Potential solution for securing your collection - Apple Air Tags

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
These are by no means the first Bluetooth trackers on the market (in fact I had a crude one about 5 years ago which is now obsolete) but it's certainly the first that is well supported and reasonably cheap. If you have an iPhone or Mac, you can buy four of these for £99, and be able to locate them to within a few feet. The replaceable batteries last around a year. Full details here:

https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/

I'm going to buy a set and put them in with a few of my pricier items. As you all know I was the victim of a theft back in 2007, and if these existed then it may have taken a lot less than 5 years to locate them. Considering how valuable some items are now, spending <£25 to be able to track them seems like a no brainer to me.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
These are great, all my expensive items are MOC though. Could do with something smaller, or am I missing something?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
These are great, all my expensive items are MOC though. Could do with something smaller, or am I missing something?

I was planning on sticking them to the inside of the star case or acrylic case with blue tac or something. I think they are small enough that a thief stealing multiple items would not notice them. Saying that, them being visible isn't necessarily a bad thing, it might deter a thief.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
theforceuk said:

I was planning on sticking them to the inside of the star case or acrylic case with blue tac or something. I think they are small enough that a thief stealing multiple items would not notice them. Saying that, them being visible isn't necessarily a bad thing, it might deter a thief.

Definitely a deterrent, all my MOC are sealed in acrylic. Definitely on to something though.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Definitely a deterrent, all my MOC are sealed in acrylic. Definitely on to something though.

The GA Acrylic cases have ample room on the sliding bottom to stick one, you wouldn't be able to see it on display.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom