Anyone else having a vintage drought?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Anyone else having a vintage drought?

Post by Palifan »

I think I've only picked up maybe one vintage loose figure this year and a couple of modern SW items. It's been more about selling for me this year and letting go of doubles I have ect. I think my vintage SW days are pretty much over now as I have everything I set out to get more or less. I still enjoy being part of this forum though very much and now live my vintage SW life through others on here who pick up great items all of the time (Even though it's been over 40 years of these vintage toys there are still new things to discover each year!).

I have moved more into vintage monster collecting so that has kept me busy and this year has been a bumper year for it. It's not as expensive as the top end of SW collecting but some items can still cost a lot so I've kept things within my price range and it's been nice to research a different area of toy collecting. Again I'm starting to feel that I'm pretty close to acquiring all that I've been after but there are always new discoveries to find much like SW.

I think it's safe to say that I'll always have the collecting bug, but I've found that changing my direction and focus at times has been a way of keeping me interested and also not getting too bothered when the price of certain toy lines gets to steep. Our collections are for us to enjoy so we shouldn't be looking at items and feeling any sort of regret at the price we've ended up paying, it's just not worth it for me.

Ian
_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by _Lee_ »

Agree with a lot of what is being posted. I've been out of vintage for a while now ,but still collect props and busts to do with SW. I also have a liking of the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and the guy in the photo below has taken me up to a year to perfect.

I still dont have Facebook and never will. I havent ever felt the urge to sign up and from what I'm hearing it is nothing but poison to the hobby. It's a real shame how quiet message boards and forums have become desolate for the most part. Facebook appears to be nothing more than a dick swinging contest for the most part, and there tend to be too many people with deep pockets giving it large. I feel as though a lot of collectors now collect as a competition and the true meaning of the hobby is slowly disappearing and fading away. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s the hobby was flourishing and collectors were used to helping each other, now it's nothing more than an overpriced, inflated joke because some of the so called 'big hitters'are ruining the market.

I have a friend who has purchased some of the Stan Solo reproductions as to put it bluntly, he cannot afford it never will. I blame this solely on the idiots gazumping prices and making the hobby inaccessible for many people. Repros are becoming more and more popular now, but I myself feel as though it is becoming more mainstream for the cost reasons alone. I do see why some people buy these repros and understand their take on it fully. They are getting so good that placing them to a real vintage MOC makes them look nearly identical, therefore giving people a cheaper avenue to explore. Let's face it ,spend £1000 on a real MOC or spend £40 on a repro. To many people now it's a no brainer. Plus with Hasbro releasing the reproduction figures (although licnenced) they havent helped things much because that is another area where people can be scammed.

Anyway, I hope all you guys are well :)

Lee
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Bloody hell that is freaky, but good!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

I have not bought much star wars in 2020, but I hope 2021 will be better :D
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by peekaygee73 »

I was pretty sure I hadn't purchased anything this year but when I looked at my spreadsheet I was shocked to see it was April 2019 when I last made a purchase. I think this year hasn't helped - in addition to all that's been going on I've been dealing with extra responsibilities at work and a house move - but that's not the most significant factor.

There are still items I'd like to add to my collection but, as with other people, it's the prices these days that are putting me off. For example, I'd love a Vader's Star Destroyer playset (yeah I know it's nothing great but I had one as a kid and loved it) but average condition complete-in-box examples seem to be £200+ these days which just seems nuts... Maybe I'm losing the plot but it doesn't seem that long ago they were sub-£100. Even finding bargains on eBay seems to be more difficult, though that could in part be due to me not having enough time to look for them. I'm also on a couple of the facebook groups but don't keep on top of them; that said I rarely see anything I'd want to purchase anyway.

The flipside of this is it's giving me more opportunity to enjoy the things I do have. Packing stuff up for the house move took longer than expected as I got distracted looking through my collection. I'm now looking forward to being able to display some of the things I hadn't previously been able to display.
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Darth Bobby »

i have bought very little this year. As people have said it doesn't seem right blowing loads of cash when you don't know what the future will bring. Collecting has always been my escape and this year I just haven't been in the mood. When I do make purchases it's usually at the shows as I like to see what I'm buying, but the lack of FF and Echo have taken the fun out of it. I've always liked going to the shows and seeing everyone, viewing what's on sale, striking a deal and walking around with my purchase talking to the others. If I buy something off ebay it just goes on the shelf and I hardly look at it. I much prefer the walking around selecting an item rather than angrily bidding against a stranger online.
There's no denying that the crazy prices have soured it a bit also. I got back into collecting at the start of 2015 so still consider myself a newish collector but looking at todays ridiculous prices it makes me yearn for the good old days. The prices on Facebook are too rich for my blood and by the time I see an item 16 other people have claimed it!
I'm really optimistic for 2021. I think if we can just get through the next few months the back end of next year will be great. People will be well up for getting out there and the shows will be brilliant. Roll on Autumn Echo and Christmas FF 2021! Seems a long way off but after this year we all need something to aim for. You never know the prices might even drop?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cazza
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Cazza »

After a very busy start to 2020, I have really slowed down in the last few months. This is mainly due to being pretty much there with my collection and the remaining pieces I need are proving difficult to find (Pali 12-bk Vader reseal, Dengar mailer, The Force Lightsaber, Death Star canopy etc). I'm happy to wait it out for these, although I haven't been looking much, to be honest, as work has been all-consuming :(
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs
benny100
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by benny100 »

I just think after completing my loose run about 6 years ago I’ve been on a steady decline year on year.
There’s nothing like opening a parcel and handling a loose figure, perhaps one youve not held for many years before.
Went big into mocs and managed to get most before prices went stupid but with only 3 of those for a full run it will be a once or twice yearly purchase, perhaps only upgrades.
I love looking at peoples variants and cardback variation runs etc but have no desire to do that myself.
In an ideal world I’ll leave the fb groups after my Moc run is done and just get back to enjoying the forum more often.
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

Palifan wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:41 am
Our collections are for us to enjoy so we shouldn't be looking at items and feeling any sort of regret at the price we've ended up paying, it's just not worth it for me.

Ian
I do this all the time and believe me it’s not great, so if you can I would take Ian’s advice, unfortunately for me this doesn’t work as if I don’t buy something I feel equally as bad as I have missed out on something I may never get the opportunity to buy or own again.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by poncho »

I've bought nothing this year the odd loose figure that's it. I lost the bug a couple of years back. Theres too much starwars content these days which is good thing for most. but its diluted my taste for the franchise in general the modern retro also left a bad taste in my mouth they should of left the old scuplts alone.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Not so good for me on the collecting front! Had to sell up most of my collection to help fund house move last year, and uncertainty with employment meant I had to sell off the rest!

I am planning to rebuild a loose collection, average condition , but still can't quite bring myself to pay the prices. I will collect next year, but go slow and steady, although I am probably not going to bother with accessories to make it more affordable.
Crumm
Regular
Regular

Post by Crumm »

jayums wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:53 am
Not so good for me on the collecting front! Had to sell up most of my collection to help fund house move last year, and uncertainty with employment meant I had to sell off the rest!

I am planning to rebuild a loose collection, average condition , but still can't quite bring myself to pay the prices. I will collect next year, but go slow and steady, although I am probably not going to bother with accessories to make it more affordable.
If prices keep going up like they are doing, I may need to reconsider finishing my mint loose run at all!
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

I've actually picked up a few things this month and started to collect loose in fair-ish condition. In no great rush though! I can't see myself paying hundreds for figures, so will probably have a few gaps. The most expensive figures are ones I don't have any nostalgic connection to really (last 17) so I can happily live without those ewoks and the boring purple dude etc