The Vintage Rebellion Episode 79 Launched

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Crikey, this one's a beast!

facebook.jpg

During recording of episode 79 we heard the news that Jeremy Bulloch had passed, adding to the recent passing of David Prowse. Andy Preston pays tribute to two legends of the Star Wars Universe.

Check this beauty out on YouTube: https://youtu.be/rcgLOyHaoxA

Our main interview this month is with Craig Miller. Director of Fan Relations for Lucasfilm 1977 - 1980. He created and oversaw the Official Star Wars Fan Club as well as having edited and written virtually all of the first two years of Bantha Tracks. He has a number of terrific stories, and maybe the longest Rapid Fire in history. He was a charming guest and we made him late for his lunch. And on the YouTube version you can watch him on video - Its technology at its finest here at The Vintage Rebellion HQ!

Rebel Briefings are anything but brief as Richard catches up and rugby tackles to the ground Mark Baker and Mark Andrews to talk COOs as if they are a bunch of pigeons re-enacting Pigeon Street. Also we discuss the Toy Museum starting up in Milton Keynes.

Licensee section is an epic two parter. We look at stuff released in Christmas Past, then in Christmas Present we travel back to the 70s/80s to each choose stuff from several years of the Sears Catalogue and re-evaluate what we chose in Christmas Future eyes. Spoons tackles a skid problem with his PJs.. hmm.  

And lastly,... amongst the epic tales of what Jason and Preston bought this month we review our collecting stories of 2020, Preston has a massive reveal and we try to add a bit of Tinsel to proceedings. 

There's also a couple of bonus items on youtube with our three favourite purchases of the year in video form. https://youtu.be/zjShgXA8s2E

00:00:00 - Intro
00:03:49 - Host Newest Acquisitions
00:18:18 - 2020 Review & "Break the Bank" Purchases
01:03:07 - The Quiz
01:22:41 - NA Shoutouts
01:30:59 - Rebel Briefings
01:32:03 - Variant Hunters: Mark Andrews & Mark Baker
0:2:22:20 - Remembering David Prowse & Jeremy Bulloch
02:27:28 - National Film & Sci-Fi Museum
02:31:50 - A Book about Kenner
02:34:31 - The Craig Miller Interview
04:24:33 - Vintage Star Wars Christmas Items
04:51:44 - The Sears Christmas Catalogue Challenge
05:18:41 - Outro & Feedback

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The interview with Craig Miller was really interesting. Thanks Pete. And I really enjoyed the Christmas Sears Challenge. Trust Spoons to go and cheat. Rightly eliminated by Andy Preston.

But of course the highlight for me was the interview with Mark Baker and Mark Andrews. As a variant collector it's great to hear variant collecting on the podcast.

In fact the figures, vehicles and playsets have seemed to take a backseat for months now. Don't get me wrong I love listening to the beyond the toys stuff and what Jason and Andy don't know about that isn't worth knowing. The amount of knowledge they bring to the podcast is incredible and every day is a school day listening to them.

It's just nice to get back to the Kenner toy line every once in a while. After all, more often than not, the toys are the reason we were all drawn into the Star Wars collecting hobby and community in the first place. Made my Christmas listening schedule.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for a great show and indeed a great year of shows. As an ill customer who had to sheild a lot in 2020, your hard work was appreciated more than ever. Sweet goodness, your show is great.

Your Craig Miller interview prompted me to dig out my copy of the Sesame Street raw footage which I saw hadn't made it to YouTube. And it does include Artoo's singing which LFL felt too out-of-character. True to Craig's memory, that skit never made it to the broadcast episodes. So here it is included in this 40 minute footage, but don't get excited. Artoo's vocal range consists largely of one note. The boy cannot sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJdzAdOXB8g&feature=youtu.be

All the best for 21, Declan.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Thanks for the feedback guys. Declan, that Sesame Street footage is great! Thanks for posting it, I'd never seen it before.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
As reminded by your good self, I got my singing story a bit wrong. Of course it was Artoo singing in robotic words that LFL ruled out. However, the routine here never made it to air, perhaps because our little friend's one note singing was crap.

kato

Thanks for the interview Rich, and the great feedback guys. Loved getting on the podcast which I've listened to for year and finally participating. I was a little worried I jumped into the deep end discussing mixed torso and mould families - perhaps we should have done a little introduction to all the terms us variant lot take for granted. We sound like a right bunch of nerds, but that's our little corner of the hobby.

Best wishes for 2021 y'all. Mark (Andrews)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom