When is a beater not a beater?

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I collect astromechs, both vintage and modern. I recently stumbled on a vintage droid factory R2 that I bought as part of a collection of new and old stuff.

Obviously this was a pleasant surprise, but it's not mint condition. In fact, the decals have either been replaced or coloured over (or both) and the head has had a new paint job too.

I suppose if this was a 'custom' sensorscope R2 it would be considered close to worthless, but this got me wondering: when does a collector decide that the relative rarity of an item overcomes the desire to have a pretty/good condition version of said item?

And, because I already know the answer is 'it depends', why not throw out a story of a beater in your collection that's actually a diamond in the rough?

And finally, how much does the horrendous customisation that's been done to it affect the value of this particular figure?

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_191215419.jpg
    IMG_20201011_191215419.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20201011_191248480.jpg
    IMG_20201011_191248480.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 534

r5-d4cus

Padawan
Maybe the subject should have said when is a custom repro not a custom repro 😁

Your loose red bar R5 has a pair of glasses drawn on it, is that ok? How about a painted purple head? Is there a line to be drawn?

x-pack

Grand Master
Beaters are always going to be cheap which makes them great for beginner collectors, especially now. I have what I would consider to be a beat up ESB darth Vader MOC. It's borderline though. Fully sealed but the card just looks like it hasn't been stored well. Some might consider it a beater, some a MOC. Fine line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom