Important changes to ebay exports into Europe

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I received this message from eBay today. Just thought I'd draw your attention to it in case you did not receive it.

From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay's IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay's IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay's IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

If you continue sending parcels through the Post Office without pre-purchasing labels through Click & Drop or the other alternatives set out below, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

To simplify the process, we will enrol you into the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) by 1 July. You will receive an email once we have successfully opted you in with further details and a link to opt-out should you wish to do so. GSP will ensure that the IOSS is correctly transmitted and that all customs charges/processes/international delivery is taken care of. All you have to do after a sale transaction is post your parcel to the UK Shipping Centre. Learn more here.

If you wish to continue to post packages to Europe yourself using the Royal Mail or an express carrier service, the alternative postage methods available to you, where you can electronically declare eBay IOSS to your carrier are:

- eBay labels Packlink.
- Royal Mail Click & Drop account linked to eBay account. Labels can be dropped off at the Post Office once printed.
- Buy postage online with a carrier (Hermes/Parcel2Go/DPD/UPS) and electronically declare eBay's IOSS number.

All the best,
eBay

Leemcl

Jedi Master
What is the point of eBay in 2021 for private sellers. Seems like a massive pain now with prices on the up and delays in payments and if anything goes wrong you get feck all support. I used to use it all the time, but this year it's been something mostly ignored.

maxf

Jedi Master
It's really sad how collecting has devolved. When I started, I'd get stuff from all over the world with no real troubles - and I'd sell equally globally. Now services seem to be worse, far more expensive with tons of added bureaucracy and risk (not just Brexit related, but seemingly to all markets). Twin this with the rise in prices meaning it's more of a financial concern if something is lost or delayed for months makes buying from outside the UK quite unpleasant.

I've gone from global to rather insular again, which seems rather backwards.

lejackal

Grand Master
maxf said:

This sums up Sooo many current problems, collecting and otherwise

(Edit: I don't mean you specifically 😂)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I just noticed that when I look at ebay uk and search for sold items then the price is higher on most auctions out in the menu. But when I open the auction that was sold then the sales price is lower. Is that because of the vat ? :?

An example in the menu I search for boba fett figures, I find one that sold for £38.75 but when I open the auction then it say it was sold for £31 :? That is very confusing. So is the sales price for the buyer £38.75 ? :?

_Lee_

Sith Lord
maxf said:
It's really sad how collecting has devolved. When I started, I'd get stuff from all over the world with no real troubles - and I'd sell equally globally. Now services seem to be worse, far more expensive with tons of added bureaucracy and risk (not just Brexit related, but seemingly to all markets). Twin this with the rise in prices meaning it's more of a financial concern if something is lost or delayed for months makes buying from outside the UK quite unpleasant.

BRING BACK QXL!!! Some of the oldies might remember that auction site that battled with Ebay for a while!!

Well said Max. I dont really use.Ebay now because of the managed payments but I still will use it in emergencies.

I remember he days of buying job lots of 5-6 ROTJ mocs for around $70 posted from the USA A few had some dings or dents but for the most part you could have purchased most figures from as little as the money I was spending. The good old days are long gone now, and demand along with a growing collector base has changed it forever. It is increasingly difficult to find any such bargain like that nowadays especially with AFA ,UKG and other grading companies. Prices are way too high and before long it's all going to implode costing people a lot in the long term. The same is happening with Topps Star Wars card collecting especially higher graded vintage Star Wars series cards.

Now, what all you need to do is rush out buy all the Star Wars items you can get your hands on in Poundland and you can surely put it away for retirement. :wink:

I am so happy that I experienced the 70s,80s, 90s and early 2000,s as a fan and collector - nothing can beat that. :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I received this message from eBay today. Just thought I'd draw your attention to it in case you did not receive it.

From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay's IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay's IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay's IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

If you continue sending parcels through the Post Office without pre-purchasing labels through Click & Drop or the other alternatives set out below, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

To simplify the process, we will enrol you into the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) by 1 July. You will receive an email once we have successfully opted you in with further details and a link to opt-out should you wish to do so. GSP will ensure that the IOSS is correctly transmitted and that all customs charges/processes/international delivery is taken care of. All you have to do after a sale transaction is post your parcel to the UK Shipping Centre. Learn more here.

If you wish to continue to post packages to Europe yourself using the Royal Mail or an express carrier service, the alternative postage methods available to you, where you can electronically declare eBay IOSS to your carrier are:

- eBay labels Packlink.
- Royal Mail Click & Drop account linked to eBay account. Labels can be dropped off at the Post Office once printed.
- Buy postage online with a carrier (Hermes/Parcel2Go/DPD/UPS) and electronically declare eBay's IOSS number.

All the best,
eBay

I just noticed that when I look at ebay uk and search for sold items then the price is higher on most auctions out in the menu. But when I open the auction that was sold then the sales price is lower. Is that because of the vat ? :?

An example in the menu I search for boba fett figures, I find one that sold for £38.75 but when I open the auction then it say it was sold for £31 :? That is very confusing. So is the sales price for the buyer £38.75 ? :?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Yes VAT is automatically added by eBay. In the case of the U.K. our VAT is 20%. I won an auction the other day in Germany and the price was much higher than expected as I forgot they would be adding the 20%. Luckily I had a friend i could send it to in Germany and they'll forward on at standard postage rates.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Yes VAT is automatically added by eBay. In the case of the U.K. our VAT is 20%. I won an auction the other day in Germany and the price was much higher than expected as I forgot they would be adding the 20%. Luckily I had a friend i could send it to in Germany and they'll forward on at standard postage rates.

Thanks, I did not know all this about ebay :shock: I am glad that your friend in germany could help you :D so you do not need to pay the VAT on ebay if you can mail it to another guy in that country or if seller will mail it with a low value to you ? :?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The former. You must purchase it with an address registered in that particular European country otherwise eBay will automatically add the VAT addition. Once arrived with friend they can forward on at a lower price to avoid VAT, custom import taxes etc

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
The former. You must purchase it with an address registered in that particular European country otherwise eBay will automatically add the VAT addition. Once arrived with friend they can forward on at a lower price to avoid VAT, custom import taxes etc

oh, so I need to have a deal with one where I could mail it to before buying, thanks for the warning :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom