Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Crumm
Regular
Regular

Re: Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Post by Crumm »

It certainly has as far as prices are concerned, I just had my eye on a minty Biker Scout on fleabay
Ended up selling for £63!...£63!...For a Biker Scout. I mean, they are a great figure, and I really want to add a minty one to my collection, but not at £63! and it was not even a Ledy or short mouth or anything like that.

I am prepared to stump up reasonable cash for good figures, but that is taking the piss! I understand how Jayums feels, I don't have tons of money lying around to be able to compete, I just want to complete a mint loose run because I love the figures. I don't see them as an "investment", just a part of my childhood that I would like to re-capture.

Things have gone insane, and if it stays this way, or gets worse, I will probably never finish the run that I started four years ago.

However, on the flip side, the 43 figures that I have collected so far are rocketing in value. Not that they will ever be sold though.
Last edited by Crumm on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"
Diamond76
New User
New User

Post by Diamond76 »

I could be one of the idiots that has started collecting during lockdown. However the price of the originals figures is far too much and I have bought the Modern Retro Collection instead because they look very similar to the figures I had as a child. I think there is a review somewhere comparing them. I have branched out to the POTF 12” it again these aren’t true retro but some come with a hefty price tag!!
Crumm
Regular
Regular

Post by Crumm »

Diamond76 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:14 am
I could be one of the idiots that has started collecting during lockdown. However the price of the originals figures is far too much and I have bought the Modern Retro Collection instead because they look very similar to the figures I had as a child. I think there is a review somewhere comparing them. I have branched out to the POTF 12” it again these aren’t true retro but some come with a hefty price tag!!
I wouldn't say that Diamond, you started because you wanted to collect the figures, same as everyone on here. But you too have noticed that the prices are crazy, it's a real shame that people who just want to collect for the love of the hobby/ childhood reasons now seem to be seriously priced out, even with some of the basic figures.

Perhaps "idiots" was a bit of a strong word, I will edit that.
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"
Diamond76
New User
New User

Post by Diamond76 »

Crumm wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:40 am
Diamond76 wrote:
I wouldn't say that Diamond, you started because you wanted to collect the figures, same as everyone on here. But you too have noticed that the prices are crazy, it's a real shame that people who just want to collect for the love of the hobby/ childhood reasons now seem to be seriously priced out, even with some of the basic figures.

Perhaps "idiots" was a bit of a strong word, I will edit that.
I think idiots was mild :-)
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

I think the thing to always remember with eBay is that it doesn't reflect what an item is worth , just often what it is worth to the 2-3 people who happen to be prepared to bid silly sums at a particular given time. As for 65 quid biker scouts, there is never any reason to pay that much, they are common as muck. A bit of patience and the same condition one will turn up for half that figure or less.

I don't know what is going on at the moment re: prices. Perhaps there are a lot of people working from home, not spending on other stuff / going out etc, or having a tough time of it and tuning out with childhood nostalgia.

I'm collecting a loose run at the moment, but I won't ever complete it . Even if the money wasn't an issue and I had 350 quid to spend on a minty pop up r2, I'd always rather spend it on something else (Star Wars vintage or otherwise!). So in that sense, the prices for me long since exceeded the intrinsic value of the figures.
Last edited by jayums on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Diamond76 wrote:

Wave 2 of the retro collection in particular are really good figures. If you just want the vintage feels without breaking the bank I would recommend them. The packaging is dire, but loose they are great.
Diamond76
New User
New User

Post by Diamond76 »

jayums wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:21 pm
Diamond76 wrote:

Wave 2 of the retro collection in particular are really good figures. If you just want the vintage feels without breaking the bank I would recommend them. The packaging is dire, but loose they are great.
Yes I even like the packaging so its a no brainer.
I have got involved in the 12 inch figures bought myself an OB1 for £15 + P&P. Seems to be a fair price.
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 »

Crumm wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 pm
It certainly has as far as prices are concerned, I just had my eye on a minty Biker Scout on fleabay
Ended up selling for £63!...£63!...For a Biker Scout. I mean, they are a great figure, and I really want to add a minty one to my collection, but not at £63! and it was not even a Ledy or short mouth or anything like that.

I am prepared to stump up reasonable cash for good figures, but that is taking the piss! I understand how Jayums feels, I don't have tons of money lying around to be able to compete, I just want to complete a mint loose run because I love the figures. I don't see them as an "investment", just a part of my childhood that I would like to re-capture.

Things have gone insane, and if it stays this way, or gets worse, I will probably never finish the run that I started four years ago.

However, on the flip side, the 43 figures that I have collected so far are rocketing in value. Not that they will ever be sold though.
There will always be the exception to the tule, but nice biker scouts are still selling for far less than that on eBay and FB.
A few have sold this week for less than £20 and were in very nice condition.
The old rule stands “if it’s too much walk away another will always pop up again”. :D
Don’t loose heart.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Absolutely agree - 3 of them (no weapons) popped up on eBay yesterday, all under 15 quid , less the pistol. They all looked in vgc. I wouldn't be paying more than 22 quid complete even for minty as another one will come along soon enough.
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

poncho wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:45 pm
I've realised I need to downsize

I really should display stuff what's the point in collecting if I cant show it.
I decided to downsize recently as I was going to convert a spare bedroom in to a display area but I decided to convert it into a playroom for the kids instead. I had all my 41, 45A and 45B’s boxed up which was giving me no pleasure so decided to put them up for sale.

I love my Palitoy Logo’d debut set which I have on display in a hallway in wall vaults which I feel is an excellent use of space as walls are usually dead space. I am enjoying exploring ways of expanding my existing display area to accommodate more 30 Backs as this will be my only collecting focus moving forward.

I genuinely feel relieved to be downsizing and not to be collecting 41,45A and 45B anymore, it feels like a weight off my shoulders as these items can be very expensive and when you don’t really want them and don’t display them you end up feeling guilty when you buy them.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
coomber75
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by coomber75 »

ive pondered about selling up, but im fortunate enough to have completed my loose run, and majority of my moc, although i still think stragely mocs are staying at better prices than loose, im guessing down to space needed to display, so have focuseed more on mocs, with occasional loose upgrades... but as all said its a patience game, have missed out on 5 baradas but have my limit and dont go beyond.. i just need that one auction to fallright, in fairness ive not exactly rushed, i think im 7 yrs in now :lol: :lol: