Y-Wing box restoration - before and after!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Re: Y-Wing box restoration - before and after!

Post by edd_jedi »

Looks great. It's a touchy subject with collectors, many are against restoring using techniques like ink touch ups, however looking at the original state of it I don't think anybody could argue you haven't saved it.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Yes agreed, ink touch up on MOC's is a pet hate for me. However this is a great job, done perfectly.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Redward
New User
New User

Post by Redward »

@Cazza you can pick up card at a local hobby / craft shop otherwise I found the panels from packing boxes from John Lewis were plain brown 2 to 2.5mm and colour blended nicely. You need to make sure when you're cutting that you allow for a) the folds of the box once refolded (I left a 2mm gap either side and b) you cut them short so that the side flaps insert in again onto the original card not the new card as that will push them up and is visible when you put the flaps back in.

Don't forget to cut the new card thinner on the long side where the box is glued back together so accommodate the original flap.

A decent wood glue works well on cardboard, just get some wood and weights / food tins to distribute weight evenly and produce a nice flat finish. Do this step well and it helps smooth out any residual wrinkles even more.

If you need to, depending on the condition of the box, you can effectively add new card panels to each side of the box. This really helps the display after.

Recommend ironing the flat box between two sheets / towels etc after cleaning to flatten out, before adding new card. No steam and medium heat. Make sure you've cleaned off sellotape residue otherwise will stick to cloth.
* looking for Yak Face, Ev-9D9, Blue Snaggletooth *

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

Amazing- thanks!
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

2stripes
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by 2stripes »

theforceuk wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:07 pm
Yes agreed, ink touch up on MOC's is a pet hate for me. However this is a great job, done perfectly.
The MOC I received today has a slight bit of touch up, so no grading, but I'm not too fussed and didn't call the seller out for not mentioning it . When you see what can be achieved with the Y Wing box.. I don't think anyone could argue it would be better off falling to pieces, but it does need to be in the right hands. I'd be really tempted to learn some of the techniques, I'd find it totally absorbing to put in those sort of hours to get those results.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

2stripes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm
theforceuk wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:07 pm
The MOC I received today has a slight bit of touch up, so no grading, but I'm not too fussed and didn't call the seller out for not mentioning it . When you see what can be achieved with the Y Wing box.. I don't think anyone could argue it would be better off falling to pieces, but it does need to be in the right hands. I'd be really tempted to learn some of the techniques, I'd find it totally absorbing to put in those sort of hours to get those results.
Yes people buy and sell MOC without even knowing they have ink touch up. I don't really have a problem with that, I do have a problem with selllers selling MOC as AFA/UKG ready and they have ink touch up. Thats the thing with restoration, it needs to be done correctly and sold as restored. You have certainly got the talent and patience to do more by the looks of things.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by poncho »

Looks great 👌

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Post by MightyMike »

What did you use to clean the cardboard?

Think some of my boxes would appreciate a decent clean but would be worried about getting it too wet or using something that would be abrasive or destructive.

Think I will leave the touch up part though, I've only got the kids crayons and to be honest my colouring in isn't much better than theirs