Why are we all tarnished so....

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Why are we all tarnished so....

Post by Clarkspie&chips »

pmsbull wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm
If we want to raise the reputation for SW collectors, we need to stop being so eletist in our attitude when we speak to novices - because admit it or not, like it or not - WE ARE ELETIST.
I’m sorry but I completely disagree with your statement.

ALL hobbies have elitists, that’s just human nature but they constitute a very small percentage of collectors.
Our hobby is genuinely welcoming and friendly and nine times out of ten people will go out of their way to help others, especially newcomers.
This forum is a shining example of that spirit - just look at the recent valuations thread.

I would also like to add that elitism in itself is no bad thing and one of the reasons why we have such in depth guides to nearly every facet of collecting, a broad rejection of repro and other hobby damaging activities like U grading to name a few.
DarthStanley
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by DarthStanley »

edd_jedi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:08 am
What I do find interesting is how fast prices have climbed in other toy lines. It took decades for vintage Star Wars toys to reach the prices they are now with very gradual rises over 30 odd years. In fact some items are worth the same as they were 30 years ago, common boxed vehicles and mini rigs for example.

On the other hand, I am seeing He-Man, wrestling and MASK toys selling for serious amounts of money now, more than Star Wars in some cases, and they weren't just a few years ago. The same with video games, some of mine have gone up 10x in value in under 10 years.

You're right Edd,I also collect WWF Hasbro figures & the MOC prices have gone mental in the last year! :lol:
"I don't give a fuck about your war or your president!" -Snake Plissken 1981
Michael Sith
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Michael Sith »

I personally don’t think this forum has really ever been unresponsive to newbies asking questions 99% of responses are helpful and welcoming certainly not elitist, maybe that is the case on FB etc but not on here.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"
Ruby2511
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Ruby2511 »

Michael Sith wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:00 pm
I personally don’t think this forum has really ever been unresponsive to newbies asking questions 99% of responses are helpful and welcoming certainly not elitist, maybe that is the case on FB etc but not on here.
Totally agree Mike, I've only ever seen our members be courteous and helpful.

I dont do FB so cannot compare and really dont want to, I'm very content with my daily dose of SWFUK 😁😁😁
Hi i'm Russ 👋

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.