Slave 1 box restoration

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've got this Jedi Slave 1 box I've had for a long while. I bought it on eBay with a mint unused Slave 1 in it with instructions and unused decal sheet (which is on display loose). I can't remember the story, I think it was a loft find, I paid bugger all for it. Anyway, one side and end of it are in pretty good condition (first couple of photos) and I've had it on display from that side. The other side and end are quite badly damaged (last few photos), all crumpled and bent, looks like water damage. I've had a look at some previous box restoration threads this morning and it's given me a good idea of some techniques. Just hoping someone with experience of doing it could give me some advice on this particular box. I should prob say that I don't want to glue any cardboard to it if possible or put any black ink or pen on it. I don't mind the edgewear, I just want to straighten the cardboard and make it square and flat.

69B1A4FA-CE78-424E-82C5-87C4180F431C.jpeg

2760EA6C-9560-4C82-8ACA-90010E8FF95D.jpeg

A6388212-7D3C-4495-BA3E-0D0072D93F97.jpeg

64A54991-D9BA-4EF9-9802-96E4DD6783E5.jpeg

03112B37-5ED8-4150-BF67-853BA78CDDFE.jpeg

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi mate

That looks really nice on the one side, if you really want to do the other side it's about getting that side and edge flat and how far you want to go.
You can open the box up to its complete flat position and iron and starch it taking a lot of care and a warm iron and a fine cotton tea towel but it's a bit nerve racking ! Then put the box back together

( I had some polystyrene packing as at the time we had a new washing machine delivered ) packed it with that until the starchhing dried out.

If you don't want to pull the box flat to do this you can fandangle the box onto the end of an ironing board ( just tell the Mrs your helping out with the ironing :lol: ) then you use the same starch and ironing method on the areas you need to once flat any litho coming away a tiny bit of paper glue sponged on the back of the litho ( don't do a lot and just waft it over the litho) if you do it direct to the cardboard box it tends to soak and not do a good job ( don't use superglue! It just hardens patches)

Hope this helps a bit it's all about softly softly and patience!

:lol: disclaimer - if it all goes to hell in a hand cart - this is only advice don't blame me!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Cheers Mike. Yeah I was thinking about putting it over a piece of wood or something square shaped, then introducing a little moisture to make the cardboard pliable and then either an iron or other flat surface to carefully squash it flat. The bent parts are very dry and brittle and I worry it will just break if I try to reshape or flatten it as it is. I don't think you want to make it too wet though or it could just tear apart. It's a tricky one. I'm not fussed about the finish or appearance I just want it straight. The good news is nothing appears to be missing or torn off. Thanks for the tips.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Lover the Jedi Slave 1 box, will be interesting to see the end result.

No pressure! lol

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Sometimes i think it is best to ease the main long join apart when its in the state its in, get the box flat and then you can use all the usual methods, i have had a lot of success in the past with just tea towel an iron and after its as best as you can get it , pritt stick glue on the up lifted parts, never tried the support tape inside that I've seen people use don't think i would want to add material where it wasn't originally , good luck post end result picks :) I've used pritt stick type glue before and never noticed any issues with it, i have thinly spread it into the harder to reach places with a scalpel blade doing bits at a time letting it dry then doing some more.

disclaimer - as above but its all about the fun of trying and seeing the end result :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If the contents are unused, honestly I would replace the box. You should be able to pick up a nice condition used Slave 1 or even empty box easily enough. The unused contents are the valuable bit here, so having them in a restored box is not going to appeal to most collectors. If you bought a nice used one, you could pair up the used ship with your restored box.

EDIT: I'm not saying this box deserves to be thrown away, and isn't worthy of being in a collection. It would be great to see it restored and on display. I just think an unused vehicle deserves a better box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom