Removing mould inside bubble?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Removing mould inside bubble?

Post by edd_jedi »

My latest MOC purchase has an unwanted visitor inside the bubble... some white mould! It looked like sticker residue on the bubble in the photos when I bought it, but I can't really send it back as it was in the photos (although you would think the seller would mention it.)

Anyway, I have successfully removed 'frosting' from figures inside bubbles by putting them in the sun before, has anyone had success removing mould on a card similar to this?
IMG_1571.jpeg
IMG_1571.jpeg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 370 times
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Removing mould inside bubble?

Post by lejackal »

I imagine the same technique would be worth a try. I’ve not had to do it though
Robstyley
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Robstyley »

The bubble prob has a tiny hole or crack in it. You get mould from moisture and a low temperature. If a bubbles completely sealed moisture shouldn’t be able to get in there. A warm temperature may help to dry it out inside, don’t know if the white mould will completely disappear though.
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by poncho »

The sun will harden it and kill it potentially but that needs physically removing
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

edd_jedi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm
My latest MOC purchase has an unwanted visitor inside the bubble... some white mould! It looked like sticker residue on the bubble in the photos when I bought it, but I can't really send it back as it was in the photos (although you would think the seller would mention it.)

Anyway, I have successfully removed 'frosting' from figures inside bubbles by putting them in the sun before, has anyone had success removing mould on a card similar to this?

IMG_1571.jpeg
I agree with Poncho. I believe the mould would need physically removing, even if you managed to dry it out and kill it either with sunlight or heating the back of the card with a hair dryer (although I believe it would wipe off far more easily and completely if it could be done whilst it was still alive and moist, but of course that's impossible with a T-L bubble unless you open it).

However, mould inside the bubble is one hell of a lot more serious than sticker residue on top of it, and the seller had an absolute obligation to highlight it prior to the sale, in my opinion. All the more so if the photos weren't sufficiently clear or hi-res enough to properly identify the mould for what it was. Sticker residue on bubbles is fairly common and easily removed. Mould growing on the card behind them certainly is not, and as such I believe you have a perfect right to return it for a full refund. I know I bloody would!

Best of luck.

Jeremy
Last edited by Snaketibe on Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Sadly you guys may be right. Here is the photo from the ad, as you ca see the reflection makes it look like it's on top of the bubble. I bought it on Facebook, no mention of the mould in the description. I am going to try sunlight tomorrow (assuming there is any :lol: ) but if it won't fry off I may have to think about contacting the seller again as I don't want to open it, and it certainly looks way worse in reality than it does in the below photo.
157193586_10219567839053693_1406421983306612729_o.jpg
157193586_10219567839053693_1406421983306612729_o.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Grant_C
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Grant_C »

Can you locate any gap/crack on the bubble?
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Grant_C wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 pm
It is lifting slightly in the bottom right corner, but I don’t think it’s enough to get something in to clean it
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

edd_jedi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Grant_C wrote:
It is lifting slightly in the bottom right corner, but I don’t think it’s enough to get something in to clean it
Rather than get something in could you possibly suck the mould out? ie use a vacuum cleaner (carefully) to suck the debris out.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

lejackal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:02 am
edd_jedi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Grant_C wrote:
Rather than get something in could you possibly suck the mould out? ie use a vacuum cleaner (carefully) to suck the debris out.
Maybe a suction pen / ear wax remover if there is a crack in the bubble ...

Or you could try a covid nasal swab stick :lol:
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

3 hours in the sun today and no improvement. I can't get inside the bubble without damaging it. I have messaged the seller about a refund :(
weasel
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by weasel »

edd_jedi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 pm
Sadly you guys may be right. Here is the photo from the ad, as you ca see the reflection makes it look like it's on top of the bubble. I bought it on Facebook, no mention of the mould in the description. I am going to try sunlight tomorrow (assuming there is any :lol: ) but if it won't fry off I may have to think about contacting the seller again as I don't want to open it, and it certainly looks way worse in reality than it does in the below photo.

157193586_10219567839053693_1406421983306612729_o.jpg
That looks like a very deliberately chosen photo. The seller knew rightly and was chancing his arm.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

edd_jedi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:54 pm
3 hours in the sun today and no improvement. I can't get inside the bubble without damaging it. I have messaged the seller about a refund :(
You should definitely get a refund. Surely that's the kind of thing that should be mentioned when selling. If I picked it up at a bargain beater price and it was listed 'sold as seen' etc then I'd think it fair enough, but if I had comms with the seller I would be pretty aggrieved if an issue like that wasn't drawn to my attention.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

The seller offered me a decent partial refund, so I accepted it and will have another go. I used some of the money to buy a UV-C lamp from Amazon, it was only £20 and after reading up on it apparently UV-C is the only light that kills mould, and there is only a tiny % of it in sunlight. For £20 it's worth a try.

Plan B is to put a very tiny needle or something under a lift in the bubble, but I would rather not do that. It would have been less hassle to send it back, but as you can see from my sales thread even this one is a massive upgrade on my other one, and it's a difficult MOC to track down so I want to try and save it!
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Best of luck, I hope it works.