Is my AFA graded ESB Tie Fighter Pilot... a Toy Toni?!?

hanskywalker

Youngling
Hello everyone

I was looking through some of my old carded figures today and came across this Tie Fighter Pilot.

I know a bit about the Toy Toni thing now, but I can't imagine I knew about it whenever I purchased this! Looking at it today, I've a feeling it must be a bit dodgy! :D

Unfortunately I've no idea when or where I purchased it, as it was a long time ago. I thought I'd just share it with you guys, cause I find all this sort of craziness pretty interesting! 8)

I still love it though, for pure nostalgia reasons if nothing else!

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,001

jayums

Jedi Master
At least if you'd had it that long you won't be out of pocket , I'm sure it will be worth more now that it was then. It looks lovely -I'd keep it .

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I agree it looks like a TT, but also agree with the above that it's such a stunning thing that you would have no problem moving it on if you don't want a 'fake' in your collection.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
jayums said:
At least if you'd had it that long you won't be out of pocket , I'm sure it will be worth more now that it was then. It looks lovely -I'd keep it .

I agree, keep it as an example of this part of the hobby.

hanskywalker

Youngling
Lol!! It's crazy! Wonder how many of these things are out there, or how many got graded.

I'm gonna keep him on my desk now to keep me company, cause he looks pretty cool. Maybe I should get him out of the AFA box and pop him in a blank one.

Would really love to find a nice genuine one some day. I've seen quite a few Jedi ones come up for sale, but hardly any ESB ones.

GLucas

Padawan
I love the TFP cardback, has a lot of nostalgia about it. I would cherish this one, wether it's a TT or not.

I do own a TT snowtrooper, wasn't aware about the scam at that time, but I don't regret it because I like the cardback and the minty figure on it. It's not always about value, although the scam cannot be justified, but I do like having a carded snowtrooper, TT or not.

hanskywalker

Youngling
Definitely, the Snowtrooper has a lot of nostalgia for me too. Bet it looks amazing all fresh and minty! :)

olisuds

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Yes it is.

The bubble is incorrect

Hi Grant, when you say the bubble is incorrect, do you mean because there is no bubble number? Do you know what bubble number the TFP should be?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
olisuds said:
Grant_C said:
Yes it is.

The bubble is incorrect

Hi Grant, when you say the bubble is incorrect, do you mean because there is no bubble number? Do you know what bubble number the TFP should be?

I'll have to check.

The bubble is to small- perhaps a Luke Hoth bubble- i cant remember. The proper bubble has more room and a decent gap between the top of the head and top of bubble- i'll take photos tomorrow

olisuds

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
olisuds said:
Grant_C said:
Yes it is.

The bubble is incorrect

I'll have to check.

The bubble is to small- perhaps a Luke Hoth bubble- i cant remember. The proper bubble has more room and a decent gap between the top of the head and top of bubble- i'll take photos tomorrow

I'm not convinced that bubble type and bubble numbers are a 100% reliable way to determine authenticity. I tend to go by the look of the seal and indentation on the back of the card and of course anything with a suspiciously high grade on the bubble and card.

I use to have a 45b TFP with a twin stem bubble that was an obvious TT as the bubble seal looked cloudy/patchy as if it had been glued down and it was case fresh.

Last year I bought a 45b TFP from Vectis that came from a Palitoy employee. It had a single stem bubble with no bubble number. Seal looks good and clear, it has an indentation in the card back but obviously not an 85/90 grade.

Attachments

• 6097.jpg
    6097.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 462

jayums

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
jayums said:
Did Tony Tony's ever suss out how to do the waffle seal ?

No, I don't think his iron had that setting :)

:) that's what I was alluding too ! Even in those photos the seal looks melty/gluey and done in a really uneven way (and no waffle pattern!). Didn't this ring any alarm bells with graders at the time having all these amazing cards/bubbles with weird / crap looking seals ?

olisuds

Sith Lord
hanskywalker said:
Hello everyone

I was looking through some of my old carded figures today and came across this Tie Fighter Pilot.

I know a bit about the Toy Toni thing now, but I can't imagine I knew about it whenever I purchased this! Looking at it today, I've a feeling it must be a bit dodgy! :D

Unfortunately I've no idea when or where I purchased it, as it was a long time ago. I thought I'd just share it with you guys, cause I find all this sort of craziness pretty interesting! 8)

I still love it though, for pure nostalgia reasons if nothing else!

Could you confirm the number on bottom right of bubble? I can't see one but just wanted to check.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
jayums said:
edd_jedi said:
jayums said:
Did Tony Tony's ever suss out how to do the waffle seal ?

No, I don't think his iron had that setting :)

:) that's what I was alluding too ! Even in those photos the seal looks melty/gluey and done in a really uneven way (and no waffle pattern!). Didn't this ring any alarm bells with graders at the time having all these amazing cards/bubbles with weird / crap looking seals ?

Waffle pattern isn't a clear indicator, as there are plenty of genuine slick sealed MOCs out there. If it has waffle, it's definitely not a Toni, however, slick seal doesn't mean it definitely is a Toni either. For me, the press on the back is the best indicator.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes agree with the above, and bubble placement is a big one too. Toni always centered his bubbles perfectly over the racetrack, factory sealed bubbles are almost never like that. For example here's my Star Destroyer Commander, look how far to the left it is compared to the TIE Pilot in the original post:

IMG_7155.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom