VAT added to eBay purchases from EU without notice

olisuds

Sith Lord
Ok so I guess it's no surprise that VAT is due on purchases from the EU now, however I was not expecting them to be taken on purchase without warning when buying something from EU on eBay.

I was watching an item from France priced at €50. I received an offer for a 20% discount to €40. No mention of any additional taxes being added. I accept the offer. I receive notification that my offer of €40 plus $12 shipping has been accepted. When I go to payment it says you have committed to buy this item at €48 plus €12 shipping. WTF!

If you look at the terms on VAT on eBay it says: When you list items on eBay, include VAT in your price. You may not add VAT to the final price after a buyer has won or bought an item.

Very tempted to cancel the sale out of principle here. What are your thoughts on this?

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Get eBay to ring you back on the transaction, state that they are not following their own terms :lol:
If enough ring to complain they will have to amend their automated listing tool.
Not fair to the seller to loose a sale because of this. - He should complain too.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Happened to me about a month ago, started a thread then as well. Really naughty of ebay, but no surprise really!

Here's the link to the other thread.

https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42062

olisuds

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Happened to me about a month ago, started a thread then as well. Really naughty of ebay, but no surprise really!

Just read your thread and looks like exactly the same as what happened to me.

It goes completely against eBay rules. When i got the invoice it didn't even say VAT was added, it was just 20% higher without warning. How is that even legal? Could understand if it was the GSP. When you buy something from the US they don't add VAT on at checkout.

Oh well, I cancelled the sale. Lesson learnt - I now don't buy anything on eBay from Europe.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
olisuds said:
theforceuk said:

Just read your thread and looks like exactly the same as what happened to me.

It goes completely against eBay rules. When i got the invoice it didn't even say VAT was added, it was just 20% higher without warning. How is that even legal? Could understand if it was the GSP. When you buy something from the US they don't add VAT on at checkout.

Oh well, I cancelled the sale. Lesson learnt - I now don't buy anything on eBay from Europe.

Yeah same here unless it's a really good deal I can't see myself buying anything from Europe on ebay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom