What are the best ways to photograph Acrylic cased MOC's?

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
Hi All

I want to take some decent photographs of my collection but all my items are MOC's and they are either AFA graded or stored in Acrylic cases.

The biggest problem I have is the light reflecting against the case surface. In some of my MOC pictures you can see the image of me holding the camera on the case lol.

I know some of you use light boxes (something I’ve never attempted) to take great pictures of loose figures can these be used to photograph MOC’s well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know many of you have put up some great pictures of your MOC’s on the forum.

Cheers Jay

lee gray

Sith Lord
sometimes its a pain as usually get a bit of reflection no matter what, I tend to take the pic at a slight angle which helps though as when you do it face on then u got no chance lol

gustie

Sith Lord
hi Jay

i have a figure in a star case... and i could also experiment taking pics of glass and CD cases.... ill post the results from in my lightbox later if u like?

PhantomShadow

Jedi Knight
jaymassive619 said:
I know some of you use light boxes (something I’ve never attempted) to take great pictures of loose figures can these be used to photograph MOC’s well?

I've only ever taken a couple of pics of acrylic cased items and that was when I was just messing about after getting a light tent. Spent some time figuring out what the best light to use etc.

In this one I just had my light source too close but the only reflection is the card of the bottom of the case
boot1.jpg

The best way I find is to photograph the item on black (or dark) background. My light tent has a cover over the front with a hole for the camera - unfortunately its white and reflects light. Solved by a large bit of black cloth with a hole for the camera. (make sure the hole is big enough for the lens and the focusing sensor on the camera)

Also try angle the camera so your looking down so you have less chance of catching any reflection from your light sources. Also if possible, try have the light source above the item. This picture has the same item twice (was just for showing someone, so I combined 2 pictures) with 2 different light sources from above and the camera looking down on it slightly.
c3hel.jpg

spoons

Grand Master
I use a white light tent with a front cover with a hole in, and look directly down on the case. My problem is that the camera lens gets reflected, and my camera tends to focus on the case rather than the card.

It's an ok result but not brilliant,

3ESB31AMouldedlegsfrontb.jpg

I also take a shot of the case at an angle, which works better but means you don't get a flat shot.

3ESB31AMouldedlegscasesm.jpg

There's some guys out there that take fantastic flat shots, I just don't know how :(

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
gustie said:
hi Jay

i have a figure in a star case... and i could also experiment taking pics of glass and CD cases.... ill post the results from in my lightbox later if u like?

Nice one Pete that would be spot on!

Phanton Shadow and Spoons those pictures are certainly better than mine!

Pardon the ignorance but ive never built a lightbox its sounds like this maybe the way forward does anybody have any advice diagrams regarding lightboxes?

It would be cool if this thread helps us work out the optimum way to photograph MOC's in acrylic cases by pooling together all our results and knowledge (your knowledge not mine lol)

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Pretty good results for individual pieces can be had by using natural light (no flash) on a window cill. If you shoot directly from above and manually focus (if possible) on the card and not the case you can get a half decent shot.

Otherwise light boxes are the way to go as they minimise reflections. You can knock up a quick wooden frame and pin a white sheet to it and by using a direct light source either side you should have a reflection free, shadow free pic.

Joe

Grand Master
You always seem to take nice pictures of your AFA figures Darth!

gustie

Sith Lord

BatintheBelfry

Padawan
gustie said:
my box is like that

i used bristol board for the floor and back and muslin fabric from the sides and top

I made one up last weekend, but haven't got round to using it yet. Hopefully it'll give some good results and might convince me to take a few half-decent pics of my collection.

gustie

Sith Lord
MIMRY.jpg

this was leaning forwards and stood up - still a bit of reflection...

i maybe could turn the WB up a little....

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:

Thanks Joe, I've probably got an unfair advantage in that my camera kit cost the price of a small car :oops: but most compact cameras can do a great job if there's plenty of natural light.

PhantomShadow

Jedi Knight
gustie said:
this was leaning forwards and stood up - still a bit of reflection...

i maybe could turn the WB up a little....

White background is reflecting your light

spoons said:
I use a white light tent with a front cover with a hole in, and look directly down on the case. My problem is that the camera lens gets reflected, and my camera tends to focus on the case rather than the card.

I use the same. Again the white is reflecting the light on to the rim of your camera lens (a camera hood might help reduce this if you still want to use white). The photo you took looking down at an angle is better. Add a black background and replace your cover with a bit of black cloth with a hole for the camera and you should get good results

spoons

Grand Master
PhantomShadow said:
spoons said:

I use the same. Again the white is reflecting the light on to the rim of your camera lens (a camera hood might help reduce this if you still want to use white). The photo you took looking down at an angle is better. Add a black background and replace your cover with a bit of black cloth with a hole for the camera and you should get good results

Thanks PS - I think I have a hood for the camera, a black funnel/ring that attaches onto the lens?

The problem with a black background is that I prefer to adjust the white balance in photoshop rather than on my camera - I can never tell quite how the pic will come out on the camera, and that would be difficult with a black backgorund

but I'll give it a go and see how it turns out :)

spoons

Grand Master
looks like the light box works well :)

I tried Phantom Shadows trick of using a dark background and the photos were much clearer, but I still got the white of the light tent reflected on the acrylic case

Bollux

Grand Master
Darth Wensleydale said:
whiteskinnydroid said:

Thanks Joe, I've probably got an unfair advantage in that my camera kit cost the price of a small car :oops: but most compact cameras can do a great job if there's plenty of natural light.

surely a polarising filter would help stop the reflection as well!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom