Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

jayums wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:45 am

Pay what it's worth to you. Enjoy it (display it if possible). The true value is the pleasure it gives you now from owning it. If it happens to be 'worth' more in the future then that's a bonus
That's good advice and pretty much sums up how I look at collecting.

I am not convinced that Vintage Star Wars collecting will wither and die with collectors like us as this has not happened with Comics with Superhero's like Superman dating back to 1938 and Batman 1939 still going strong and comics from that era in high demand even though the children that originally read them probably don't collect them. Baseball, Basketball and American Football trading cards are in high demand, how many of those collectors remember Mikey Mantle or Honus Wagner very few I expect so it can't be nostalgia alone that is motivating collectors to collect things, maybe Vintage Star Wars will remain highly collectible after we have gone.

The rapid rise in prices as a result of the Pandemic is still a mystery to me.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
Diamond76
New User
New User

Post by Diamond76 »

I am expecting a lot of figures to be on the market post pandemic and hopefully prices will drop a little before plateauing out.
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by poncho »

Diamond76 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 am
I am expecting a lot of figures to be on the market post pandemic and hopefully prices will drop a little before plateauing out.
Plateauing - what a lovely word
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by peekaygee73 »

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm
I am not convinced that Vintage Star Wars collecting will wither and die with collectors like us as this has not happened with Comics with Superhero's like Superman dating back to 1938 and Batman 1939 still going strong and comics from that era in high demand even though the children that originally read them probably don't collect them. Baseball, Basketball and American Football trading cards are in high demand, how many of those collectors remember Mikey Mantle or Honus Wagner very few I expect so it can't be nostalgia alone that is motivating collectors to collect things, maybe Vintage Star Wars will remain highly collectible after we have gone.
Thing is, the comics are the original media for those characters - that's the original/definitive way of getting your fix of Batman/Superman etc... and the comic lines continue to this day, meaning someone collecting the comic now will buy the old issues to complete the set.

With Star Wars the action figure/lego releases are still around but don't have a direct tie-in to the original vintage toy line, other than being the same characters/films. It's the films themselves which are the definitive media. I don't doubt there'll be some of today's children who'll collect vintage in the future, but it'll be fewer collectors than there are today which will inevitably have an impact on value.
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm
The rapid rise in prices as a result of the Pandemic is still a mystery to me.
It's a mixture of things. People with extra money to spend because they're not spending what they usually do (not travelling to work, eating out, drinking, shopping, etc...); people who are furloughed/bored/stressed/depressed and need an escape from their lives; people who have come to vintage recently and are prepared to pay OTT prices without doing research. I also suspect the lack of opportunities for person-to-person contact means that not as much stuff as usual is coming to the market for the first time; people selling at car boot sales, etc...
Admiral Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Admiral Snackbar »

This sums it up for me. I’ve had a desire to go back to happier times this last year as we all have. So I Have bought some of the old things that remind me of that. Star Wars was such a huge part of my childhood that yes I suppose it’s been like a bit of a regress. I’ve found it satisfying and enjoyable.
Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Clarkspie&chips »

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbour at the weekend, he restores classic cars and noted the prices have shot up over the pandemic.
My wife is interested in vintage designer handbags (yes, it’s a thing!) and she said the prices have also gone up so we’re not alone in lamenting the state of our hobby.
revilluk
Regular
Regular

Post by revilluk »

Clarkspie&chips wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm
I had an interesting conversation with a neighbour at the weekend, he restores classic cars and noted the prices have shot up over the pandemic.
My wife is interested in vintage designer handbags (yes, it’s a thing!) and she said the prices have also gone up so we’re not alone in lamenting the state of our hobby.

Interesting to hear we are not alone!
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

Clarkspie&chips wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm
It seems like people are focusing their money on what makes them happy Bigger House, Classic Car, Action Figure, Comic which makes sense given the depressing reality of all the restrictions, I added a new figure to my display and it gave me a real boost!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
Admiral Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Admiral Snackbar »

Picked up a lumat, but it came with a warok quiver.

Does anyone have a lumat quiver they want to swap for a warok one??

Thanks