Replacing wiring/electronics in vehicles

Matt-88

Padawan
I've got a few vehicles with motors that don't work any more (well assuming that, it could be the wiring or contacts). What are peoples views on rewiring them and replacing the motors to get them working again? It would be easy to do but how does this affect the value? On one hand I feel its defacing the item by taking out original parts (even though they don't work and can't be seen) and on the other I'd love to have them working again.

Matt-88

Padawan
I've cleaned the contacts on them and opened them up and spun the motors for quite a while which seem to spin freely, don't feel stiff or anything. Still didn't work after this. Should I give WD40 a go? I wouldn't have thought this would make much difference if they are spinning ok already?

Matt-88

Padawan
Perfect suggestion thank you! Just opened up my AT-AT again and jumped the motor directly with a 9v battery and now they whole thing works. Tried the same on my b-wing and the motor works directly but doesn't as part of the circuit, going to clean the contacts and switch again but not having much hope for that. Is it work swapping the wiring? I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, thinking perhaps one of the wires is broken inside its insulation or something.

Matt-88

Padawan
Ok stripped it down again to try the motor, motor works, wiring all works (connecting a 9v to the two battery compartment wires directly, used the switch and it worked). When I stick batteries in though nothing. I'm guessing those tiny little metal contacts are knackered or something. I've tried cleaning them but still no luck, any suggestions? Really difficult to get to them too as they are inside the battery compartment and look like two tiny rivets at the bottom.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom