Kim Simmons Volume 2 ESB 80-82

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Kim Simmons Volume 2 ESB 80-82

Post by Snaketibe »

lejackal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm
Yes, I hope so. I’ve highlighted this issue on his page and he has said he’s trying to find a way around it but I won’t hold my breath
Excellent work, Carl! This is definitely the right outcome for his book and the community.

Jeremy
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Well done troops
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

Sadly it appears that Kim/Justin essentially lied, which given they allegedly take new photos and pass them off as vintage to ensure they always have fresh content, shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I got one won’t be buying this book.
1CA20FA8-0E65-4605-8405-3CE9F092895B.jpeg
1CA20FA8-0E65-4605-8405-3CE9F092895B.jpeg (140.15 KiB) Viewed 667 times
660D7163-3C05-4E0D-AB5B-36C6830B082C.jpeg
660D7163-3C05-4E0D-AB5B-36C6830B082C.jpeg (149.97 KiB) Viewed 667 times
C3C76FE1-28DC-47DB-B34B-E9E4CA1AF079.jpeg
C3C76FE1-28DC-47DB-B34B-E9E4CA1AF079.jpeg (105.82 KiB) Viewed 667 times
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Wow that was some read. That’s a shame if true. Let’s hope they see sense still.
walkie
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by walkie »

I was just about to post those images Carl and there's zero chance i will now be helping fund the project.
Wanted: Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Meccano, Canadian Instruction Sheets, $$$ waiting!!

Visit My Vintage Paperwork Limelight Click Me!
The Glasslite Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me! & The Droids Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me!
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Palifan »

Well this is all turning out to be a complete mess and I was on the fence with this book due to the price it will cost to get it to the Uk but this had pretty much made my mind up to forget about it. I feel all the fun is getting taken away at this point and I'll make do with all the other vintage SW books I already have so it's really no big loss.

It's a shame that books of interest are costing so much now a days as it does force people into being very choosy.

Ian
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

I'm glad they are encouraging 'everyone to think for themselves'. For myself, I think they can forget about me buying this book, even if the price drops.

I've never previously considered myself to be part of the 'anti-repro orthodoxy' or a 'repro zealot', but I do consider myself to be someone who's sick to the back teeth of repro garbage polluting this hobby, making it harder and harder to obtain and identify genuine vintage items, especially weapons, just because some greedy unscrupulous little shits think it's a great idea to flood the market with fake items which are clearly designed to be as close to vintage originals as possible. If that makes me 'orthodox' or a 'zealot', then so be it. There are far worse things to be...
starwars00
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by starwars00 »

Been on the fence with this because of the price- however i won't be supporting it now for sure.
cracatilla
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by cracatilla »

Really enjoyed the first one but won't be getting this one because of these shenanigans.
Thanks to all involved for bringing this to everyone's attention
Thank The Maker!
jared007
Regular
Regular

Post by jared007 »

I believe the main issue with accepting that repro company donation was soley because of the pledge level they bought. It was the executive producer level which meant they would have their repro company logo prominently displayed on the back cover. This would of course buy them good promotion of their company and items that we all feel destroys and weakens our hobby. If the donation was accepted, then it would slant towards credence/acceptance from the vintage community through endorsement from this particular book.

For me, Kim did the right thing once he was alerted to who the company actually is and what they do. End result being they will not be having that executive level spot anymore.

If the people behind that company do love the hobby, and believe in the book then they can of course donate at any other pledge level without getting the publicity that was the basis of the original gripe. They may have already done this now and it would be perfectly fine in my view. It's just a regular civilian pledge to get the book committed.

Anyway, I've just checked the kickstarter this afternoon and looks like Kim is home and hosed. The target has been reached - the book will come out.

Cheers, Jared.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: https://www.starwarstracker.com
£1.49 FIGURES
New User
New User

Post by £1.49 FIGURES »

I see that Volume 3 has just been Kickstarted but I'm stunned at the price hike from the last Volume. I was a backer of Volume 2 for an unsigned copy and was charged $125 including postage to the UK - Volume 3's asking price for an unsigned copy BEFORE postage is a mammoth $225. Add the $50 being requested for international airmail and it bring the total to £201 at present. Wow! Granted there may be an extra 30 or so pages this time round but that is crazy money and it's such a shame as I expect that many, like me, not least because of this hellish pandemic and the resultant economic issues, are having to be really careful financially. The cynic in me wonders if this is one last hurrah as it's the third and final book in the series but having splashed out on the previous two volumes, I personally won't be able to manage the trilogy which is a shame since, like many of us here perhaps, it was JEDI and 1983 that really made the franchise for me in terms of the toys.
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 »

£1.49 FIGURES wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:41 pm
I see that Volume 3 has just been Kickstarted but I'm stunned at the price hike from the last Volume. I was a backer of Volume 2 for an unsigned copy and was charged $125 including postage to the UK - Volume 3's asking price for an unsigned copy BEFORE postage is a mammoth $225. Add the $50 being requested for international airmail and it bring the total to £201 at present. Wow! Granted there may be an extra 30 or so pages this time round but that is crazy money and it's such a shame as I expect that many, like me, not least because of this hellish pandemic and the resultant economic issues, are having to be really careful financially. The cynic in me wonders if this is one last hurrah as it's the third and final book in the series but having splashed out on the previous two volumes, I personally won't be able to manage the trilogy which is a shame since, like many of us here perhaps, it was JEDI and 1983 that really made the franchise for me in terms of the toys.
I too saw this this morning...unbelievable.
I did get Vol 1 as we had a group buy which brought the postage to a sensible price, but didn’t buy Vol 2 (the one that I would have liked the most) due the the cost of postage, I certainly won’t be getting this one at that cost.
As you say the cynic in me suspects that we have a cash grab going on here....but wasn’t there talk initially of 7 volumes?
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

I won't be buying this and didn't buy the second book either, which is a shame as I own and like the first one. The most I will pay for a brand new book is £50, anything more than that is just price gouging, unless they can really justify it with a huge amount of pages or special materials etc. The first volume has great photos but is poorly written, badly designed and pretty basic in terms of finish, £50 was the absolute maximum that was worth IMO.
starwars00
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by starwars00 »

Yep it is a crazy price. I have the first 2, and wanted to complete the set - doesn't look like that is going to happen now which is a shame as some of the box art in jedi is great.
Also worth remembering is that we we all probably get stung on custom fees on top of the $275 for the book and shipping.
As I'm a bit of a completist I'm even considering selling the first 2 copies if i can't have the set.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

starwars00 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:48 pm
I have the first 2, and wanted to complete the set
that's why it's a crazy price.