Interesting news article about Elvis memorabilia

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
This article is a few years old now, but I just came across it and thought it might interest some of you. I have seen many people say that the wave of price rises will only last as long as the generation who saw the films. I have also seen some well respected collectors claim Star Wars toys will only ever go up in value, and it's impossible they will drop. Nobody can predict the future, but this is an interesting comparison:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/may/07/elvis-presley-memorabilia-plummeting-in-price

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Very interesting read, but I still think with Star Wars being relevant with there new shows on Disney channel there will be a new generation of fans. But who knows with collectibles at the moment though some of the items I have been after have really risen in value just look on eBay silly money

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've felt that this will be the case for sometime now.
There has to be a peak for any collectable, just look at Die cast and trains, that market has shrunk from what it was 20 years ago.
This is why the old saying "don't collect to get rich" is so important and of course the cynic may also say "read the market and get out at the tight time". :wink: :roll:
Before everyone starts dumping their collection, :? I don't believe that Vintage Star Wars will dip for a while, but has anyone noticed the steady rise in collectors of POTF2 and hence a rise in prices, perhaps a small but important shift is taking place?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Interesting read

Again, with SW for me it's not the value of the collection it's the fact I collect for me so not as an investment. I'm sure the Elvis fans that collected did so for the same reasons, they were fans in the main and kept the collection as a reminder of their youth and for nostalgic reasons.
I do think with SW, the Disney element and Dads like me encouraging their kids ( and in my case my Grandson as well :D ) to watch the original films and watch the new stuff SW will always be relevant and collectible.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
I've felt that this will be the case for sometime now.
There has to be a peak for any collectable, just look at Die cast and trains, that market has shrunk from what it was 20 years ago.
This is why the old saying "don't collect to get rich" is so important and of course the cynic may also say "read the market and get out at the tight time". :wink: :roll:
Before everyone starts dumping their collection, :? I don't believe that Vintage Star Wars will dip for a while, but has anyone noticed the steady rise in collectors of POTF2 and hence a rise in prices, perhaps a small but important shift is taking place?

This is essentially my view as well. I think a peak for Vintage collecting will be reached at some point, as whilst Star Wars itself will remain popular for a very long time to come, the real draw of Vintage for most (but not all!) collectors of it is nostalgia from their childhoods. I owned the toys as a boy, I loved Star Wars then, I love Star Wars now, and I want to own the toys now too! However, I also loved 'Blake's 7' as a boy (I was young :lol: ), but never owned any collectibles (if there even were any; there must have been some annuals at least, surely?). The point is, whilst these days I consider 'Blake's 7' to be one up from 'Crossroads', even things I still like from my childhood, but which I didn't own the toys or merchandise from, hold little to no pull for me as an adult, and certainly nothing comes close to rivalling Vintage in my affections.

And so as our generation ages and starts sadly passing away, I can certainly see prices of Vintage dropping, as the demand will simply not be replenished at the same rate it departs. There will always be some new collectors joining the ranks, but when the number 'leaving' the hobby exceeds those new collectors, the decline sets in, just like with the merch from The King of Rock and Roll.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
There are some parallels here, they're both pop culture icons for sure. Trouble is when Elvis died, a large part of his appeal died too, meaning only fans who can relate to that era are largely driving any market for collectibles - the true collectors pieces anyway.

Star Wars is a different animal - there is now a continued force driving it's brand, new material, new fans, developing a broader appeal across many genres. I've always felt that 'historical' items such as scripts, props, cast and crew items, posters etc...will be a wise investment, if that's what you're looking for. But toys and memorablia is a bit more hit and miss.

As some have already mentioned, collect because you love the items, and that is 100% true, you'll always get your moneys worth that way ;)

Bob_Acid

Padawan
It's the same with cars, as newer cars move into the classic bracket and increase in value, older cars start to drop in value as the people that were most interested in them pass on.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
This is essentially my view as well. I think a peak for Vintage collecting will be reached at some point, as whilst Star Wars itself will remain popular for a very long time to come, the real draw of Vintage for most (but not all!) collectors of it is nostalgia from their childhoods. I owned the toys as a boy, I loved Star Wars then, I love Star Wars now, and I want to own the toys now too! However, I also loved 'Blake's 7' as a boy (I was young :lol: ), but never owned any collectibles (if there even were any; there must have been some annuals at least, surely?). The point is, whilst these days I consider 'Blake's 7' to be one up from 'Crossroads', even things I still like from my childhood, but which I didn't own the toys or merchandise from, hold little to no pull for me as an adult, and certainly nothing comes close to rivalling Vintage in my affections.

And so as our generation ages and starts sadly passing away, I can certainly see prices of Vintage dropping, as the demand will simply not be replenished at the same rate it departs. There will always be some new collectors joining the ranks, but when the number 'leaving' the hobby exceeds those new collectors, the decline sets in, just like with the merch from The King of Rock and Roll.
[/quote]

No dissing Blakes 7 here :lol: :lol: I still watch it now quite regularly on you tube its still the tops, but I am quite mad and I have the annuals and corgi liberator from when I was a kid. :D As a 7 year old I did like Jenna and Cally , must have been the 70.s leather / pvc :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
bosk70 said:
No dissing Blakes 7 here :lol: :lol: I still watch it now quite regularly on you tube its still the tops, but I am quite mad and I have the annuals and corgi liberator from when I was a kid. :D As a 7 year old I did like Jenna and Cally , must have been the 70.s leather / pvc :lol:

:lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom