Vectis today- 9/3/21

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Vectis today- 9/3/21

Post by palitoyjunky »

theforceuk wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 pm
palitoyjunky wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm
People r paying big money for Kenner 85 grades with clear bubbles :!: The 21 Fett price didn’t really surprise me, the card was unpunched with no price sticker and AFA 80 is a v respectable grade. Obviously it was the fees that pushed it to 7K. An 85 grade could sell for quite a bit more than 7K :!:
Absolutely agree, grading adds on so much to the big ticket items that figure ungraded would go for under £5K I reckon. Anything over £2K is to much IMO. lol
Lol your not far wrong!
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by palitoyjunky »

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:32 pm
theforceuk wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 pm
palitoyjunky wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm
People r paying big money for Kenner 85 grades with clear bubbles :!: The 21 Fett price didn’t really surprise me, the card was unpunched with no price sticker and AFA 80 is a v respectable grade. Obviously it was the fees that pushed it to 7K. An 85 grade could sell for quite a bit more than 7K :!:
Absolutely agree, grading adds on so much to the big ticket items that figure ungraded would go for under £5K I reckon. Anything over £2K is to much IMO. lol
I guess the trick is to buy a high grade ungraded item but that’s easier said than done.
That’s the way to do it if u can :!: Another rarity these days is finding a top condition piece that is ungraded :!:
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Yeah and then pay £100 to grade it it and sell it for £3k more, I’m joking but I can see why people do it. Bloody easy money!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

theforceuk wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 am
Yeah and then pay £100 to grade it it and sell it for £3k more, I’m joking but I can see why people do it. Bloody easy money!
It’s also why people dislike grading as they blame it for increasing prices.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by palitoyjunky »

theforceuk wrote:
It’s been dealers bread & butter for years :!: I rem one dealer years ago telling me he once sold a mint sealed Jawa Sand Crawler to a customer back in the early 2000s(when the original grading company AFA was in its infancy) for £800. He later learned it was sent off for grading, scored 85 and was sold for $4000 :!: The dealer said after that, anything good was just automatically sent off for grading.
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

palitoyjunky wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:36 am
theforceuk wrote:
It’s been dealers bread & butter for years :!: I rem one dealer years ago telling me he once sold a mint sealed Jawa Sand Crawler to a customer back in the early 2000s(when the original grading company AFA was in its infancy) for £800. He later learned it was sent off for grading, scored 85 and was sold for $4000 :!: The dealer said after that, anything good was just automatically sent off for grading.
Chris at Metropolis in Warwick and Joe at Leicester Vintage both do this for sure.
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

I can see why collectors dislike grading because of the flipping, but it’s never really bothered me. I actually look out for the lower graded items which grading can have the opposite impact on and potential buyers just dismiss particularly poor grades. I’ve never been a c10/AFA85 collector anyway. I would take two creased 12 backs for the price of one mint any day.
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by palitoyjunky »

Total win win for collectors such as yourself mate 8)
UKS
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by UKS »

I bid on some Visionaries stuff and got knocked out.

Grading never has interested me - I do get the plastic box esthetic - but not the 85/70 thing. I don't know how that would have affected by enjoyment as a child. I like a bit of damage!

It strikes me that TF's and MOTU tend not to go for huge numbers on Vectis. But SW and Action Force sometimes does.
Wreck-It Ralph
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Wreck-It Ralph »

edd_jedi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:18 pm
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:57 pm
The good news is it is nothing like comics where the grade has a huge significance on the price, grade is everything in comics!
Yeah it's the same with video games, collectors only seem interested in high grade and/or mint condition, sealed games with rips or creases etc are relatively worthless. I like that Star Wars has a healthy market for lower condition items, I think it's a bit snobby to write off anything that has 'character.'
I don’t think you have much choice in Vintage Star Wars as some items are not available in high grades so you have to take what is available which is different to comics and possibly video games as they are much more abundant and therefore people can afford to be picky.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

UKS wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm

Grading never has interested me - I do get the plastic box esthetic - but not the 85/70 thing. I don't know how that would have affected by enjoyment as a child. I like a bit of damage!

It strikes me that TF's and MOTU tend not to go for huge numbers on Vectis. But SW and Action Force sometimes does.
Someone was having a field day with MOTU items same bidder kept winning them, must have been a dealer.
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 »

theforceuk wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 pm
UKS wrote:

Someone was having a field day with MOTU items same bidder kept winning them, must have been a dealer.
They will all be on FB in a few weeks....
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Mini99 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 pm
theforceuk wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 pm
UKS wrote:

They will all be on FB in a few weeks....
Probably, although pretty much all of it was ungraded factory sealed clear bubbles and windows so may take more than a couple of weeks to show up.
stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by stormcab »

Another Vectis auction I missed, but looking back at the prices - insane! Final price was insane enough, let alone the commission was yet to be added.