Hi and dilemma

MikeSW327

First off, Hi to all,

I'm Mike and have been collecting for many years.

This is an unusual first post as I am actually thinking of selling my entire collection.

The dilemma I have is that I am now aged 52 and after 35 years would like to get back on a 125cc (or bigger) bike, but need cash to do it.

Having got rid of the Star Wars toys I had as a child and wanting them back, I started collecting vintage Star Wars toys from the late 90's and stopped just a few years ago.

I therefore have a huge collection, well over 300 figures, all the 12" figures (apart from 15" IG88), about 80% of all the toys (ships/vehicles, playsets, accessories, games, cases etc etc) made by Palitoy and Kenner for Star Wars with many in their boxes. They are also all kept in sealed boxes in the loft so I don't see them and also take up about 1/3 of the loft area even stacked on top of each other! If I had a big enough area and display cabinets I'd put them on display, but I don't.

What I can't seem to decide is whether this is a good time to sell? do you think as the generation that remembers the original movies and toys gets much older that these will start losing their values? Will I regret selling them? (personal I know).

Cheers all for opinions, comments and possibly a hard time :|

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum! My 2p... now is a VERY good time to sell- prices are crazy at the moment. You will need to be careful and organised. Don't rush into it, especially if you are unsure about prices, the current market etc. You will get a lot more by selling individually. Would be a good idea to split them up and sell them in batches. It's a lot more time consuming to do this, but the money would be substantially more. Selling them as a job lot to a dealer etc, would be a lot easier, but obviously you wouldn't get a maximum return.

If you are seriously considering this, it would be a good idea to take LOTS of good quality pics and post them in the Valuation section. You will get lots of advice in there.

You can sell on here, Ebay, Facebook etc.

DON'T entertain offers via PM...

Finally, think very carefully about what you are going to do. Sounds like you have quite a considerable collection, that's been many years in the making and you obviously have that childhood nostalgia, that will almost certainly come back and bite you! It maybe worth 'thinning' out the collection- keep the bits that do hold an attachment. Get them out on display. Any that don't make the cut could then be sold.

Good luck!

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Whether you will regret selling up or not is only for you to decide - but as they are not your childhood figures they are at least replaceable. Why not keep a core set of figures and/or vehicles and play sets that mean the most to you, and sell the rest?

As for whether it's a good time to sell, prices at the moment are probably the highest I've ever seen them. Which way prices will go in the medium to long term is anyone's guess, some will tell you that the bubble will burst once Covid-19 restrictions end and we are spending more money on going out, holidays etc. Others will tell you that prices have risen consistently for years now and there's no sign of that stopping. I guess it comes down to how quickly you need the cash.

Hope that helps!

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
As above, thin down what you won't miss the most and keep what would make you happy. Today's prices are at an all time high so now is as good time as any to sell. Good luck đź‘Ť

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Mike, if you want to sell, I would say this is the time. Prices are extremely high at the moment. Disney are going to keep the franchise going as it brings in big bucks. I can't see the vintage stuff being in less demand, really, hopefully. Fingers crossed.!!
But it's your decision after all. Perhaps keep your favourites or the expensive ones if you decided to replace ?

MikeSW327

Cheers Guys,

Much appreciate your replies and time.

Great advice as well.

I think you're right. I'll have to bring the whole lot down and organise the collection into what can definitely go, what I might want to keep and what I definitely want to keep. I'll probably keep one of each figure and make a complete set of 77-84 figures and weapons for display. The other bits will probably be kept on what hits the heart strings the most I guess.

It's a shame, as I was working towards putting together a collection of every Star Wars toy made from 77-84. Annoyingly enough I had the opportunity in the early days to get some of the rarer items at what is now a good price, but didn't and the prices eventually got too much to justify buying them and some have became so hard to find if not impossible.

Cheers guys, looks like I may be busy for a few months organising the collection.

Mike

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would say now is a good time to sell as well. Saying that though prices are still rising and would anyone bet against them rising even more, I certainly wouldn't. Your collection is pretty big by all accounts and I think you will be surprised by how little of your collection you will have to sell to afford a nice motor bike!

I'm sure we've all had the same conversation with our parents down the years on how if they had known how much Star Wars toys would be worth in the future they would have bought loads and stock piled them. You can say the same about how they have risen in the last 10 or so years, seriously if you had seen what the prices were going to be in 2021 back in 2010 would you not have stock piled? Who's to say we shouldn't be stock piling now for 2030? lol

At the end of the day if you sell up now and buy a nice bike and get a huge amount of enjoyment from the bike it doesn't matter if it's a good time to sell or not. You only live once! Money is no good stacked up in the loft.

MikeSW327

To be honest I'm dreading bringing it all down from the loft. Assuming I can find enough space for it all?

Some of it has been in the loft for the 18 years that I have lived at my current address.

Also I never created the collection as an investment, so I guess any money made is a bonus and at least others will have the chance to add to their collection.

As you say I may find I only need to sell some of it to create enough money for the motorbike.

Also I really feel that the collection is kind of wasted in the loft and time is running out to once again enjoy a petrol powered motorcycle before it's too late.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
You will need to work out , if you do decide to sell, where.
If you sell on here or fb there shouldn't be fees.
Look at sales posts, it's always PayPal f&f or buyer pays fees.
On eBay there will be fees which could mount up, if there's a lot. There is a thread on here about the new payment system and if it's cheaper than PayPal on eBay
Good luck

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
MikeSW327 said:
First off, Hi to all,

I'm Mike and have been collecting for many years.

This is an unusual first post as I am actually thinking of selling my entire collection.

The dilemma I have is that I am now aged 52 and after 35 years would like to get back on a 125cc (or bigger) bike, but need cash to do it.

Having got rid of the Star Wars toys I had as a child and wanting them back, I started collecting vintage Star Wars toys from the late 90's and stopped just a few years ago.

I therefore have a huge collection, well over 300 figures, all the 12" figures (apart from 15" IG88), about 80% of all the toys (ships/vehicles, playsets, accessories, games, cases etc etc) made by Palitoy and Kenner for Star Wars with many in their boxes. They are also all kept in sealed boxes in the loft so I don't see them and also take up about 1/3 of the loft area even stacked on top of each other! If I had a big enough area and display cabinets I'd put them on display, but I don't.

What I can't seem to decide is whether this is a good time to sell? do you think as the generation that remembers the original movies and toys gets much older that these will start losing their values? Will I regret selling them? (personal I know).

Cheers all for opinions, comments and possibly a hard time :|

Welcome Mike.

MikeSW327

Cheers all for the welcome and advice.

I think the next step is to get the collection out of the loft (no mean feat :shock: ), but this is going to take sometime and I'll probably wait until I have more room, so maybe in a few months time once I clear some space.

I'll then sort it all out and decide what I want to do.

Will keep you all posted if I decide to go ahead and sell all or part of the collection.

Cheers
Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom