking suspicion that mine might be on a A back but would have to unbox and check. I am in part guessing but recall selling my other Stormtrooper around 3 years ago to buy others in the run and consciously thinking that was fine as it was on a B back anyway. I'll check and come back to you. Exciting! :lol:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Am always excited to hear of another A card Stormie :!: And the recent A card find of the DSC naturally puts that one right up there too :!:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
palitoyjunky said:
Am always excited to hear of another A card Stormie :!: And the recent A card find of the DSC naturally puts that one right up there too :!:

I didn't realise that Palitoy DSC had been found on an A card was that a cardback or a MOC?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom