Star Wars UK Weekly's

finestcomics

Padawan
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for some time, wasn't sure if this was still an active forum, and will likely be cross-posting this in the Echo UK FB group on the off-chance some long-time members have migrated there.

I have been trying to figure out the origin and context of some art that has begun appearing online. I have had a number of people examine the art and some do believe there might well be a connection to Marvel UK, while others are confused by it to put it mildly.

More recently however I have become concerned that the timing of these pieces showing up in the space of the last few months might be relating to less noble pursuits, and I do have a few gents who have volunteered to help me track down some hopefully helpful info from the Marvel UK side to arrive at a measured and accurate understanding of origin and context.

As the membership here are primarily from the UK, and the Star Wars Weekly's seemingly ran regular contests when the serial was in circulation, I wondered if anyone here might remember a "drawing" or "art" competition or contest for readers, involving this particular art seen below, or possibly one asking readers to submit their own attempt at drawing their favourite "Might Marvel/Star Wars Pin-up."

The pin-up below originally used the source from Marvel Special Edition Star Wars #2's rear cover art (1978), and was then reprinted for a Mighty Marvel Pin-up in Star Wars weekly #104 (1980). So while the original art dates from 1978, and wasn't reprinted in Marvel UK until 1980, I simply want to mention that this contest may have run from earlier than it's appearance in issue #104.

UPDATE: I have recently learned that the image was also used for Star Wars Weekly #19 as the final page and/or the inside page of the rear wrap.

UK-Weekly-Mighty-Marvel-Pin-up.jpg

It would be extremely helpful if anyone does recall something, and also had the original contest/competition write-up and could post a photo or scan.

I know it's a longshot, but I also know there have been past posts on the UK Weekly's and they seemed to have some following by members here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for some time, wasn't sure if this was still an active forum, and will likely be cross-posting this in the Echo UK FB group on the off-chance some long-time members have migrated there.

I have been trying to figure out the origin and context of some art that has begun appearing online. I have had a number of people examine the art and some do believe there might well be a connection to Marvel UK, while others are confused by it to put it mildly.

More recently however I have become concerned that the timing of these pieces showing up in the space of the last few months might be relating to less noble pursuits, and I do have a few gents who have volunteered to help me track down some hopefully helpful info n the Marvel UK side to arrive at a measured and accurate understanding of origin and context.

As the membership here are primarily from the UK, and the Star Wars Weekly's seemingly ran regular contests when the serial was in circulation, I wondered if anyone here might remember a competition or contest involving this particular art seen below, which was reprinted for a Mighty Marvel Pin-up in Star Wars weekly #104. Of course the original art dates from 1978, but wasn't reprinted in Marvel UK until 1980 - I simply want to mention that this contest may have run from earlier than it's appearance in issue #104.

UK-Weekly-Mighty-Marvel-Pin-up.jpg

It would be extremely helpful if anyone does recall something, and also had the original contest/competition write-up and could post a photo or scan.

I know it's a longshot, but I also know there have been past posts on the UK Weekly's and they seemed to have some following by members here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The forum is very active :D

Sorry that I can't help, but the art looks fantastic and looks like marvel. I collect Star Wars UK Weekly and have them all except a few special numbers. But I am not from the uk, maybe some other members from the uk can help you on the forum :wink:

finestcomics

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:

Sorry that I can't help, but the art looks fantastic and looks like marvel. I collect Star Wars UK Weekly and have them all except a few special numbers. But I am not from the uk, maybe some other members from the uk can help you on the forum :wink:

No worries, and thanks for the confirmation that it's still active. :D

I've just learned that the art above was also used in Star Wars Weekly #19 as the final page or inside back cover of the issue:

infantino-weekly-19-pin-up.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Pomse2001 said:

No worries, and thanks for the confirmation that it's still active. :D

I've just learned that the art above was also used in Star Wars Weekly #19 as the final page or inside back cover of the issue:

infantino-weekly-19-pin-up.jpg

Thanks for the info mate :D looks like it goes back to the beginning since you found it in no. 19 :shock:

finestcomics

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks for the info mate :D looks like it goes back to the beginning since you found it in no. 19 :shock:

Thanks again, I will give this a little endeavour more time in hopes something turns up, or we can at least say we've exhausted the search and nothing exists that proves a competition or contest of any kind occurred.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks again, I will give this a little endeavour more time in hopes something turns up, or we can at least say we've exhausted the search and nothing exists that proves a competition or contest of any kind occurred.

Sounds like a good idea, sometimes it can take some time to get the info that we want, I would say it can take years :(

finestcomics

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:
Sounds like a good idea, sometimes it can take some time to get the info that we want, I would say it can take years :(

I realize this, and that's a great point.

What's lit the fire so to speak is the appearance of a listing for art with dubious claims. I'm being purposely vague, and the hope was to give this a fair amount of time to rule out any explanation that a contest caused some of these works to be created.

The listing is for over 20 days, so I have a little more time than normal, and that's what caused me to do this with the time constraints I normally wouldn't want to be put under to properly investigate.

If I do decide to pursue this further, I will have a proper thread explaining this all in due time.

Thanks again!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Pomse2001 said:

I realize this, and that's a great point.

What's lit the fire so to speak is the appearance of a listing for art with dubious claims. I'm being purposely vague, and the hope was to give this a fair amount of time to rule out any explanation that a contest caused some of these works to be created.

The listing is for over 20 days, so I have a little more time than normal, and that's what caused me to do this with the time constraints I normally wouldn't want to be put under to properly investigate.

If I do decide to pursue this further, I will have a proper thread explaining this all in due time.

Thanks again!

Well I have searched in 19 years now about info when was the first star wars toy sold in denmark where I live, which toy store was the first that sold star wars in denmark and was the first r2-d2 and the first c-3po figure sold in denmark. And I still do not know it for sure, yet. But the hunt goes on :lol:

Maybe this link can give you some info about some members that you can ask, maybe they know more :wink: https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41078 members that have writen to comic fan club maybe know more :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom