Sith Lord
Me and my mate 1990/91.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_170252.jpg
    IMG_20200623_170252.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,402

spoons

Grand Master
Great photo but you make me feel old! 1991 I was buying SW again as a collector :shock: :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Very cool, love the visors as well. :lol:

I think my mom might have bought them for us on one of our family holidays, they were awesome! :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Sorry for making everyone feel old haha! :lol:

I think I lived through a pretty unique perspective in terms of vintage SW toys, to me they were very much a mainstream popular thing right up to about the same time this photo was taken I think, even a couple of my friends had them and actively played with them, and my parents still bought them for us from shops up till around 1990.

I was completely unaware of any kind of collector market and had no clue if people out there lost interest in them or not, it was only when it got to around 1996/97 did I start realising they were collectable & valuable pieces and not just toys, from hearing about it from friends I think and then starting to hear talk about vintage toys from different places after the special edition trilogy was released. The first time I became a collector was in 2002 when I realised some shops actually sell them.

So in a weird way I experienced all the same timeline of events as you guys did only it was delayed by at least a decade.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
It's basically the only one out of my entire family's photo collection that shows any vintage SW toys, it's me and one of my best mates at the time playing in my back garden. That's me on the right, and no that isn't me using my little brother as a Rancor because we couldn't afford one, he's just acting like a monster for some reason. :lol:

I think this was about 1990/91, and it was the exact day when my mate ( pictured ) famously bust a leg on the AT-AT and was forever hated by my older brother ( he still mentions it even today ). :? :lol:

Thought I'd share it. :)

IMG_20200623_170252.jpg

Cool picture from your childhood :wink: and fantastic that you have pictures from your childhood with star wars toy, all the toy that is on my pictures from my childhood is lego :lol:

Maybe disney can use your little brother in the next star wars movie as a Rancor :lol: and maybe you should help your older brother and buy him a AT-AT leg so he will not mention it anymore :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
subzero spoons Pomse2001 peekaygee73

Guys I have deleted a handful of posts here as the thread went well off topic, even for this place, and into the messy world of what is and isn't racism.
I'm not making any comment on who was "right" or "wrong" and none of you are in trouble (as if this was school lol) I'm merely trying to keep this thread on topic and stop any arguments before they develop. I think that's what us Mods are supposed to do. Lol

If you do want to continue your discussion, I would suggest PM's are the way to go.

subzero

Sith Lord
weasel said:
@subzero @spoons @Pomse2001 @peekaygee73

Guys I have deleted a handful of posts here as the thread went well off topic, even for this place, and into the messy world of what is and isn't racism.
I'm not making any comment on who was "right" or "wrong" and none of you are in trouble (as if this was school lol) I'm merely trying to keep this thread on topic and stop any arguments before they develop. I think that's what us Mods are supposed to do. Lol

If you do want to continue your discussion, I would suggest PM's are the way to go.

Thank you.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
subzero said:
weasel said:

Thank you.

You should be able to repost your initial comments in the OP. If not let me know what you want in it and I will put It back in for you and delete this post.

subzero

Sith Lord
weasel said:
subzero said:
weasel said:

Thank you.

You should be able to repost your initial comments in the OP. If not let me know what you want in it and I will put It back in for you and delete this post.

Thanks, it's okay I'll just add in a basic comment just to keep the photo here. Cheers.

spoons

Grand Master
weasel said:

Inappropriate quote removed - edd_jedi

A shame Weasel but not particularly surprising. After a long association with SWFUK I think I'm done. Would have hoped that your attitudes might have changed over the years too.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry guys I must admit after being alerted to the direction this thread was going in I was out with my boys and only took a quick glance without reading the full thread, and I advised the mods to "clean it up." By that I was in no way condoning any racism, and I hope you all know it's not something I or the forum will tolerate (hence why some comments were removed.)

As per the forum rules (of which there aren't many) I/we will always deal with hateful posts of any kind. I can assure everyone that the forum, the moderators, or any of the members I know personally do not approve of such posts. I apologise if any of the now deleted comments, or the way it was dealt with, has offended anybody.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
spoons said:
weasel said:

A shame Weasel but not particularly surprising. After a long association with SWFUK I think I'm done. Would have hoped that your attitudes might have changed over the years too.

Pm sent regarding the moderating.

As far as that "joke" goes, it's not a word I have ever used in real life, but I should not have included it in the "joke" when I reposted it. It was 11 yrs ago, but it was not my finest hour. I hold my hands up to that and apologise to anyone offended by it. We all make mistakes and that is one of mine.

To avoid this thread going off on another tangent, and as Edd has commented now too, can we keep all future comments to the picture in question please. Spoons and I will discuss this via PM. If anyone else wants to abuse me for my joke, PM is the way to do it.

Edit, as Edd has now removed the original quote I would just like to point out, for anyone who missed it, that the inappropriate word used was not the "N" word. I'm a spanner but not that much of a spanner.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I have also now removed that 'joke' thread which contained several inapproproate posts. As Weasel says it was 11 years ago and with over half a million posts on this forum I obviously can't read or remember all of them, but please be rest assured that any hateful posts brought to our attention will be dealt with (even after a decade!)

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
spoons said:
After a long association with SWFUK I think I'm done. Would have hoped that your attitudes might have changed over the years too.

This would be a big loss to us here Andy, I do hope you'll reconsider.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Clarkspie&chips said:
spoons said:
After a long association with SWFUK I think I'm done. Would have hoped that your attitudes might have changed over the years too.

This would be a big loss to us here Andy, I do hope you'll reconsider.

Seconded!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom