SNAGGLETOOTH COO IDENTIFICATION

J_G

Padawan
i am a year into re-collecting vintage star wars and have been concentrating on cardbacks. since being on SWFUK et al i've become aware of collectors collecting loose figures by COO. i thought it would be interesting to see if any of my childhood collection of loose figures had any 'rare' COOs. i cannot seem to identify the COO on my red snaggletooth using this comprehensive guide:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/COO-GUIDE-h21.htm#Snaggletooth

as you can see from the photo the 'hong' is present but the 'kong' has been scarred out in a similar way to the pbp figure in the above guide. it looks too clean to be childhood wear.

is this a variation?

your expert knowledge and help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

jonathan.

mumbo

Sith Lord
You need the help of a member who is a coo expert and he goes by the name of Snaggletooth, I kid you not :D there are other members who should also have the knowledge.

walkie

Sith Lord
Wolff says it all, snippet from RS on the subject.

Ill have to add some points to the so called "scarred out coo". This is the only one which is roughly done and with lots of additional material (tin-lead mixture?) on top of the former coo. Thats the reason why the look of these can change while producing them in high numbers. The fact is that these "fill-ups" can change or become damaged, fully or partially because of wear on the molds. A famous example is the half scarred Snaggletooth.

013117.jpg

To me it's clear that half of the "scar" broke off while producing full scarred figures. Lots of them where produced and this mistake wasnt fixed or was changed very late (Perhaps it was simply not noticed in a busy factory). Thats why there are quite a few of them existing. In case of the Lando Bespin scars it is difficult to be sure what happend exactly. There are lots of different scars known, on some scars even single letters can be seen (again?). The fact is the Lando is one of the more common scarred figures and also there was not only one mold to produce him. However, regarding other scarred out figures we can assume that there was 2-4 different scarred out molds (in most cases 2 different scars are known on Greedo, ATAT Commander, Biker Scout, etc.). But there is a real large number of Lando scars excisting. Well, the only way to explain this is that the "fill-ups" often broke out and in this case often were repaired or the fill-ups were renewed. Its of course just a theory but I think it makes the most sense.
There is another curious scarred out COO which I like to mention. The only known scarred out COO where a country mark was stamped on top of the scar is the famous Macao Biker Scout. Not only is this unique in the world of COOs but even better, PBP altered it again and removed the "Macao", you can say "scarred out the scar".

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
Looks like a Spanish PBP Figure coo but I'm still wet behind the ears. But like Mumbo said Snaggletooth or AussieJames will be able to help you with this figure.

Check this out in the meantime
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/a-guide-to-loose-figures/introduction-coos/

Edit: great post by Walkie I'm a slow typer :lol:

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
Thanks for the kind words fellas, but I'm hardly an expert lol. From my short experiance these are much rarer that the full scar IMO and there is only 2 different scars as far as I've seen when It comes to Snaggletooth, unlike lando, Hoth ST and Han Hoth which all have scars that change during the production life of the mold. I don't know if its if is coincidence but the only one I've seen with a card was a made in Spain Kenner card.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Jonathan, that coo guide is not complete as you can see. There is a lot of coo variants out there that is not in that guide.

I also have one of this, but I would say it is not easy to find. It took me a lot of time to find this one with that coo.

Sorry I do not know where it came from, but I believe that scott is right :D

plantainman

Jedi Master
Pomse2001 said:
Hi Jonathan, that coo guide is not complete as you can see. There is a lot of coo variants out there that is not in that guide.

Indeed. See below...

snaggletooth said:
Thanks for the kind words fellas, but I'm hardly an expert lol. From my short experiance these are much rarer that the full scar IMO and there is only 2 different scars as far as I've seen when It comes to Snaggletooth, unlike lando, Hoth ST and Han Hoth which all have scars that change during the production life of the mold. I don't know if its if is coincidence but the only one I've seen with a card was a made in Spain Kenner card.

Actually, I am of the thinking there's 3 different scars Scott, COO's 4, 5, & 6, Peace...

Source : PLANTAINMAN'S COO VARIANTS

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Thanks plantainman for that little coo guide, damn know I have a few more to hunt. I though I had them all :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom