Ben sabres - legit or repro?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ben sabres - legit or repro?

Post by peekaygee73 »

Can anyone help with a couple of Ben sabres please. I've stared at these till I'm nearly bog-eyed and I'm still not sure.

First one: From TIG it looks like it's a flat transition/normal tip. It's a floater even when pushed under water.
Vintage sabre 1-1.jpg
Vintage sabre 1-1.jpg (39.67 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Vintage sabre 1-2.jpg
Vintage sabre 1-2.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Second one: I've had this in my repro bag for ages but double-checked it again today. Again I'm thinking flat transition/normal tip. It's a sinker with a lettered hilt - 'B - which is on the correct side. Are there any repro letter hilts?
Vintage sabre lettered 2-1.jpg
Vintage sabre lettered 2-1.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Vintage sabre lettered 2-2.jpg
Vintage sabre lettered 2-2.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Vintage sabre lettered 2-3.jpg
Vintage sabre lettered 2-3.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Last edited by peekaygee73 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Ben sabres - legit or repro?

Post by lejackal »

The lettered hilt is definitely real, there are no known repro with lettered hilts.
Vulture time:

Should it happen to be for sale I’d be interested :lol:

I’m not sure either way on the other one, I’ll try and check TIG when I’ve got the laptop open later
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Ben sabres - legit or repro?

Post by peekaygee73 »

Thanks, that's good to know. I got the lettered hilt saber as part of a lot of figures I bought years ago which came with a lot of repro accessories. I think I just float tested it and put it to one side - I never even noticed the letter till yesterday. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it but if I change my mind I'll let you know :)

I'm pretty confident the other's legit, but one thing that was throwing me was the little plastic tab on the top at the hilt end. Is that where it would've connected to the sprue?